orange juice in England

Old October 31st, 2003, 12:59 AM
Bob Fusillo

Default orange juice in England

Somewhere, years ago, I read that 4 ounces of OJ gives all the vitamins that
one can absorb from it -- any more is merely thirst quench.
rjf
wrote in message
Another thread was discussing the availability of orange juice at
breakfast in English hotels.

Leaving aside the issue of refills, it has struck me that OJ in English
hotels/B&Bs is often supplied in very small glasses compared with, say,
milk or Coke. It occurred to me tonight that this could be a hangover from
the period of rationing during and after WWII when oranges were extremely
scarce in England.

Plausible?

Old October 31st, 2003, 01:33 AM
Lennart Petersen

skrev i meddelandet
Another thread was discussing the availability of orange juice at
breakfast in English hotels.

Leaving aside the issue of refills, it has struck me that OJ in English
hotels/B&Bs is often supplied in very small glasses compared with, say,
milk or Coke. It occurred to me tonight that this could be a hangover from
the period of rationing during and after WWII when oranges were extremely
scarce in England.
Plausible?

They've the same small glasses in almost every hotel where I've stayed.
Also if there's a buffet breakfast,as usual nowadays, so you have to run
several times.
A more practical way is probably to fill several glasses at the same time
but that's probably considered bad manners.
No doubt the whole thing is to save.

Old October 31st, 2003, 02:00 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Lennart Petersen wrote:
skrev i meddelandet

Another thread was discussing the availability of orange juice at
breakfast in English hotels.

Leaving aside the issue of refills, it has struck me that OJ in English
hotels/B&Bs is often supplied in very small glasses compared with, say,
milk or Coke. It occurred to me tonight that this could be a hangover from
the period of rationing during and after WWII when oranges were extremely
scarce in England.
Plausible?

They've the same small glasses in almost every hotel where I've stayed.
Also if there's a buffet breakfast,as usual nowadays, so you have to run
several times.
A more practical way is probably to fill several glasses at the same time
but that's probably considered bad manners.
No doubt the whole thing is to save.

Or you can simply fill your cup or water glass with juice. FFM

Old October 31st, 2003, 03:36 AM

In article , (James
Silverton) wrote:

wrote in message
Another thread was discussing the availability of orange juice at
breakfast in English hotels.

Leaving aside the issue of refills, it has struck me that OJ in
English
hotels/B&Bs is often supplied in very small glasses compared with,
say,
milk or Coke. It occurred to me tonight that this could be a hangover
from
the period of rationing during and after WWII when oranges were
extremely
scarce in England.

Plausible?

Orange juice was fairly readily available as a concentrate in Britain
during
the war tho' fresh oranges were not always available. I must agree that
regard a reasonable serving of orange juice as about 8oz and that tends
be more than one gets in Europe unless having a buffet breakfast. Coke,
AFAIK or remember, was not available to the general populace during the
war.
An enduring memory is finding it on sale in London in 1945!

IIRC Coca-Cola moved into Europe in a big way with the American forces in
the latter part of the war. The company sent Coke-makers (for want of a
better term) over with the army; they stayed and established
distributorships.

Having said that, I believe it was available pre-war, just much less
widely. (All this comes from an excellent history of the company, my copy
of which I gave away a few years ago, so I can't provide precise details.
IIRC the book is called "For God, Country and Coca-Cola".)
Old October 31st, 2003, 08:26 AM
nightjar

wrote in message
Another thread was discussing the availability of orange juice at
breakfast in English hotels.

Leaving aside the issue of refills, it has struck me that OJ in English
hotels/B&Bs is often supplied in very small glasses compared with, say,
milk or Coke. It occurred to me tonight that this could be a hangover from
the period of rationing during and after WWII when oranges were extremely
scarce in England.

Plausible?

It would be rude to offer a huge tumbler of liquid that some people might
have difficulty lifting or holding. It is much better to supply a smaller
glass and a facility to keep topping it up.

Colin Bignell

Old October 31st, 2003, 09:21 AM
Marie Lewis

In article , James Silverton
writes
I must agree that I
regard a reasonable serving of orange juice as about 8oz

Reasonable for whom? 4 oz is reasonable for me.
--
Marie Lewis