4th of July in Paris alone, any suggestions on where to meet other Americans?

Old June 29th, 2004, 03:18 AM
Mxsmanic

Default 4th of July in Paris alone, any suggestions on where to meet other Americans?

Runge writes:

I really cant understand why you come in the first place...Is it sooo
difficult to forget your country for one single evening ??

Maybe it's a business trip.

Old June 29th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Mxsmanic

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

I think I'd be a bit hesitant to attend one. Ordinarily I don't put
much stock in all the "the French hate Americans" crap, but such a
distinctly American festival might draw some unwelcome attention from
Arab Moslems there.

No, it won't. It would be a greater potential target for terrorists, in
theory, but the risk of that is still very low.

Old June 29th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Mxsmanic

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

In the U. S. Thanksgiving, Christmas (or
Passover) and Independence Day are traditionally family celebrations.
If one is alone at such times, with nothing special to do, one CAN be
lonely.

One can be, but one need not be. They are just days like any others. I
haven't spent any of these holidays with anyone in many years, and I'm
not lonely.

The issue is not one of "forgetting" ANYTHING - purely one of feeling
lonely on an occasion when he is accustomed to being with people,
partying.

If it were only that, then any gathering of people would suffice--it
wouldn't have to be for the Fourth of July. And as far as "partying"
goes, one can get drunk just about anywhere in Paris.

Old June 29th, 2004, 03:22 AM
Mxsmanic

Default 4th of July in Paris alone, any suggestions on where to meet ot...

Såndor, the Gypsy Baron writes:

(sigh) Things just don't change. Other countries still refuse to
celebrate the Fourth of July. And now even Iraq's Independence Day is a
week earlier than the "real" Independence Day.

Iraq was already independent before it was invaded.

Old June 29th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Tim Kroesen

Quasimodo... Is that you...?

Tim K

--
Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me

directly.

Old June 29th, 2004, 06:34 AM

Mxsmanic wrote:

Såndor, the Gypsy Baron writes:

(sigh) Things just don't change. Other countries still refuse to
celebrate the Fourth of July. And now even Iraq's Independence Day is a
week earlier than the "real" Independence Day.

Iraq was already independent before it was invaded.

Not according to our president!

Old June 29th, 2004, 06:40 AM

Mxsmanic wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

I think I'd be a bit hesitant to attend one. Ordinarily I don't put
much stock in all the "the French hate Americans" crap, but such a
distinctly American festival might draw some unwelcome attention from
Arab Moslems there.

No, it won't. It would be a greater potential target for terrorists, in
theory, but the risk of that is still very low.

That's why I included the "perhaps not" - despite the unpopularity of
our government, I've not noticed any anti-American feeling in my
travels. (Like the myth of the "rude" Parisians, it would appear to be
more due to the attitude of the American tourist encountering people of
other countries, and thus self-fulfilling prophecies.)

Old June 29th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:20:37 -0400, Såndor, the Gypsy Baron wrote:

If my memory serves me right, this question was asked this time last
year.

Probably the best time to ask. I'd have thought.

--
Tim C.
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:46 AM

Mxsmanic wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

In the U. S. Thanksgiving, Christmas (or
Passover) and Independence Day are traditionally family celebrations.
If one is alone at such times, with nothing special to do, one CAN be
lonely.

One can be, but one need not be. They are just days like any others. I
haven't spent any of these holidays with anyone in many years, and I'm
not lonely.

Perhaps it depends upon how long you've been without a family? When I
first struck out on my own, I suffered agonies of homesickness on
holidays - until I learned to find other things to occupy me. Of
course, it helps to remind oneself that they are, indeed "just days like
any others", but it may take a bit longer (and a few more holidays
alone) before one convinces oneself of the fact.

Old June 29th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Earl Evleth

On 29/06/04 3:20, in article
, "Såndor, the Gypsy Baron"
wrote:

rdynamix wrote:

I'm going to Paris on Friday and would like to
know if anyone knows of any 4th of July
parties or activites for americans.

I'll be alone over there and it would be great to
join any activities on July 4.

If my memory serves me right, this question was asked this time last
year.

(sigh) Things just don't change. Other countries still refuse to
celebrate the Fourth of July. And now even Iraq's Independence Day is a
week earlier than the "real" Independence Day.

There is a French-American celebration at Lafayette's tomb in the Picpus
cemetery. This includes a US Marine Band playing the US national
anthem. Lafayette was given American citizenship for his contributions
of time, money and stirring up support in France at the time of the American
revolution. My wife once watch it from the window of a hospital room next to
the cemetery (well placed in case of doctor errors, the trip is
short!).

This year the 4th is on a Sunday, but if it had occurred during the
week the American Library in the 7th would have been closed, and I
suspect the American University in the same arrondissement. Embassy
services also. But these are closed Sunday anyway, so this year
that doesn`t count.

Perhaps one of the few American restaurants in Paris (like Joe Allen's)
does something. But it is not a biggie in France, the big one comes
two weeks later when the French celebrate the historical significant
but ridiculous taking of the Bastille. They then tore down what now
would be a great tourist spot to visit. Fortunately one can still
visit a period fort at Vincennes. Which I recommend.

Earl