room service on Princess Cruises - fee, or not?

Old December 13th, 2010, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rich Greene

Default room service on Princess Cruises - fee, or not?

On 12/13/10 8:36 AM, in article , "Tom K"
wrote:

On 12/13/10 8:23 AM, Ohioguy wrote:
There will be a room service menu in a binder in your cabin, if you
don't see it just ask your cabin steward.

This may sound silly, but does anyone happen to have a copy of a typical
Princess room service menu I could take a look at ahead of time?

It's actually pretty limited. But, why on earth would you want to have
food delivered to your room? Rooms are small, they don't want you
there, except for sleeping. They want you out and about. Plus, why
would you want food that's been sitting around. Go up to the buffet and
get a fresh omelet or eggs benedict. There's all kinds of fresh fruit
on Princess. Cookies. Pastries. A zillion things to pick from. Don't
limit yourself to a room service menu.

I think you'll see that once on board, getting room service makes very
little sense, unless you're a celebrity who wants to stay away from
crowds, and you have a gigantic suite with a dining room table on the
ship. Room are not sized for you to eat in them.

To me, a better scenario... you wake up early, and head up to the buffet
by yourself while your wife is still asleep. Bring back a plate of
chocolate croissants and some cups of coffee, tea or hot chocolate, and
have pre-breakfast nibbles in bed. Then shower and head up to either
the dining room or the buffet.

--Tom

Funny you mention "shower". I just soap down the walls and rub against
them. I wish they were a bit larger. I wonder what people do that are
larger than I. They try to squeeze every inch out of those ships at the
expense of comfort for the guest. If you don't have one of those over
priced suites, and you are with a friend or spouse, you are hard pressed to
move about your cabin at the same time. I usually stay out on the balcony
while my wife gets ready. I'm also a napper, so I have to get in a couple
hours of z's around 3 p.m., then I'm ready to go.

Rich

Old December 13th, 2010, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ohioguy

We have a balcony room. I'm not actually too worried about the space
- I was involved in a spelunking club for a few years, and I enjoy dark,
damp, cramped spaces. My college dorm room was also on the small size,
since it was a room in an old women's marine barracks that the college
had towed onto the campus - about 9' long, 7' wide, and perhaps 8' tall.
I was able to make maximum use of the room by using a bunk bed, and
having my computer and dresser under it.

I was just wondering if the room service menu was pretty much just
stuff they took off of the buffet and wheeled to your room, or if they
had some fancy stuff to choose from.

Regarding the dialup - yes, it is slow for a lot of things. I've
tried using the 'mobile' websites to make some things a bit faster. I
actually signed up for Earthlink cable internet, but when Time Warner
called to hook things up, they wanted my SS#. I explained that I don't
give that out to any of our other utilities, and wouldn't be giving it
out to them, either. It says on my card "not to be used for
identification", and as a matter of principle I stick to that. Anyway,
that has caused a delay in getting the faster cable Internet, because I
had to send a copy of my drivers license to the local Time Warner Cable
folks instead.
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:32 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.cruises
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 12:23:16 -0500, Ohioguy wrote:

We have a balcony room. I'm not actually too worried about the space
- I was involved in a spelunking club for a few years, and I enjoy dark,
damp, cramped spaces.

I have a penis just like that.

My college dorm room was also on the small size, since it was a room
in an old women's marine barracks that the college had towed onto
the campus - about 9' long, 7' wide, and perhaps 8' tall. I was
able to make maximum use of the room by using a bunk bed, and
having my computer and dresser under it.

A computer at college, what are you, 30?

I was just wondering if the room service menu was pretty much just
stuff they took off of the buffet and wheeled to your room, or if they
had some fancy stuff to choose from.

Both.

Regarding the dialup - yes, it is slow for a lot of things. I've
tried using the 'mobile' websites to make some things a bit faster. I
actually signed up for Earthlink cable internet, but when Time Warner
called to hook things up, they wanted my SS#. I explained that I don't
give that out to any of our other utilities, and wouldn't be giving it
out to them, either.

Smart move...however if you pay a large enough deposit or have your
own self-install, they don't require your SSN.

It says on my card "not to be used for identification", and as a
matter of principle I stick to that. Anyway, that has caused a
delay in getting the faster cable Internet, because I had to send a
copy of my drivers license to the local Time Warner Cable folks
instead.

Huh? You do realize that your DL info is enough for them to do a trace
to your SSN.

No, I suppose you don't.
--
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A; C.T.A.S, FREE Cruise Travel Advisory Services
I never have nor ever will solicit or accept a booking.
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:48 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.cruises
Ohioguy

No, I suppose you don't.

Well, my driver's license USED to actually have the SS# on it, but
not since I requested to have it taken off. (figured that would just be
too easy for an identity thief)

Regarding the menus, it looks like this place has a pretty good overview:

http://www.cruiseclues.com/menus.htm
Old December 13th, 2010, 07:26 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.cruises
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 12:48:57 -0500, Ohioguy wrote:

No, I suppose you don't.

Well, my driver's license USED to actually have the SS# on it, but
not since I requested to have it taken off. (figured that would just be
too easy for an identity thief)

Good idea. But once they have a positive ID on you (via your DL), your
SSN is theirs.
Old December 13th, 2010, 08:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

On 12/13/2010 12:23 PM, Ohioguy wrote:
We have a balcony room. I'm not actually too worried about the space - I
was involved in a spelunking club for a few years, and I enjoy dark,
damp, cramped spaces. My college dorm room was also on the small size,
since it was a room in an old women's marine barracks that the college
had towed onto the campus - about 9' long, 7' wide, and perhaps 8' tall.
I was able to make maximum use of the room by using a bunk bed, and
having my computer and dresser under it.

I was just wondering if the room service menu was pretty much just stuff
they took off of the buffet and wheeled to your room, or if they had
some fancy stuff to choose from.

Room service is very simple food, not from the buffet and nothing fancy.
Breakfast mostly is continental, but if you want eggs/bacon or something
simple write it on the card and you might get it. Other then breakfast
it is mostly sandwiches, salads, cookies and some other simple stuff.

Since you do have a balcony, I would do room service breakfast and sit
out on the balcony with it.

sue
Old December 13th, 2010, 08:25 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

On 12/13/2010 12:48 PM, Ohioguy wrote:
No, I suppose you don't.

Well, my driver's license USED to actually have the SS# on it, but not
since I requested to have it taken off. (figured that would just be too
easy for an identity thief)

Regarding the menus, it looks like this place has a pretty good overview:

http://www.cruiseclues.com/menus.htm

This has always been a good website, glad you found it.

sue
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

wrote:

[...]

We never have a problem moving around in the cabin. We have even
showered together. We're not big people, so maybe that's part of it, but
we just don't seem to get in each other's way in the small cabin. In the
2,200 sq. ft. house where only 2 adults and one 8 pound dog live, we are
always in each other's way, however.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old December 15th, 2010, 02:56 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 12/13/2010 1:25 PM, Sue Mullen wrote:

On 12/13/2010 12:48 PM, Ohioguy wrote:
No, I suppose you don't.

Well, my driver's license USED to actually have the SS# on it, but not
since I requested to have it taken off. (figured that would just be too
easy for an identity thief)

Regarding the menus, it looks like this place has a pretty good overview:

http://www.cruiseclues.com/menus.htm

This has always been a good website, glad you found it.

sue

It needs a whole lot of updating.

Old December 15th, 2010, 07:15 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,uk.politics.misc,aus.politics,soc.retirement,rec.travel.cruises
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 19:56:34 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:

Well, my driver's license USED to actually have the SS# on it, but not
since I requested to have it taken off. (figured that would just be too
easy for an identity thief)

Regarding the menus, it looks like this place has a pretty good overview:

http://www.cruiseclues.com/menus.htm

This has always been a good website, glad you found it.

sue

It needs a whole lot of updating.

With an emphasis on *whole*.

From the author:

"Few cruise menu links to this page. Note, not many people publish
menus from their cruises. In addition, the cruise menus are from
different times. Some are recent, but some are from a cruise taken
two or three years ago or more. Within all those photo links we have,
we must have missed some menus from cruises. If you spot any, we
would be grateful if you could point them out. A number of these
cruise ship menus will be changed..."

At best, the website is a sampling of past items which makes it
entertaining but, as the author readily admits, hardly factual for
this day's cruiser.

Fun. That's all.