Brits don't speak foreign languages

Old December 15th, 2011, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Default lingua anglica Brits don't speak foreign languages

Erilar wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

David Horne wrote:

[]
I have a wireless keyboard in both of my office and studio but that's
inconvenient for travelling...

For traveling I only take the iPad --

I find the iPad such a pointless device- I would get no work done on it
other than maybe emails, even it's browsing is limited. Much more worth
it taking a real computer on the road...

I no longer work for money.

I rarely work for money. It's a great fringe benefit.

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old December 16th, 2011, 04:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2011-12-11 14:44:41 -0600, Erilar said:

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Erilar wrote:

David Horne wrote:
Martin wrote:

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 21:58:19 +0000, (David Horne)
wrote:
[]
And there's OSX...

Anagram of SOX, innit?

Anagram of 'never bothered installing anti-viral software, never had one
yet' I think.

I had a problem with my office macbook a few weeks ago. The 'p' key
stopped working (and a few others it has to be said.) Problem was, my
password had a p in it.

Have you tried cleaning the keyboard?

I think I spilled something on it. Actually, I know I did. The college
doesn't really support macs but they have consultants, so someone picked
it up from my office on the Thursday, slipped the hard drive into a
replacement (this only takes a minute) and I had my own back on Monday
with a new keyboard casing and bezel... I was impressed with the service
(though it would have been paid for...)

Oh, that's very nice. I avoid that by having a keyboard cover, but then
I have a separate keyboard-- much easier on old wrists.

I have a wireless keyboard in both of my office and studio but that's
inconvenient for travelling...

For traveling I only take the iPad -- but its travel cover is a Zaggmate
with keyboard so I don't have to one-finger it if I need to type
extensively.

Presently I publish my travel web pages to web.me.com using iWeb.

Have you come across some kind of substitute for this scheme, to create
web pages like with iWeb and upload to a server?
--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda

Old December 16th, 2011, 04:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Greek language European languages Brits don't speak foreign languages

On 2011-12-12 10:39:22 -0600, David Hatunen said:

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 03:52:29 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Dan Stephenson wrote in

On 2011-12-10 09:57:42 -0600, Wolfgang Schwanke said:

What he said, is that modern Greeks cannot understand the ancient Greek
at all.

Yes. Modern Greek and Ancient Greek are two different languages. It's
like Latin and Italian: One is descended from the other and they are of
course closely related, but distant enough not to be mutually

I have been led to understand that Italian is pretty close to the vulgate
Latin spoken by most people at the time of the Roman Empire and the
vulgate had, at that time, already drifted toward being a different
language than classical Latin. Was there a similar "vulgate" Greek spoken
in ancient times, but all we usually see in ancient texts is the
classical Greek?

So when did Italian start ending all its words with a vowel? Written
Latin does not have that.

Old December 16th, 2011, 01:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:

Partially it does, for example It. donna is Latin domina. Some of the
-o endings in Italian are from Latin -us or -um.

The main point is that Latin had cases and declination, while all
romance languages (Italian Spanish Portuguese Catalan French ...)
descending from it haven't (not sure about Rumenian). So Latin 1st
declination feminine had -a ending at nominative (and ablative as well).
2nd declination (-us masculine -um neutral at nominative) have -o at
ablative. 3rd declination had -e at ablative.

The italian (singular) forms are often identical to the latin ablative.

But the sacred texts say that the romance languages derive their nouns
from Latin accusative (-am -um -um -e) with eventual loss of the
consonant, and language-dependent vowel shifts. In same case it is very
apparent (spanish plural in -os are like latin plural accusative, but
italian plural in -i is like latin plural nominative).

No idea about actual dates of change. Known texts like the "sao ko kelle
terre per kelli fini ke ki kontene", or the inscription in S.Clemente
are around year 1000
Old January 12th, 2012, 03:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alexander Arnakis[_2_]

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 16:39:22 +0000 (UTC), David Hatunen
wrote:

I have been led to understand that Italian is pretty close to the vulgate
Latin spoken by most people at the time of the Roman Empire and the
vulgate had, at that time, already drifted toward being a different
language than classical Latin. Was there a similar "vulgate" Greek spoken
in ancient times, but all we usually see in ancient texts is the
classical Greek?

Yes, it's called Koine ("common") Greek, the language of the New
Testament. When Alexander the Great and his successors conquered the
diverse peoples of the Near East, and Hellenized them, they needed a
simplified form of the language that could be read and pronounced from
texts. So, Classical Greek was reformed by adding punctuation marks
and guides to pronunciation (accent marks and "breathings"). This
became the "lingua franca" of the eastern half of the Roman Empire.
(Written Classical Greek, in its pure form, did not separate the words
by spaces and did not have punctuation marks, accents, or breathings.
The native speakers simply knew by habit how to pronounce it, just as
the Chinese today know how to pronounce their ideograms. As the
Chinese have many local oral dialects, that are not reflected in the
written Chinese language, so too did the ancient Greeks have local
dialects and variations in pronunciation. These tended to become
standardized with the advent of Koine.)

Old January 12th, 2012, 03:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alexander Arnakis[_2_]

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 16:57:42 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

There are some other instances in the world, e.g. in Greece where they
have a high brow register "Katharevousa" ("pure language") which is
intentionally constructed to be similar to Ancient Greek, and an
everyday register "Dimotiki" ("folk language").

This distinction is obsolete, especially since the language reform of
1976, which abolished all accents and "breathings" except for the
acute accent. Greeks today speak and write a single language.

Old January 13th, 2012, 02:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

There are some other instances in the world, e.g. in Greece where they
have a high brow register "Katharevousa" ("pure language") which is
intentionally constructed to be similar to Ancient Greek, and an
everyday register "Dimotiki" ("folk language").

This distinction is obsolete, especially since the language reform of
1976, which abolished all accents and "breathings" except for the
acute accent. Greeks today speak and write a single language.

No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontic_Greek

There are other Greek dialects, like those spoken in Italy, which have
been separated from any kind of Greek spoken in Greece for more than a
thousand years.

Old January 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

There are other Greek dialects, like those spoken in Italy, which have

Surely those who speak it in Italy are Italians?

yes, since ever. The same applies to Arbereshe (albanian-speaking),
Catalans, Croatians, Cimbrians etc. and Walser. These people settled
centuries ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griko_language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calabrian_Greek_dialect
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arb%C3%ABresh%C3%AB
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molise_Croatian_dialect
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cimbrian_language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walser

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoran...e_%28Italia%29

I cannot find a translation for the latter page on linguistic minorities
in Italy, it includes the above cases (ancient settlements usually in
enclaves), as well as more familiar cases near recent (1860- 1918- 1945)
borders (French patois in Val d'Aosta, German in Suedtirol, Slovenian in
Friuli) plus some other local languages (the issue why those are
considered "languages" and other are considered "dialects" is sort of
fishy). It also describes a few cases of enclaves with italian dialects
from a remote part of the country with respect to the surrounding area.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to