Curious

Old January 30th, 2006, 09:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Curious

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:34:46 +0100, "Terry Richards"
wrote:

I moved to France two years ago and am still suddenly remembering words I
learned in high school some 35 years ago and that I had "forgotten" in

the
meantime.

Human memory is a lot more complicated than you might think.

Have you tried doing an intensive French course, lots of stuff I
thought I had forgotten for ever fifty years ago came flooding back.

I haven't taken a course, I think I'm doing OK without it. Of course, I may
be fooling myself but I don't think so. Even my doctor, who is justly proud
of his skill in English, talks to me in French.

The weird thing is that I wasn't particularly good at French in high school.
I did OK and got a "middle of the range" O-level but wasn't exceptional. Now
I'm here it, as you say, just comes flooding back. I have no idea why this
should be, all the other English people I know that would have learned
French at about the same time are really struggling.

T.

Old January 30th, 2006, 09:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 01:10:55 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:08:12 +0100, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Martin writes:

When Ireland joined the EU it was one of the poorest countries now
look at it.

Yes, now it's the second- or third-poorest (in Western Europe), along
with Portugal and Greece, IIRC.

Idiot

Sometimes one word is all he deserves.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of
besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h offy

they have enlarged the seafood bars, don't expect to find me
looking for sarnies!

How is it for takeaway though? (I do like the seafood bars as well.)

the seafood bar does takeaways!
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Martin

A newly invented simple test.
When you buy tomatoes do you?
a) Go to a fruit stall
b) Go to a vegetable stall
c) Pick your own from the neighbours allotment and spend the money
saved on beer.

you go to a fruit and veg stall, perfectly named for something
that is both.
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Martin

I can tell an old fruit when I see one, me old fruit.

I thought you might say that me old vegetable. :-)

people do call me Mr Marrow sometimes :-