Please help us decide which island to visit

Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:40 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Brian K[_2_]

Default Please help us decide which island to visit

On 11/21/2008 11:57 AM cjra did a "happy dance", then made these writings:
On Nov 21, 10:25 am, " wrote:

On Nov 18, 9:59 am, cjra wrote:

We're hoping to travel to the Caribbean in January for about a week,
but really have no idea where to go... here's some basics:

*would like French speaking but not required
*really don't want an all-inclusive but it wouldn't be the end of the
world
*Family of 3 (mom, dad, 2.5 yo old) so need kid-tolerant but not
specific kid activities...she'll be happy with the sand and water and
a slide somewhere
*somewhere American airlines or Continental flies (since we're trying
to use miles)

I've been to St Croix in the 80s, my husband's never been to the
Caribbean. We're both pretty seasoned travellers and have lived in a
few different developing countries, are quite accustomed to non-luxury
environments. Not really looking for a 'sanitized' version of the
islands but we do have a 2.5 yo and don't want to be backpacking for
miles or dodging bullets...

We like to experience and explore local culture, local foods, local
life. Don't really need happening night life.

Any suggestions? I'm kind of at a loss as to where to start.

Thanks!

It's a little difficult to narrow in on an island as your ideas are
sort of all over the place. To focus on the French islands since that
sounds of interest I will speak to St. Martin. I was there in Aug.
prior to that it has been some time since I was on island. The island
is hugely commercialized, lots of traffic, of course crime but I do
LOVE LOVE LOVE the French side and encourage you to consider Grande
Case. There is a lovely beach, Lolo's (BBQ's), amazing places to dine
and of course it's French. I loved Le Petit Hotel but the walk to town
is about 15 min and there is no side walk on a small part so at night
it's a little tricky with a wee one. They have a sister hotel
L'Esmerelda I believe. Our unit at Le Petit has a lovely full kitchen
and amazing apothocaries, a starter snack pack, water and more. Grande
Case is a little bit of heaven and of course AA flies there from MIA I
believe. I do not like all inclusives so will not be recommending
any. It's not my first pick of an island but it's got French and AA.

Ann Phelanwww.antiguacaribbean.com

So what island would you recommend?

French isn't a requirement, just a small preference for me...of course
part of that is because I envision the English speaking islands to be
more heavily touristed by Americans and commercialized. I'd rather
avoid both just because I want to be somewhere 'different' - not like
an extension of the US with all the same stuff, KWIM?

Your suggestions for St. Maarten are appreciated...sounds nice,
although now you've said commercialized I hesitate. Where else would
you suggest? I really really really don't like all-inclusives if I can
avoid it.

As a citizen of the US, it's been my experience that an island where the
national language(s) aren't English doesn't stop my fellow Americans.
Look at what we've done to Mexico! Everybody who lives within a stone's
throw of the tourist zone, has learned to speak English. Do we
American's make an effort to learn about the customs and people of the
places where we vacation? NO!!! We get a phrase book instead of making
an effort to learn more than: "Where is the bathroom?", "Who took my
luggage?" or "How much?". We aren't all bad. Some even make the supreme
effort to learn "Hello" and "Thank you". But not so many. I speak French
fairly fluently. I am working on Spanish, not just for vacations in
Spanish speaking countries, but also for here at home. I think it's only
fair that if Latin American folks make the effort to be Spanish/English
bilingual that I should meet them halfway and be English/Spanish
bilingual. Maybe it's just me, but we American tourists are a sorry
bunch. :-(

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:50 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Brian K[_2_]

On 11/21/2008 3:29 PM Tamzen Cannoy did a "happy dance", then made
these writings:
[snip]
The Cuisinart Resort

Tamzen, hi! Not having been there, I'm imagining a Cuisinart in every
room, poolside Cuisinarts, Disco with light show supplied by multiple
Cuisinarts, Cuisinart cooking classes, how to do Pilates with the aid of
a Cuisinart instead of one of those big balls, meditation aided by the
hum of many Cuisinarts in a lush tropical rainforest and finally
excursions to places where the locals use Cuisinarts!

It's probably not-at-all-like-that, but it's late and I have an
ubervivid imagination. :-)

--
________
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:52 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Brian K[_2_]

Default Anguilla [WAS: Please help us decide which island to visit]

On 11/22/2008 12:21 PM Allodoxaphobia did a "happy dance", then made
these writings:
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:29:58 -0800, Tamzen Cannoy wrote:

If money is no object my first choice in islands is Anguilla
but it's very expensive.

Horse Hockey!

Are you implying that they play Polo in Anguilla? Horse Hockey = Polo :-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
"The poor dog is the firmest friend, the first to welcome the foremost to defend" - Lord Byron

http://ferryboatinn.ai/

My wife and I have visited Anguilla in each of the last 10 years -- a
3-week stay on each trip. We have always stayed at The Ferryboat Inn
and I would never refer to it as "very expensive."

Of course, if you insist on staying in one of the all inclusive
compounds, then you can have a a very expensive experience. Myself, I
don't need mints on my pillow, nor 'attendants' at the beach.

There are other 'inns' on Anguilla -- places that offer "self catering"
apartments. I like to refer to it as
"Self catering accommodations for the
"self-sufficient traveler."

I will agree that eating out in the 'fancy' restaurants on Anguilla can
be quite expensive. However, I do *not* travel to Anguilla to eat out.
I can do that at home.

Ditto for shopping.

The Cuisinart Resort there has lots of kids and the
beaches on Anquilla are some of the very very best in the world.
I have stayed at several places there and love the island dearly.

Very very untouristy.

Agree. We always go around October-November -- fairly off season -- and
find it uncrowded. And the Anguillians (the friendliest people I've
ever encountered) have more time to spend with you.

Jonesy

Old December 15th, 2008, 05:36 AM
jhimli jhimli is offline
Member

Hello Friend's ,
If money is no object my first choice in islands is Anguilla but it's
very expensive. The Cuisinart Resort there has lots of kids and the
beaches on Anquilla are some of the very very best in the world. I have
stayed at several places there and love the island dearly. Very very
untouristy.
Gud Luck!!!!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:48 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
hackamore

jhimli wrote:
Hello Friend's ,
If money is no object my first choice in islands is Anguilla but it's
very expensive. The Cuisinart Resort there has lots of kids and the
beaches on Anquilla are some of the very very best in the world. I
have
stayed at several places there and love the island dearly. Very very
untouristy.
Gud Luck!!!!!!!

Hi,

didn't see the OP...

but there are a lot of variables on what island to visit.

I like Jamaica... it's convenient, it's easy, it's fun...

everything No Problem Mon.

but if money is TRULY NO OBJECT there are a few habitable islands where
sovereignty is negotiable.... you could be a King!

--

Hackamore
http://www.hackamore.com
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Kellyroberts Kellyroberts is offline
Banned

Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjra View Post
[...]

In my views, of all the regions in the world, the Eastern Caribbean offers the most choice for cruising. Cruising's Eastern Caribbean region encompasses the British and American Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and the two-nation-one-island St. Maarten and St. Martin.

"High" season begins in December and runs through April.

Last edited by Kellyroberts : January 13th, 2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:23 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Garcias[_2_]

We are a retired couple an love to travel. There is no doubt in my mind
that Dominican Republic (try Punta Cana) is your bet. AA is going there
(but be careful of them - read our warning on the Caribbean forum). We
love the island and the people. Island has a lot of airports so make
traveling to the hotels not very far. Children often are taken care of
and entertained. As a couple, we love going where families go because
we love to watch the kids play. Although it is a Spanish speaking
country, most hotel staff speaks French too.

Hope you will enjoy your stay!!

--
Garcias
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:54 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Spamm Trappe

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 16:23:41 -0600, Garcias wrote:

We are a retired couple an love to travel. There is no doubt in my mind
that Dominican Republic (try Punta Cana) is your bet. AA is going there
(but be careful of them - read our warning on the Caribbean forum). We
love the island and the people. Island has a lot of airports so make
traveling to the hotels not very far. Children often are taken care of
and entertained. As a couple, we love going where families go because
we love to watch the kids play. Although it is a Spanish speaking
country, most hotel staff speaks French too.

Hope you will enjoy your stay!!

_My_ stay?? Who are you addressing, Skippy?

Oh, just GREAT!! I've already killfiled all the travelbanter.com
postings. Now, we have yet another sloppy interface from
forums.travel.com for the great unwashed to post dis-jointed,
incoherent text on usenet.

The OP [Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 06:59:13 -0800 (PST) !!] was for
"a trip in January" (... since there is no quoted material from the
OP here), and one would assume that trip's planning is now over --
if not the trip itself.