orange juice in England

Old October 30th, 2003, 10:09 PM

Default orange juice in England

Another thread was discussing the availability of orange juice at
breakfast in English hotels.

Leaving aside the issue of refills, it has struck me that OJ in English
hotels/B&Bs is often supplied in very small glasses compared with, say,
milk or Coke. It occurred to me tonight that this could be a hangover from
the period of rationing during and after WWII when oranges were extremely
scarce in England.

Plausible?
Old October 30th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Peter L

wrote in message
Another thread was discussing the availability of orange juice at
breakfast in English hotels.

Leaving aside the issue of refills, it has struck me that OJ in English
hotels/B&Bs is often supplied in very small glasses compared with, say,
milk or Coke. It occurred to me tonight that this could be a hangover from
the period of rationing during and after WWII when oranges were extremely
scarce in England.

Plausible?

I guess milk and Coke was plentiful during WWII.

Old October 30th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Monty

Leaving aside the issue of refills, it has struck me that OJ in English
hotels/B&Bs is often supplied in very small glasses compared with, say,
milk or Coke. It occurred to me tonight that this could be a hangover from
the period of rationing during and after WWII when oranges were extremely
scarce in England.

Good one I think it's rather a matter of style. I can imagine that now
orange juice is avialable across Europe and people who serve it have no
memories of WWII.

Konrad

Old October 30th, 2003, 11:14 PM
James Silverton

wrote in message
Another thread was discussing the availability of orange juice at
breakfast in English hotels.

Leaving aside the issue of refills, it has struck me that OJ in English
hotels/B&Bs is often supplied in very small glasses compared with, say,
milk or Coke. It occurred to me tonight that this could be a hangover from
the period of rationing during and after WWII when oranges were extremely
scarce in England.

Plausible?

Orange juice was fairly readily available as a concentrate in Britain during
the war tho' fresh oranges were not always available. I must agree that I
regard a reasonable serving of orange juice as about 8oz and that tends to
be more than one gets in Europe unless having a buffet breakfast. Coke,
AFAIK or remember, was not available to the general populace during the war.
An enduring memory is finding it on sale in London in 1945!

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old October 30th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Keith Willshaw

wrote in message
Another thread was discussing the availability of orange juice at
breakfast in English hotels.

Leaving aside the issue of refills, it has struck me that OJ in English
hotels/B&Bs is often supplied in very small glasses compared with, say,
milk or Coke. It occurred to me tonight that this could be a hangover from
the period of rationing during and after WWII when oranges were extremely
scarce in England.

Plausible?

Nope

I cant say I've noticed anything different between hotels
in the UK as compared to the US. Small glasses is matter
dictated by coroporate bean counters in some tower block in
Des Moines or Birmingham and is under the item 'managing
costs'

Personally I avoid eating breakfast in big chain hotels anywhere
in the world, they are almost wothout exception rip offs.

Keith

Old October 31st, 2003, 12:35 AM
JB

Jenn wrote in news:jenn-1428CD.18122630102003
@news.vanderbilt.edu:
\
I find it a somewhat yucky idea -- but if the goal is caffeine in the
morning, it is not really different from a sugared cup of coffee

Except that a cup of coffee has between 1 and 4 times as much caffeine as
an equal serving of Coke, depending on the roast, brewing method, etc.

Old October 31st, 2003, 12:36 AM
Miguel Cruz

Barney wrote:
Leaving aside the issue of refills, it has struck me that OJ in English
hotels/B&Bs is often supplied in very small glasses compared with, say,
milk or Coke. It occurred to me tonight that this could be a hangover from
the period of rationing during and after WWII when oranges were extremely
scarce in England.

It's the same story in the USA (miserly little glasses for orange juice).

And recently declassified documents show that Roosevelt secretly diverted
precious UK-bound orange supplies to the USA by the boatload in order to
prop up the faltering but strategically crucial marmalade industry, so
clearly WWII isn't the culprit.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/