Sure glad to be back where they worship the almighty dollar

Old October 10th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Timothy Kroesen

But the *concept* is Italian...g

"The word "graffiti" expresses the plural of "graffito", although the
singular form has become relatively obscure and is largely used in art
history to refer to works of art made by scratching the design on a
surface. Both of these English words come from the Italian language,
most likely descending from "graffiato", the past participle of
"graffiare" (to scratch); ancient graffitists scratched their work into
walls before the advent of spray-paint."

Just like the Paparazzi...

"If you were to see a casual photographer around town and called him a
paparazzi, beware; he might be tempted to throw his camera at you,
especially if he considers himself to be a photojournalist. So what's
the difference you may ask? The answer is in the meaning of paparazzi,
"buzzing insects."

In 1960, these pesky freelance journalists were immortalized in Federico
Fellini's internationally popular film La Dolce Vita, Italian for "The
Sweet Life."(See pic.1 below) La Dolce Vita focuses on the life of a
jaded journalist, Marcello (played by Marcello Mastroianni), and his
photographer colleague, Paparazzo (Walter Santesso). The origin of the
name Paparazzo is disputed, but its onomatopoeic resemblance to the
Sicilian word for an oversize mosquito, papataceo,made it apt to compare
with Fellini's statement: "Paparazzo suggests to me a buzzing insect,
hovering, darting, stinging." Fellini also drew an image of the
character in which he describes; the drawing is of a human-like figure
that has no bone structure and instead, looks like a vampirish
insectile, implying that paparazzi, like mosquitoes, are also parasites.
(see pic.2 below)

After the movie was first released in Italy, the word paparazzi became
synonymous with intrusive photographers who chase the stars to get that
revealing act on film..."

Chao...Italianos!

Tim K

"Keith W" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
Funny. The guide in Pompeii said they had graffiti on the walls

there
-- long before the Mayflower.....

There is graffitti on the walls of caves inhabited by Neanderthals
but the craze for street gangs tagging anything and everything
came from New York city in the 60's

Keith

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups

=----

Old October 10th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Padraig Breathnach

"Keith W" wrote:

You have to be kidding, the craze for grafitti came from the
USA in the first place and I saw plenty of it Ohio and
California when I lived there

But what language does the word come from?

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old October 10th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Keith W

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
"Keith W" wrote:

You have to be kidding, the craze for grafitti came from the
USA in the first place and I saw plenty of it Ohio and
California when I lived there

But what language does the word come from?

What part of the expression 'craze for grafitti' did you not
understand ?

Graffiti has always existed but in the 60's and 70's certain aspects
youth subculture got into the habit of daubing graffiti over every
surface, specifically that mindless subset called tagging arose
in NYC and spread across Europe.

In the same way it arrived later in Europe its dying out here later
too.

Keith

Old October 10th, 2005, 04:56 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Magda wrote:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:09:38 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, Padraig Breathnach
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this :

... "Keith W" wrote:
... You have to be kidding, the craze for grafitti came from the
... USA in the first place and I saw plenty of it Ohio and
... California when I lived there
... But what language does the word come from?

Don't confuse him with facts, Padraig...

What facts were contradicted?

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old October 10th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Keith W

"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy"
wrote in message
news:1h4871v.hiod4b14zarm3N%this_address_is_for_sp ...

:

... "Keith W" wrote:
... You have to be kidding, the craze for grafitti came from the
... USA in the first place and I saw plenty of it Ohio and
... California when I lived there
... But what language does the word come from?

Don't confuse him with facts, Padraig...

What facts were contradicted?

Neither Padraig nor Magda seem to understand that the
expression 'craze for grafitti' does not have the same meaning
as the word grafitti. I suppose its all part of the dumbing down
of Usenet.

Keith

Old October 10th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Padraig Breathnach

"Keith W" wrote:

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
.. .
"Keith W" wrote:

You have to be kidding, the craze for grafitti came from the
USA in the first place and I saw plenty of it Ohio and
California when I lived there

But what language does the word come from?

What part of the expression 'craze for grafitti' did you not
understand ?

What part of irony do you not understand?

Old October 10th, 2005, 05:25 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Magda wrote:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 17:04:55 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, "Keith W"
arranged some electrons, so they
looked like this:

... Neither Padraig nor Magda seem to understand that the
... expression 'craze for grafitti' does not have the same meaning
... as the word grafitti. I suppose its all part of the dumbing down
... of Usenet.

Your collaboration in the "dumbing down" is priceless.

And yours is for free!