Ship Attacks

Old December 4th, 2008, 08:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

Default Ship Attacks

On 12/3/2008 2:27 PM Rosalie B. did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:
[snip]
Tomato juice for deskunking is an old wives' tale. It doesn't work. I
can't remember off the top of my head what does work and I'm on a
cruise ATM so I don't want to waste time googling, but you can do it
yourselves.

[snip again]
I'm on a
cruise ATM

Brian imagining Rosalie on a world cruise in her wet suit aboard a
floating ATM machine... :-D

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:24 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 12/3/2008 10:00 AM Dillon Pyron did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:
[Default] Thus spake "Richard Bird" :

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 17:15:48 -0000, "Richard Bird"
wrote:

Would you prefer to see all the waiters carrying machine guns, grenades,
RPGs Etc while they serve your dinner so that you feel safe while you eat
it, seriously though dont worry all the cruise liners carry an awsome
armoury of long range peashooters, spud guns and catapaults also, the crew
all hold a black belt in origami (if that's spelt right) so you have
nothing
to fear

Hi Richard,

There you go. You let the cat out of the bag! :+)

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
--

Damn i forgot i was sworn to secrecy by the queen herself, Oh well i supose
i will be beheaded now for my indiscretion, silly me

Beheading. I can handle it if the axe gets me at the neck. It's the
other head.
--
- dillon I am not invalid

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams come true.
Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which
will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no
matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Dillon,

That's not beheading! That's bobbitry! i.e. Lorainea Bobbitt.

--
________
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 12/1/2008 5:12 PM James did a "happy dance", then made these writings:
"Ray Goldenberg"

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 13:29:37 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

Adn assuming the security types on the Seabourn work like every
other security type I know, there are various grades of response from
try to outrun 'em to pull out the nukes. So we really can't say that the
lame maneuver is only thing in their arsenal, only the first.

Hi Kurt,

You are absolutely correct, sir.

Best regards,
Ray

The 'rayettes' are always correct. That's how they got to be a 'rayette'

What does Ray Charles' backup singers, The Rayettes, have to do with it?

--
________
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 12/3/2008 9:56 AM Dillon Pyron did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:
[Default] Thus spake "G&V" Bushwick at comcast dot net:

"Ray Goldenberg" wrote in message

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 09:42:36 -0500, "G&V" Bushwick at comcast dot
net wrote:

With the rash of rash of pirate and terrorist stories, the cruise lines must
have contingency plans to repel attacks.
In all the cruises we have taken on many lines, we have never seen any weapons
displayed.
Does anyone know what contingency plans cruise lines have to deal with
attacks.

Hi,

The cruise lines do have elaborate plans for protection that include
special weapons from pirates. Due to security reasons, they do not
publish them for public consumption on the internet. A Seabourn ship
was attacked a few years ago and repelled the attackers with one of
these weapons. You might want to Google long range acoustic device
(LRAD) for more insight.

The cruise lines do have elaborate plans for protection that include
special weapons from pirates. Due to security reasons, they do not
publish them for public consumption on the internet. A Seabourn ship
was attacked a few years ago and repelled the attackers with one of
these weapons. You might want to Google long range acoustic device
(LRAD) for more insight.

I am not talking about that lame stuff.
When you are being attacked with RPG's you need real weapons to repel.
What you are talking about is no secret, it was widely disseminated in the news.
That lame acoustic thing is probably not the reason the attack was broken off.

Um, they were developed for the DoD. Which seems to like them. The
sound pressure levels and the frequencies are specifically designed to
cause incredible pain. I've seen video of them in use. People 100
meters away dropped in pain, unable to even run. The unfortunate side
effect was that three of the test subjects were later found to have
sinus bleeds. Bad for tests but kind of appealing for real world
applications.

What was more likely the attack was broken off for other reasons by the pirates.
I find it hard to believe that the cruise line would put their billion dollar
investment on the line with ONLY such a lame device.

You keep saying lame. Have you done any research into them. But I
agree, that's probably not the only line of defense.

At some point you have to put rounds into bodies.
Small arms fire just can close the distance.
My question is what large caliber weapons does the ship carry.

Why do you need large caliber? I can easily fire a .308 500 meters,
and I'm hardly a marksman. And just getting shot at deters most of

Unless they happen to be jehadist religious fanatics hell bent on
rampant destruction and booty calls, no wait, collecting booty to fuel
the jihad. No, wait that didn't come out right either.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
"The poor dog is the firmest friend, the first to welcome the foremost to defend" - Lord Byron

these pirates.

G&V

Old December 4th, 2008, 06:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_3_]

Ermalee wrote:
Becca wrote:
You should write a book, Nonny. :-)

Becca

Actually, Becca,I have enough of Nonny's stories in my document file
to fill a book. Do ya reckon it would sell?

Ermalee

The book would sell, if you include the "haircut" story. :-)

Becca
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:55 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Brian K :

On 11/29/2008 2:09 PM Nonnymus did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:
George Leppla wrote:

"Nonnymus" wrote

snip

Why stop with cayenne pepper? Use what the Mexicans use, Habanero! You
know what else is the universal repellent for all kinds of nuisance
critters from Canadian Geese (without their green cards), to the odd
rodent - wolf urine. It can be obtained from some zoos or wolf
research centers. Just make sure that the wolf you get it from is not a
female wolf in heat. Wolfs are natural predators of these as well as
raccoons. The scent of wolfs urine scares the "b'jesus" out of 'em;
they either drop dead with fright or run for the hills. Deer don't come
to nosh on my chrysanthemums any more.

Lot's of problems with deer in suburban neighborhoods as the burbs
move further out, here in Austin. Lots of people lose their precious
landscaping to deer. The same people who put out food for them. The
smart people buy wolf urine. You can buy it as a concentrte or a
powder, just mix with water and sprinkle around your garden. You have
to refresh it after a heavy rain, but that hasn't been an issue this
year. Or after watering.

Old December 5th, 2008, 04:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Brian K :

net wrote:

[...]

Sheik Sheik Sheik, Sheik Yabooty.

Old December 5th, 2008, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Dillon Pyron wrote:

Sheik Sheik Sheik, Sheik Yabooty.
--

I believe the proper spelling is Sheik Yerbouti.
Old December 5th, 2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Brian K wrote:

On 12/3/2008 2:27 PM Rosalie B. did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:
[snip]
Tomato juice for deskunking is an old wives' tale. It doesn't work. I
can't remember off the top of my head what does work and I'm on a
cruise ATM so I don't want to waste time googling, but you can do it
yourselves.

[snip again]
I'm on a
cruise ATM

Brian imagining Rosalie on a world cruise in her wet suit aboard a
floating ATM machine... :-D

ATM means At the Moment - which I'm sure you know :-)

The first time I saw LOL, I thought it meant Little Old Lady, and I
thought that SUV meant Single Use Vehicle.
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 12/5/2008 3:36 PM Rosalie B. did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:
Brian K wrote:

On 12/3/2008 2:27 PM Rosalie B. did a "happy dance", then made these
writings:

[snip]
Tomato juice for deskunking is an old wives' tale. It doesn't work. I
can't remember off the top of my head what does work and I'm on a
cruise ATM so I don't want to waste time googling, but you can do it
yourselves.

[snip again]
I'm on a
cruise ATM

Brian imagining Rosalie on a world cruise in her wet suit aboard a
floating ATM machine... :-D

ATM means At the Moment - which I'm sure you know :-)

The first time I saw LOL, I thought it meant Little Old Lady, and I
thought that SUV meant Single Use Vehicle.

It's all alphabet soup. Every form of communication has it, from IT talk
to medical talk. I'm in favor of plain talk. I've modified my Mozilla
Thunderbird spell check to spell things out when I abbreviate them.

--
________