Cairo in January

Old November 28th, 2011, 08:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Default Cairo in January

Am Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:56:55 +0000 schrieb vid Horne,
_the_ chancellor:

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

(David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*))
wrote in :

The rationale for the guide is that it will avoid hassle from other
would-be guides. Even if being bothered by such people doesn't faze you,
you will inevitably be bothered by them-

Is that everywhere in the country, or just in Cairo? Doesn't sound like
I want to go there.

Unfortunately, almost everywhere you would visit as a tourist.

Yes. I did a cruise on the Nile in the 90ies, and even though we did have a
guide, there were loads of people bothering us at literelly every stop.

I've
never been to the Red Sea resorts, not sure what they're like...

We went to Hurghada, where it was quite hassle-free. We often took the
cheap minibuses, that take the locals to work, to get into town, and nobody
paid much attention of us. What I do remember though, is the large presence
of all kinds of security-guys in town. At big crossings you would have vans
packed with men in black with automatic weapons.
But that could have changed now, I don't know. Generally speaking, I found
Hurghada quite boring, compared to the rest of the country.

Regards,

Frank
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Nov 28, 8:51*am, Frank Hucklenbroich
wrote:
Am Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:56:55 +0000 schrieb Horne,
_the_ chancellor:

Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

(David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*))
wrote :

[...]

Hassling is minimal in the Red Sea resorts 'cos they're protected
artificial plastic tourist sunbathing pods.
Go to any of the major archaeological sites and the lads'll be there,
as in most other tourist centres (Yes- Morocco probably is worst!).
But get a bit adventurous and divert to look at the real country and
you'll find the friendliest people around - and Morocco then redeems
itself by possibly being the friendliest of all.
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 11/27/2011 02:12 AM, paris2venice wrote:
I have two questions:

1) If you as a westerner were in Cairo during the first half of
January 2012, would you go to the Egyptian Museum presuming
demonstrations were existing in Tahrir Square as they have been the
last few days? We're staying on the outskirts of Cairo so other than
the Egyptian Museum and possibly seeing Islamic Cairo, we won't be
anywhere near downtown Cairo for the most part. Is there any way to
learn the open or closed status of the Egyptian Museum on the web?

2) It was recommended to me that we should go everywhere in Egypt with
a tour guide but that doesn't quite make sense to me. Presuming all
is safe, why would I need a tour guide when all we would be doing is
taking a taxi to the Egyptian Museum and going inside for the day?

Thanks a bunch.

A friend of mine is in Cairo right now. He wrote that the police are
"undisciplined" and he had to run when they started firing tear gas, but
people are friendly.
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

tim...... wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

(David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*))
wrote in :

The rationale for the guide is that it will avoid hassle from other
would-be guides. Even if being bothered by such people doesn't faze
you,
you will inevitably be bothered by them-

Is that everywhere in the country, or just in Cairo? Doesn't sound like
I want to go there.

Unfortunately, almost everywhere you would visit as a tourist. I've
never been to the Red Sea resorts, not sure what they're like...

Morroco is worse.

I had no difficulty at all visiting the tourist sights in Morocco on my own
[1] without any hassle at all from locals wanting to be my "guide".

Outside cities it's mostly fine.

What I did have difficulty doing was finding a taxi driver who would take me
3Km "on the meter" rather than for a fixed fare of 20 Euro. Consequently, I
got absolutely knackered walking everywhere.

Red taxis in Fez are metered by law, making them one of the most
reasonably priced taxis I've encountered anywhere. They are very hard to
get from 5 star hotels though...

If Morocco really is worse than Egypt, then it will be a breeze.

It's well known that the medinas in Morocco are a nightmare, and it's
been discussed here by many people in the past.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
paris2venice

On Nov 28, 1:36*pm, Tom P wrote:
[...]

Was he there to get into the Egyptian Museum or was he just hanging
around Tahrir Square to see the protests?
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
paris2venice

On Nov 28, 7:38*am, Markku Grönroos wrote:
28.11.2011 9:30, Wolfgang Schwanke kirjoitti: (David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*))
wrote :

The rationale for the guide is that it will avoid hassle from other
would-be guides. Even if being bothered by such people doesn't faze you,
you will inevitably be bothered by them-

Is that everywhere in the country, or just in Cairo? Doesn't sound like
I want to go there.

Cairo isn't that bad apart from the pyramides. Luxor is full of all sort
of cheap Jacks. Elsewhere this isn't much of an issue. Baksheesh can be
asked in about everywhere but you just ignore anyone approaching you
such requests in mind.

You mean that they pay to go into Giza just to ask for baksheesh from
the tourists?