Curious

Old January 21st, 2006, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Curious

"Lava" wrote in message
k.net...
Hello,

Just wanted to know how many REGULAR visitors here speak other languages.
I'm just curious. If you could post what other languages (besides

English)
you speak. (Also if you speak non-American English this would be
interesting to know.) Please just post real quick for me. Thanks.

Myself: German Spanish.

Lava

American English (called "General American" here, i.e. non-accented).
French, though not fluently.
Some Mandarin, soon to be improved.
Enough tourist Spanish, Italian and Portugese to get by when we travel.

Old January 21st, 2006, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Dual Nationality (WAS: Curious)

"Earl Evleth" wrote in message
On 21/01/06 12:28, in article
, "Lava"
wrote:

American English by birth, youth and a less
than half by adult years. French for the last 30 years.
Dual national. My wife has the same profile and publishes
professionally in both languages.

Earl, could you tell me how US dual nationality works? I'd like my wife,
who is a naturalized American, to be able to maintain her other citizenship,
but it seems impossible. Do you have French parents? Were you born in
France?

Thanks.

Old January 21st, 2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:28:13 GMT, Lava wrote:

Hello,

Just wanted to know how many REGULAR visitors here speak other languages.
I'm just curious. If you could post what other languages (besides
English)
you speak. (Also if you speak non-American English this would be
interesting to know.) Please just post real quick for me. Thanks.

Myself: German Spanish.

Native: American English, Pacific Northwest variety
High-school level: Spanish
Tourist/Survival: French, Swedish

I've found that I can manage in the Queen's English as well. :-)

===
Stephen Dailey
Shoreline, Washington USA

21 Jan 2006, 1151 PST
Old January 21st, 2006, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

PTravel wrote:

Earl, could you tell me how US dual nationality works? I'd like my wife,
who is a naturalized American, to be able to maintain her other citizenship,
but it seems impossible. Do you have French parents? Were you born in
France?

I'm not Earl, but I, and my children, are all dual nationals.
Whether or not your wife can maintain her original citizenship, depends
very much on the laws of that country, as the US now recognises the fact
that its citizens may also be considered citizens of other nations. Some
nations automatically strip their citizens of their nationality upon
naturalisation in other countries, some don't.
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:40:13 GMT, "PTravel"
wrote:

"Lava" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hello,

Just wanted to know how many REGULAR visitors here speak other languages.
I'm just curious. If you could post what other languages (besides

English)
you speak. (Also if you speak non-American English this would be
interesting to know.) Please just post real quick for me. Thanks.

Myself: German Spanish.

Lava

American English (called "General American" here, i.e. non-accented).
French, though not fluently.
Some Mandarin, soon to be improved.

Oh, I forgot, I have some rudimentary Mandarin as well.

Enough tourist Spanish, Italian and Portugese to get by when we travel.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:42:46 GMT, "PTravel"
wrote:

Earl, could you tell me how US dual nationality works? I'd like my wife,
who is a naturalized American, to be able to maintain her other citizenship,
but it seems impossible. Do you have French parents? Were you born in
France?

Whether she can maintain her other citizenship depends entirely on the
other nationality. The US has no objection.

Old January 21st, 2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Lava wrote:

Hello,

Just wanted to know how many REGULAR visitors here speak other languages.
I'm just curious. If you could post what other languages (besides English)
you speak. (Also if you speak non-American English this would be
interesting to know.) Please just post real quick for me. Thanks.

Myself: German Spanish.

I speak English with what sounds to me now a faint Scots accent, but
Americans often get excited about it, and in particular find certain
vowels amusing- e.g. the way I say 'put.' (People in Scotland often
think I sound more American than Scottish after 11 years there- in
reality my accent is a bit mixed, and not just with those two.)

My first language is actually Norwegian (I grew up there as a young
child, and my mum is from there) but I don't speak it much now.

My French is passable, school level I suppose, but I've held
'professional' discussions OK- though I still can't claim to recognise
everything on a French restaurant menu. My German is OK for a tourist.
My Italian used to be OK, but I haven't practised for a while and I
think my increase in Spanish has 'interfered' a bit. My Spanish is
pretty good- not fluent, but I can take part in most conversations. Me
speak it a lot at home- my partner is from Peru. Reading in all those
languages is OK, though I can't claim to know all the words!

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org