4th of July in Paris alone, any suggestions on where to meet other Americans?

Old June 29th, 2004, 09:08 AM
JX Bardant

Default 4th of July in Paris alone, any suggestions on where to meet other Americans?

Mxsmanic wrote in message . ..
JX Bardant writes:

Isn't there some reception at the American embassy ?

No more so than there is a party at Fort Knox.

French embassies do it for the 14th of July, that's why I ask.
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Rita

Default 4th of July in Paris alone, any suggestions on where to meet ot...

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:42:47 +0200, Earl Evleth wrote:

Perhaps one of the few American restaurants in Paris (like Joe Allen's)
does something. But it is not a biggie in France, the big one comes
two weeks later when the French celebrate the historical significant
but ridiculous taking of the Bastille. They then tore down what now
would be a great tourist spot to visit. Fortunately one can still
visit a period fort at Vincennes. Which I recommend.

I recently read that when the Bastille was torn down by an angry
mob it had only seven prisoners in confinement.
Old June 29th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Mxsmanic

JX Bardant writes:

French embassies do it for the 14th of July, that's why I ask.

The French aren't as cowardly as the Americans in this respect. Try
stopping by the U.S. embassy in Paris to say hi, and see how far you
get.

Old June 29th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Mxsmanic

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

Not according to our president!

So?

Old June 29th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Mxsmanic

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) writes:

Perhaps it depends upon how long you've been without a family?

I don't think so. I wasn't lonely on the first holidays I spent alone,
either.

Old June 29th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Mxsmanic

Rita writes:

I recently read that when the Bastille was torn down by an angry
mob it had only seven prisoners in confinement.

The Bastille wasn't torn down by a mob. They free the prisoners (only
seven or so, as you correctly believe), and killed the staff. The
Bastille stood for much longer. You can still see the remains of one of
the towers in Paris, although it has been moved from its original
location. It wasn't very big, but it was sturdy. The most famous
prisoner was probably the "man in the iron mask," who stayed there for a
while.

Old June 29th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Rita

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:03:40 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Rita writes:

I recently read that when the Bastille was torn down by an angry
mob it had only seven prisoners in confinement.

The Bastille wasn't torn down by a mob. They free the prisoners (only
seven or so, as you correctly believe), and killed the staff. The
Bastille stood for much longer. You can still see the remains of one of
the towers in Paris, although it has been moved from its original
location. It wasn't very big, but it was sturdy. The most famous
prisoner was probably the "man in the iron mask," who stayed there for a
while.

Yes, I miswrote. The Bastille was torn down later. But I was surprised
to learn it had housed only 7 prisoners at the time of the uprising.

Old June 29th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Earl Evleth

On 29/06/04 15:00, in article ,
"Mxsmanic" wrote:

JX Bardant writes:

French embassies do it for the 14th of July, that's why I ask.

The French aren't as cowardly as the Americans in this respect. Try
stopping by the U.S. embassy in Paris to say hi, and see how far you
get.

They don`t do "hi" in American Embassies! They would rather have
nothing to do with you, an American coming generally requires
work or is trouble.

You go there when you have to do something which can include

1) lost or renewing one`s passport

2) getting forms from the IRS, tax matters in general.

3) social security issues.

4) if you need a list of lawyers who also speak English.

But as a one time member of AARO, we used to have meetings and receptions
at the Ambassadors residence, which is snazzy. These were paid for by
us and the Ambassador gives a speech. Then we eat. Usually quite well,
a nice buffet. One time, however, they had canapés with peanut butter
on them that I THOUGHT WAS FOIE GRAS.

Shocking, I wrote a letter of protest about this gastronomic crime
against humanity. I gagged and sputtered on peanut butter expecting
foie gras. God was not blessing me at the moment in life.

After being in France 15-20 years (30 now) we decided being members of
American organizations was not worth it, except Democrats Abroad and the
American Library. So no more Embassy receptions and no more peanut butter
canapés.

Oh yes, they are American friendly at the American library, even their
British employees! They say hello rather than hi, or hi ya, or something
very American. Sometimes I automatically say "bon jour", which they
also understand.

Earl