4th of July in Paris alone, any suggestions on where to meet other Americans?

Old June 28th, 2004, 07:35 PM
R Michael Guterres

Default 4th of July in Paris alone, any suggestions on where to meet other Americans?

I'm going to Paris on Friday and would like to know if anyone
knows of any 4th of July parties or activites for americans.

I'll be alone over there and it would be great to join
any activities on July 4.
Old June 28th, 2004, 08:08 PM
jenn

R Michael Guterres wrote:

I'm going to Paris on Friday and would like to know if anyone
knows of any 4th of July parties or activites for americans.

I'll be alone over there and it would be great to join
any activities on July 4.

attend the American church when you get there -- either they will be
sponsoring something or you can network and find out
Old June 28th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Runge

I shouldn't be commenting that, but what a traveller afraid of being alone
in a strange country !!
Well you could spend the evening at Mc Donalds to remind you of home, but
now Ill be more helpful : pick a copy of Fusac (see their site) and you'll
see where to go apart from the church...
Try Harrys bar rue Daunou...
I really cant understand why you come in the first place...Is it sooo
difficult to forget your country for one single evening ??

om...

Old June 28th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Calif Bill

"Runge" wrote in message
I shouldn't be commenting that, but what a traveller afraid of being alone
in a strange country !!
Well you could spend the evening at Mc Donalds to remind you of home, but
now Ill be more helpful : pick a copy of Fusac (see their site) and you'll
see where to go apart from the church...
Try Harrys bar rue Daunou...
I really cant understand why you come in the first place...Is it sooo
difficult to forget your country for one single evening ??

"R Michael Guterres" a écrit dans le message de
om...
I'm going to Paris on Friday and would like to know if anyone
knows of any 4th of July parties or activites for americans.

I'll be alone over there and it would be great to join
any activities on July 4.

I guess you ignore Bastille day when traveling?

Old June 28th, 2004, 10:44 PM
JX Bardant

"R Michael Guterres" a écrit dans le message de
om...
I'm going to Paris on Friday and would like to know if anyone
knows of any 4th of July parties or activites for americans.

Isn't there some reception at the American embassy ?

Old June 29th, 2004, 12:21 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jenn wrote:

R Michael Guterres wrote:

I'm going to Paris on Friday and would like to know if anyone
knows of any 4th of July parties or activites for americans.

I'll be alone over there and it would be great to join
any activities on July 4.

attend the American church when you get there -- either they will be
sponsoring something or you can network and find out

I think I'd be a bit hesitant to attend one. Ordinarily I don't put
much stock in all the "the French hate Americans" crap, but such a
distinctly American festival might draw some unwelcome attention from
Arab Moslems there. (Or perhaps not - who knows?)

Old June 29th, 2004, 12:35 AM

Runge wrote:

I shouldn't be commenting that, but what a traveller afraid of being alone
in a strange country !!

How do you deduce from his post that he's "afraid" of anything?
Perhaps "family" holidays don't exist in France (although I would find
that hard to believe). In the U. S. Thanksgiving, Christmas (or
Passover) and Independence Day are traditionally family celebrations.
If one is alone at such times, with nothing special to do, one CAN be
lonely.

Well you could spend the evening at Mc Donalds to remind you of home, but
now Ill be more helpful : pick a copy of Fusac (see their site) and you'll
see where to go apart from the church...
Try Harrys bar rue Daunou...
I really cant understand why you come in the first place...Is it sooo
difficult to forget your country for one single evening ??

The issue is not one of "forgetting" ANYTHING - purely one of feeling
lonely on an occasion when he is accustomed to being with people,
partying. I'm sure if he were invited to dinner or a party by French
friends it would allieviate the loneliness adequately, even though your
holiday comes ten days later, on 14 July.

Old June 29th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Såndor, the Gypsy Baron

rdynamix wrote:

I'm going to Paris on Friday and would like to
know if anyone knows of any 4th of July
parties or activites for americans.

I'll be alone over there and it would be great to
join any activities on July 4.

If my memory serves me right, this question was asked this time last
year.

(sigh) Things just don't change. Other countries still refuse to
celebrate the Fourth of July. And now even Iraq's Independence Day is a
week earlier than the "real" Independence Day.

Sandor

Old June 29th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Mxsmanic

JX Bardant writes:

Isn't there some reception at the American embassy ?

No more so than there is a party at Fort Knox.