Curious

Old January 21st, 2006, 11:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Curious

Hello,

Just wanted to know how many REGULAR visitors here speak other languages.
I'm just curious. If you could post what other languages (besides English)
you speak. (Also if you speak non-American English this would be
interesting to know.) Please just post real quick for me. Thanks.

Myself: German Spanish.

Lava

Old January 21st, 2006, 11:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Lava" wrote in message
k.net...

Just wanted to know how many REGULAR visitors here speak other
languages.
I'm just curious.

I speak British English, and French.

Ian

Old January 21st, 2006, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Lava" wrote in message
k.net...
Hello,

Just wanted to know how many REGULAR visitors here speak other languages.
I'm just curious. If you could post what other languages (besides

English)
you speak. (Also if you speak non-American English this would be
interesting to know.) Please just post real quick for me. Thanks.

Myself: German Spanish.

English English, passable schoolboy French; tourist smatterings of Dutch,
German, Spanish; bits of Welsh.

Old January 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Lava" wrote:

Hello,

Just wanted to know how many REGULAR visitors here speak other languages.
I'm just curious. If you could post what other languages (besides English)
you speak. (Also if you speak non-American English this would be
interesting to know.) Please just post real quick for me. Thanks.

Hiberno-English, Irish Gaelic, passable but not fluent French.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:28:13 GMT, "Lava"
wrote:

Hello,

Just wanted to know how many REGULAR visitors here speak other languages.
I'm just curious. If you could post what other languages (besides English)
you speak. (Also if you speak non-American English this would be
interesting to know.) Please just post real quick for me. Thanks.

English (British), Italian, and survival level Russian, Indonesian and
French (in order of quality).
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Lava wrote:

Just wanted to know how many REGULAR visitors here speak other languages.

How would you describe a regular? Any minimum number of posts
necessary?

If you could post what other languages (besides English)
you speak.

Russian, French, German, Odenwald-Franconian (in ascending order)

Myself: German Spanish.

Where in the world do they speak German Spanish? Must be somewhere on
the Baleares ...

Jens
Old January 21st, 2006, 02:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

Hello,

Just wanted to know how many REGULAR visitors here speak other languages.
I'm just curious. If you could post what other languages (besides English)
you speak. (Also if you speak non-American English this would be
interesting to know.) Please just post real quick for me. Thanks.

Myself: German Spanish.

Lava

German (reasoably fluent although I don't write it very well)

French (useful knowledge - read it better than I speak it)

Dutch -(useful knowledge - read and understand it better than I speak
it)

At one time I could get by in Spanish, but not so well now because I
haven't used the language much for a few years.

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old January 21st, 2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

French

Old January 21st, 2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Lava" wrote in message
k.net...
Hello,

Just wanted to know how many REGULAR visitors here speak other languages.
I'm just curious. If you could post what other languages (besides

English)
you speak. (Also if you speak non-American English this would be
interesting to know.) Please just post real quick for me. Thanks.

Myself: German Spanish.

Lava

British English is my only fluent language.
I do speak a little american english
As for the rest it depends what you mean by 'speak'
I cant carry only a conversation in any other language (except a very simple
one in French)
But can follow a business conversation in:
French
German
Italian
Scandinavian (they all sound the same to me and I seem to know what they are
saying)

Old January 21st, 2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Lava" wrote in message
k.net...
Hello,

Just wanted to know how many REGULAR visitors here speak other languages.

British English (mother tongue)
French (tolerable to fluent)
German (survival level)
Arabic (just enough to swear at a taxi driver - a surprisingly useful
skill!)

T.