'Tis the Season.

Old December 4th, 2011, 08:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

Default 'Tis the Season.

I just received my first Xmas cards from Britain a day or so ago and was
impressed by the price of the air-mail stamp used: GBP 1.10, which is
about USD 1.72. The US Post Office is still charging USD 0.98. I wonder
if other European postage rates are as high?
--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Old December 4th, 2011, 09:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 12/04/2011 09:29 PM, James Silverton wrote:
I just received my first Xmas cards from Britain a day or so ago and was
impressed by the price of the air-mail stamp used: GBP 1.10, which is
about USD 1.72. The US Post Office is still charging USD 0.98. I wonder
if other European postage rates are as high?

With the Deutsche Post it depends on the weight.
up to 20g €0.75
up to 50g €1.45

Old December 4th, 2011, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

James Silverton wrote:

I just received my first Xmas cards from Britain a day or so ago and was
impressed by the price of the air-mail stamp used: GBP 1.10, which is
about USD 1.72. The US Post Office is still charging USD 0.98. I wonder
if other European postage rates are as high?

I wondered why I didn't send cards.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old December 4th, 2011, 11:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

On 12/4/2011 6:11 PM, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:
James wrote:

I just received my first Xmas cards from Britain a day or so ago and was
impressed by the price of the air-mail stamp used: GBP 1.10, which is
about USD 1.72. The US Post Office is still charging USD 0.98. I wonder
if other European postage rates are as high?

I wondered why I didn't send cards.

I guess I should have mentioned that the US stamp price is for one
ounce or 28g.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Old December 4th, 2011, 11:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 15:29:36 -0500, James Silverton wrote:

I just received my first Xmas cards from Britain a day or so ago and was
impressed by the price of the air-mail stamp used: GBP 1.10, which is
about USD 1.72. The US Post Office is still charging USD 0.98. I wonder
if other European postage rates are as high?

Two flat envelopes weighing just under 2 lbs cost us
$30 each for the basic First Class from California
to Paris, they did arrive safely which is an achievement
in itself.
Old December 4th, 2011, 11:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Irwell wrote:

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 15:29:36 -0500, James Silverton wrote:

I just received my first Xmas cards from Britain a day or so ago and was
impressed by the price of the air-mail stamp used: GBP 1.10, which is
about USD 1.72. The US Post Office is still charging USD 0.98. I wonder
if other European postage rates are as high?

Two flat envelopes weighing just under 2 lbs cost us
$30 each for the basic First Class from California
to Paris, they did arrive safely which is an achievement
in itself.

I admit it, I don't even know the cost of a first class stamp any more.

Old December 5th, 2011, 12:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

James wrote:

I just received my first Xmas cards from Britain a day or so ago and was
impressed by the price of the air-mail stamp used: GBP 1.10, which is
about USD 1.72. The US Post Office is still charging USD 0.98. I wonder
if other European postage rates are as high?

I wondered why I didn't send cards.

I guess I should have mentioned that the US stamp price is for one
ounce or 28g.

I don't know how much post here costs anymore, all I know is it
generally gets there the next day. I've been saved by this when
forgetting my parents' birthdays until the day before... (assuming it's
not a Sunday or Monday.)

Not something I ever experienced in the US, even for local mail...