How to best get along in Europe?

Old November 18th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Geoff McCaughan

Ellie C wrote:

Whale oil beef hooked

Hoof hearted? Ice melted.

--
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:23:33 GMT, devil
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:08:22 -0800, Hatunen wrote:

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:30:17 GMT, devil
wrote:

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:23:52 +0000, chancellor of the duchy of besses o'
th' barn wrote:

Oh, I think Peter Jennings's "US" accent is much better!

Sure. Isn't he Canadian?

Not any more. He took out US citizenship, I believe.

So?

Standup comedian Yakov Smirnov, from Russia, used to say that if
he now lived in Germany he would never be a German, and if he
lived in France he would never be a Frenchman, but after only
five years in America now he is an American.

Hey, to the folks in Louisiana Russia is no more different than Texas or
Ohio. All us folks are weird. Now they are friendly to weird folks but
they you're not local and that's all that counts.

Old November 18th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Jim Ley

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 03:11:42 -0800, Icono Clast
wrote:

adamadamant wrote:
I dislike intensely business lunches or (increasingly) food
brought into meetings solely for that reason,

I understand the reason for your dislike but do you understand why
the food's brought in to a meeting rather than recessing for a meal?
The obvious answer is the employer is screwing the employees out of
the personal time to which they're legally and morally entitled and
is probably not paying them overtime for that meal that should be on
the employees' own time. It's theft, pure and simple, the theft of
the employees' personal time.

Er, that's not really been my experience - us employees still take are
full lunch hours, the food is just the bribe that gets you to attend
rather than making some believable but incorrect excuse to avoid the
pointless meeting.

Jim.

Old November 18th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Icono Clast

Jim Ley wrote:
Icono Clast wrote:
adamadamant wrote:
I dislike intensely business lunches or (increasingly) food
brought into meetings solely for that reason,

I understand the reason for your dislike but do you understand why
the food's brought in to a meeting rather than recessing for a meal?
The obvious answer is the employer is screwing the employees out of
the personal time to which they're legally and morally entitled and
is probably not paying them overtime for that meal that should be on
the employees' own time. It's theft, pure and simple, the theft of
the employees' personal time.

Er, that's not really been my experience - us employees still take are
full lunch hours, the food is just the bribe that gets you to attend
rather than making some believable but incorrect excuse to avoid the
pointless meeting.

Excellent! Good to hear.
A San Franciscan who's stickin' t'the union!
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Jaraf

By going on this web site : http://jaraf.veutalleravalence.com
Old November 18th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Jaraf

By going on this web site : http://jaraf.veutalleravalence.com
Old November 18th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Hatunen

th' barn wrote:

Oh, I think Peter Jennings's "US" accent is much better!

Sure. Isn't he Canadian?

Not any more. He took out US citizenship, I believe.

So?

Standup comedian Yakov Smirnov, from Russia, used to say that if
he now lived in Germany he would never be a German, and if he
lived in France he would never be a Frenchman, but after only
five years in America now he is an American.

My point as, although American, Peter Jennings probably remains Canadian.

Are you asssessing his mental state? How do you do thata?

Old November 21st, 2004, 07:25 PM
Jesper Lauridsen

On 2004-11-15, Emilia wrote:

This should be done only in restaurants where they de-bone the fish for you
at the table. I know a lovely one in Porto if you're interested....

I have never had my fish "de-boned" for me in a restaurant.
Old November 21st, 2004, 07:25 PM
Jesper Lauridsen