Brooklyn Welcomes Cruise Ships!

Old April 17th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Charles

In article . net,
Benjamin Smith wrote:

There are long-term cruise fans that aren't satisfied with today's
generic product or are tepid to it.

Carnival is going to do what it takes to make maximize profit. Carnival
markets to the mass consumer market. That is who they will attempt to
satisfy the most. Not folks who are interested primarily in the ships
over the cruise experience, or those who want the cruise experience to
be like it was ten or fifteen years ago.

Given the current system, you can just sit in an armchair and whine
about the way things were and how you dislike how they are now, but it
isn't going to change anything as long as the cabins are selling. The
only thing that may move Carnival or RCI is if the cabins stop selling.

--
Charles
Old April 17th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Benjamin Smith

Charles wrote:

Given the current system, you can just sit in an armchair and whine
about the way things were and how you dislike how they are now

Analysis, critical thinking forming an opinion equals whining. I think not.

Ben S.
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:07 PM
E.k.R.

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...
Charles wrote:

Given the current system, you can just sit in an armchair and whine
about the way things were and how you dislike how they are now

Analysis, critical thinking forming an opinion equals whining. I think
not.

Ben S.

Well put Ben. Just because we don't like some of the turns the cruise
industry is taking, we are supposed to shut up and drink the coolade like
everyone else. Or better yet ... we are labeled "whiners". Sounds like the
same rationale many have regarding our current administration, except in
that case you are "unpatriotic" if you don't support our current President
as the knowing, all being ... basically God! Sorry, but it doesn't work
that way. I have a vested interest in the cruise industry and after almost
60 cruises I consider myself a pretty good customer. Damn straight the
cruise lines should listen to what I have to say. My business is probably
more important than Joe Blow that takes one cruise every 10 years.

Thank God there are people willing to speak out for what they believe in!

Ernie

Old April 17th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Charles

In article . net,
Benjamin Smith wrote:

Analysis, critical thinking forming an opinion equals whining. I think not.

What critical thinking? You keep harping on the cruise line not
satisfying a group of people they are not trying to satisfy. People to
whom ships are a hobby are not their market. Their market is the
average Joe Blow who does not do ship tours, know the quality of
furnishings and probably won't remember the exact name of the ship in a
year. The market is for those who are booking a cruise vacation and
don't care that all those balconies make the ship look like somewhat
like an apartment block.

--
Charles
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Charles

In article , E.k.R.
wrote:

I have a vested interest in the cruise industry and after almost
60 cruises I consider myself a pretty good customer. Damn straight the
cruise lines should listen to what I have to say. My business is probably
more important than Joe Blow that takes one cruise every 10 years.

Joe Blow's business is more important than your business to the cruise
lines. They have to fill all those cabins. There are many more Joe
Blow's than hobbyists.

--
Charles
Old April 17th, 2005, 11:56 PM
E.k.R.

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
Joe Blow's business is more important than your business to the cruise
lines. They have to fill all those cabins. There are many more Joe
Blow's than hobbyists.

--
Charles

You don't think my business helps to fill cabins? It most certainly does,
and much more often then Joe Blow. I don't ever remember having my business
as a "hobbyist" as you call it, turned away from any cruise line. Besides
having an interest in ships, I am a regular cruise passenger just like
everyone else. I enjoy cruises for the same reasons that many of us on
r.t.c. do .... and fortunately I get to take more than the average person.
Since I cruise on all the cruise lines usually multiple times, I probably
have a better understand of the industry and the direction it's heading in
then the person who sails one line, maybe a couple times every 10 years. I
would say it's only natural my observations are a little more in depth and
passionate than the average cruiser.

Besides, if cruise lines were not interested in my thoughts, then why have I
been invited to participate in panels by several cruise lines regarding my
opinions on a wide range of cruise related topics?

Ernie

Old April 18th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Charles

In article , E.k.R.
wrote:

You don't think my business helps to fill cabins? It most certainly does,
and much more often then Joe Blow. I don't ever remember having my business
as a "hobbyist" as you call it, turned away from any cruise line. Besides
having an interest in ships, I am a regular cruise passenger just like
everyone else. I enjoy cruises for the same reasons that many of us on
r.t.c. do ....

You said ships and cruises were a hobby in one of your earlier posts in
this thread. That is where I got that word, from you. In the same post
you said the ship itself was more important to you than the actual
cruise experience.

and fortunately I get to take more than the average person.
Since I cruise on all the cruise lines usually multiple times, I probably
have a better understand of the industry and the direction it's heading in
then the person who sails one line, maybe a couple times every 10 years. I
would say it's only natural my observations are a little more in depth and
passionate than the average cruiser.

Yes, because you get to take more (travel industry rates?) you naturaly
become more discerning than the person who only sails a few times every
few years. But you are not the average customer, the average customer
who makes up most of the market is who they need to fill the ships
because there are a lot more of them. If you didn't sail it would make
little difference to them. When the Joe Blows don't sail even if it is
only a few times a decade they are in trouble. The Joe Blows are the
customer base.

Besides, if cruise lines were not interested in my thoughts, then why have I
been invited to participate in panels by several cruise lines regarding my
opinions on a wide range of cruise related topics?

So have they taken your opinions into account? You don't seem very
happy with the results.......

--
Charles
Old April 18th, 2005, 01:41 AM
E.k.R.

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

You said ships and cruises were a hobby in one of your earlier posts in
this thread. That is where I got that word, from you. In the same post
you said the ship itself was more important to you than the actual
cruise experience.

Ships are a hobby exactly as I stated, but cruises are a form of vacation
that I have always cherished. I love the sea. The ship itself is the most
important thing when I choose a cruise, but none the less if I hated
cruising I would not be taking cruises. Most long time cruisers (even those
who don't have ships as a hobby) such as myself have become more concerning
in regards to what ships we sail on. I am certainly not alone in this
regard. The popularity of certain ships such as QE2 is testament to this.

Yes, because you get to take more (travel industry rates?) you naturaly
become more discerning than the person who only sails a few times every
few years.

I work for an airline. Sometimes I get Interline rates and sometimes I
don't. These days the standard discounted rate is about the same as the
Interline rate. The main reason I am able to cruise often is because I have
the time. I only work an average of 12 days a month (and that is considered
full time as a flight attendant) which enables me to cruise often. The
other advantage is I fly free and I can sail at the last minute. A perfect
combination for any cruise enthusiast.

But you are not the average customer, the average customer
who makes up most of the market is who they need to fill the ships
because there are a lot more of them. If you didn't sail it would make
little difference to them.

I agree I'm not average (who wants to be average?), but there are more and
more people like me that cruise often. In fact when I attend the past
passenger parties I'm rarely the person that has cruised the most.

As for you statement that if I didn't sail it wouldn't make a difference ...
well probably not, but then I am one person just like you. We are all
individuals and if none of us sailed, it would make a huge difference. My
money is no different than the average Joe's, and eventually if the average
Joe takes enough cruises they may feel the same way I do. There is not an
unlimited resource for cruise passengers. Some people will just never
consider a cruise and there will never be an attraction. Others will just
never be able to afford one, even though I consider them a bargain. The
cruise industry MUST court it's past passengers which is exactly why they
have past passenger clubs that offer various benefits. If cruise lines
didn't care about me as a past passenger, then these clubs would not exist.
So yes, my business does make a difference as does any individuals. Every
dollar is important to the cruise industry, including mine.

When the Joe Blows don't sail even if it is
only a few times a decade they are in trouble. The Joe Blows are the
customer base.

For a line like Carnival, absolutely. What about Cunard, HAL, and Crystal?
These lines (especially Cunard) rely heavily on past passengers to fill
ships. Likewise for most every luxury cruise line. Even Celebrity promotes
heavily to it's past passengers. Princess is probably the most aggressive
of all, and probably has one of the largest past passenger databases of any
line.

So have they taken your opinions into account? You don't seem very
happy with the results.......

Some of the items I have suggested have been implemented. I don't know if
it was because of me (or others) or just because it was going to happen
anyway. Of course some haven't and others I was never questioned about.
Most of the panels are very specific to a certain idea or operation of the
cruise line. They are not a free for all.

Ernie

Old April 18th, 2005, 01:43 AM
Surfer E2468

I do not base what i said on my going to phila,but on what people tell
me that still live there,and visit me ,and advise me to keep out of
philly if i value my life

Old April 18th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Surfer E2468

BILL:
That is a good idea,just do not move to jersey,we do not need any more
philadelphians here