Motorists hit by card clone scam

Old April 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.finance,uk.rec.driving
Deeply Filled Mortician

Default Motorists hit by card clone scam

Make credence recognised that on Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:50:03 +0100,
Graham Murray has scripted:

"Tom Bradbury" writes:

Maxwell Keegel, first secretary of the Sri Lankan High Commission in London,
said: "They extract the pin and details from the cards and within minutes
this information is sent to LTTE agents who operate in remote parts of the
world, as far away as Thailand and Indonesia.

"And the money goes unwittingly from people's accounts and ends up going
into the LTTE's arms activities."

Surely it must raise (hopefully very loud) alarm bells if a card is used
in quick succession in two widely separated locations. As it is claimed
that the PIN is captured, this implies that the fraud involves
cardholder present transaction (or withdraw from ATMs) using a cloned
magnetic stripe card. As the same card cannot legitimately be in two
places at once or be moved too rapidly from one place to another, should
this type of fraud not be easier to detect than CNP frauds?

Lloyds TSB cancelled one of my credit card when I flew into Hong Kong.
They could have called me before doing this, but they didn't.

When I finally got through to them, they said the process to
reactivate the card could take a few days.

Great, so you can **** it up easily, but you can't un**** it without a
great effort. I changed banks after that.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.finance,uk.rec.driving
Runge1

Default Michaelnewport the NG nuisance

You never reply to anyone and if I had to read a comment some day by
michaelnewport, I would quickly go scrub my eyes with soap !!
No fear, michaelnewport has strictly nothing to say, whether on topic or out
of topic.
Anyone can verify that.
To prove he exists, he pollutes with articles and viruses.

"sLuGhUnTeR" a écrit dans le message de news:
On Apr 21, 2:20 pm, "Gio" wrote:
"Runge1" wrote in message

Incredible the number of people who think they just must post news
articles they haven't written themselves !!!
Not a comment, which would be OT anyway, not a mind for themselves,
crosspost is preferable, and let us compete between evleth (the mother
of
all spammers), martin, michaelnewport aka crapman, morrow and a few
others.
What drives these people to act like that?
Old age ?
Sense of uselessness ?
No one to tell them they are brave and beautiful ?

"Tom Bradbury" a écrit dans le message de news:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6578595.stm

Thousands of motorists who use a bank card to buy petrol are thought to
have lost millions of pounds in a scam allegedly linked to Tamil
rebels.

I agree with you, the link would say it all. Having said that top posting
is
not viewed as polite on newsgroups, so as in life, no one is perfect ;-)

The link is there to prove the validity of the article
I prefer to have both, then I can read it without opening another
window.
But I never reply to scRunge because he is worthless.

Old April 21st, 2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.finance,uk.rec.driving
Runge1

LOL
WHEN I WHISTLE, YOU JUST RUN OUT OF UNDER THE BED.

"Tommy" a écrit dans le message de news:
Runge1 wrote:
Incredible the number of people who think they just must post news
articles they haven't written themselves !!!
Not a comment, which would be OT anyway, not a mind for themselves,
crosspost is preferable, and let us compete between evleth (the
mother of all spammers), martin, michaelnewport aka crapman, morrow
and a few others. What drives these people to act like that?
Old age ?
Sense of uselessness ?
No one to tell them they are brave and beautiful ?

And who rocked your boat you miserable old fart ? :-)

Old April 21st, 2007, 07:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.finance,uk.rec.driving
nightjar

"Graham Murray" wrote in message
"Tom Bradbury" writes:

Maxwell Keegel, first secretary of the Sri Lankan High Commission in
London,
said: "They extract the pin and details from the cards and within minutes
this information is sent to LTTE agents who operate in remote parts of
the
world, as far away as Thailand and Indonesia.

"And the money goes unwittingly from people's accounts and ends up going
into the LTTE's arms activities."

Surely it must raise (hopefully very loud) alarm bells if a card is used
in quick succession in two widely separated locations.

Unless they are daft enough to use the cards immediately, that probably
won't flag up as suspicious on many cards and, if it does, it will be a
toss-up as to whether a real transaction or a fraudlent one trips the flag.
In any case, given enough cards, losing a few to suspicious transactions
won't matter much.

As it is claimed
that the PIN is captured, this implies that the fraud involves
cardholder present transaction

Except that two of my online customers appear to have had their cards cloned
as part of this. Fortunately for them, one did not work and the other looked
wrong, so I investigated it in more depth, decided to refuse the sale and
wrote to the customers about it - the only reliable information being the
cardholder's address. In those cases, the cards were used from London.

Colin Bignell

Old April 21st, 2007, 07:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.finance,uk.rec.driving
Tom Bradbury

The Siri Lankans are running petrol stations in Europe?

What's wrong with that? Pakistanis have been running corner shops here for
years.

Old April 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.finance,uk.rec.driving
RAK

"Tom Bradbury" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6578595.stm

Thousands of motorists who use a bank card to buy petrol are thought to
have lost millions of pounds in a scam allegedly linked to Tamil rebels.

cut

The card scams are certainly happening.
But I wonder if the Sri Lanka embassy is blaming some Tamil opposition in
the UK as a way of getting at them, getting the police on their backs.

If the Tamil Tiger claims came from a more neutral source than the Sri Lanka
embassy I would be more convinced.

Old April 21st, 2007, 08:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.finance,uk.rec.driving
NM

"Tom Bradbury" writes:

[...]

Exactly the same happened to me, I was stuck in Amsterdam over a long
weekend with no cash, loads of associated aggro, I used ATM's and fuel
outlets I had used many times before but this came up on their computer
as possibly fraudlent. Their attitude was unbelievable, their final
advice being I should get a friend or relative to Western Union me some
money. I have just changed my bank and have a current claim in the
County Court against the Halifax Bank for wrecked weekend plus
compensation.
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.finance,uk.rec.driving
Alan Holmes[_2_]

"Runge1" wrote in message
You never reply to anyone and if I had to read a comment some day by
michaelnewport, I would quickly go scrub my eyes with soap !!
No fear, michaelnewport has strictly nothing to say, whether on topic or
out of topic.
Anyone can verify that.
To prove he exists, he pollutes with articles and viruses.

What are you talking about?

Old April 21st, 2007, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.finance,uk.rec.driving
William Black

"Deeply Filled Mortician" wrote
in message ...
Make credence recognised that on Sat, 21 Apr 2007 18:17:22 GMT, "Tom
Bradbury" has scripted:

The Siri Lankans are running petrol stations in Europe?

What's wrong with that? Pakistanis have been running corner shops here
for
years.

Aren't they just brown Brits?

Most of them, yes.

Those that aren't do rather tend to be Bangladeshi rather than Pakistani.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old April 21st, 2007, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.finance,uk.rec.driving
Alan Holmes[_2_]

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
The Siri Lankans are running petrol stations in Europe?

Are they?

Why?