Contrast between recent Oceania Regatta and VOTS cruises

Old December 28th, 2008, 08:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

Default Contrast between recent Oceania Regatta and VOTS cruises

The cruise on the Regatta is rated at the top of the list of our 45 cruises!
FANTASTIC as were the ports of Barcelona, Tangier, Morocco, Funchal,
Portugal as we had never been to them before...our three days pre-cruise in
Barcelona ended up with it one of our favorite cities to which we want to
return...then two whole days in Bermuda put the whipped cream on the top. I
cannot say enough good things about the Regatta, its food, crew and service
personnel. Best on the seas! It handled the seas very well..I thought that
we had 14 ft waves but a Christmas card from Patty and Cal said they were 19
to 23 ft. waves. I had gotten my "14 ft". from a passenger who was
guessing...so they probably were higher..but it was sooo much fun! Did not
see any 'barf bags' anywhere so the passengers were a hearty bunch of
cruisers.

Taking the Voyager of the Seas so soon afterwards was a mistake as the
general service and food was a big disappointment.
We lucked out with a super cabin steward from the Philippines. She was a
jewel, so cheerful and was right there with whatever we asked for. Our Grand
Suite was lovely and spacious and had a huge balcony...The first two days
were too cool to really enjoy out there, but after that, we put it to a
large amount of use...had lunch and room service out there several
times...People were still using the hot tubs and pools on the day before
embarkation....but what a surprise when we stepped out on the balcony on the
morning of the disembarkation and found temps of 40's and very windy weather
greeting us!

We also lucked out on our dining room waiter (Edwin) and assistant waiter
(Anthony)...They were very efficient and friendly. Edwin was from the
Philippines and Anthony from India...I teased Anthony about being from India
and having such a name and he told me he was from Goa, India, where there
were many Portuguese.

The beef on the ship was tough and I mean tough! Per doctor's orders I can
only eat meat cooked well done...So the night I ordered filet mignon, they
brought it to me as sliced tenderloin; as he said it would be more tender
that way. Ed ordered salmon and said it was so good that he ordered it
again next time it was on the menu..I thought of Tom K. when he ordered it
and breathed a sigh of relief when Ed said how good it was. Tom has always
warned us of seafood on RCI...Mike had duck one night and he said it was
quite good....but the beef dishes were terrible!

We had gotten several e-mails from Martin, our concierge, before our cruise
telling us what was offered and asking what he could do for us. Mike had
him get all three scuba diving packages for him and he got us all Ice Show
tickets...for the regular show and for an extra Christmas ice show...both
were fantastic! Michael said the scuba diving at Roatan was the most
pristine with the most beautiful color water..Costa Maya had a lot more fish
and sea life and Cozumel was better than he had expected. He said the Scuba
Dive Shop personnel on board the Voyager was very efficient and well
organized.

The concierge lounge was incredible...free drinks, hors'doerves, chocolate
covered strawberries and all kinds of goodies from 5-8 pm every night plus a
continental breakfast from 7-11 every morning...Coffee & tea at all times.
Met a lot of nice people in the lounge and Martin was there seeing that we
were all being taken care of. He called on the phone every day at 11 am and
asked if we needed anything and we have received an e-mail from him since we
returned wishing us a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
I shall have to e-mail him back and ask how he is doing...there were going
to be 800 children on board this week! There were quite a few onboard the
week that we were on and we were surprised; as schools were not out for
Christmas until Dec.22nd. The elevator buttons were often sticky and I
heard someone complain that some child was tying up the elevator by riding
it up and down...On a ship that large they should have three elevator
banks...It often took a long time to get the elevator down from the 11th
deck.

The worst part of the cruise:
Embarkation...WHAT a mess and not at all organized...The lines were not
marked and everyone was trying to get in front of everyone to board and they
were quite rude about it!...There was a suite line but platinum, diamond and
everyone who wanted to, got into it making it a VERY long process...The
Coast Guard had not gotten on the ship until noon for its inspection...a
process necessary when a vessel is returning from Europe for the first time
after spending the summer there. So people were quite "antsy"...We got there
around 1:30 pm and it was like a cattle drive! The safety drill was poorly
organized and long. The ship was late leaving because they were waiting on
some passengers who were arriving late.

Disembarkation was much better...We sat and had breakfast in the Seville
Dining Room (a very small dining room off the regular dining rooms) and when
our colors were called, Martin, the concierge, came and escorted us to
disembark.
Thanks to Kerry Ambler and her efficiency in booking this for us, we had a
lovely and very relaxed time. Suzie, Kerry is doing your travel agency,
Cruise Outlets, proud!!! She covers all bases and double and triple checks!

By the way, for those wondering how Galveston is doing after being wiped out
by that terrible hurricane...I was nicely surprised...they are digging out
and making the best of it... I expected much worse...although there were
still many signs especially on the outskirts of the city where there was a
steel storm door, a lounging chair and debris of different types still out
there as reminders that terrible hurricane. Takes a while but they WILL make
it! They are Texans!!!

Tom, Charles, Susie, Kerry and all the Vikings, if you are reading
this...the ship was decorated lovely for Christmas and Hanukkah, but not
NEARLY as nicely as the Liberty of the Seas was when we were on it with
y'all ! The Christmas tree was not as tall and was located near the
pizzeria, Seattle's coffee shop and Ben and Jerry's which were on the
opposite side Promenade (starboard) of the ship.
Missed and thought of you all!

Happy New Year Everyone!

--Jean

Old December 28th, 2008, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "Jean O'Boyle"
:

The cruise on the Regatta is rated at the top of the list of our 45 cruises!

snip

Taking the Voyager of the Seas so soon afterwards was a mistake as the
general service and food was a big disappointment.

snip

Jeez, Jean. I would think the difference in price would be a key.

The Regatta is above first class. Well worth what you pay for it (or
so I've heard). But it takes two appendages to pay for it, and that
have to go out a tight exhaust orifice! :-)
--
- dillon I am not invalid

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams come true.
Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which
will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no
matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Old December 29th, 2008, 01:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Jean O'Boyle
wrote:

Taking the Voyager of the Seas so soon afterwards was a mistake as the
general service and food was a big disappointment.

It sounds like you are spoiled now Jean, you will evermore have to book
fancy cruise lines :-)

Oceania and VOTS are not in the same category by price or market; plus
the Regatta itinerary was to exotic ports while the VOTS was ho hum
Caribbean; and with different demographics, Regatta filled with world
travelers, while VOTS was Texans on holiday. It is hardy surprising
that there was a contrast between the two cruises.

--
Charles
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

Answered inline:
"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
[Default] Thus spake "Jean O'Boyle"
:

The cruise on the Regatta is rated at the top of the list of our 45
cruises!

snip

Taking the Voyager of the Seas so soon afterwards was a mistake as the
general service and food was a big disappointment.

snip

Jeez, Jean. I would think the difference in price would be a key.

I know Dillon....we took the VOTS because it was out of Galveston and the
only time that family could join us and because all three of the ports were
scuba diving ports and Michael, our son, was in 7th heaven diving every
day...Another thing, I figured the ship would be nicely decorated for
Christmas (which it was) and since we were missing out on the week at home
before Christmas, what better way than to do it on a cruise!

The Regatta is above first class. Well worth what you pay for it (or
so I've heard). But it takes two appendages to pay for it, and that
have to go out a tight exhaust orifice! :-)

It definitely is well worth what you pay for...especially a transatlantic!
I highly do recommend Oceania... It more than met my expectations, for sure!

--Jean

Old December 29th, 2008, 02:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Jean O'Boyle
wrote:

Taking the Voyager of the Seas so soon afterwards was a mistake as the
general service and food was a big disappointment.

It sounds like you are spoiled now Jean, you will evermore have to book
fancy cruise lines :-)

Oceania and VOTS are not in the same category by price or market; plus
the Regatta itinerary was to exotic ports while the VOTS was ho hum
Caribbean; and with different demographics, Regatta filled with world
travelers, while VOTS was Texans on holiday. It is hardy surprising
that there was a contrast between the two cruises.

--
Charles

By most considerations, Oceania and VOTS are actually 2 categories apart.
VOTS is Mass Market, while Celebrity and HAL are Premium, and Crystal and
Silversea are Luxury. Oceania is considered above Premium, but below
Luxury. So it's really 2 cats above mass market.

On the other hand... I don't recall her saying anything about her concierge
on Regatta getting her tickets to the ice show... or having free drinks,
hors'd'oeurves, chocolate covered strawberries and all kinds of goodies from
5-8 pm EVERY NIGHT in the concierge lounge on Regatta...

Sounds like each had it's plusses and minuses.

--Tom

Old December 29th, 2008, 02:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

Answered inline:
"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Jean O'Boyle
wrote:

Taking the Voyager of the Seas so soon afterwards was a mistake as the
general service and food was a big disappointment.

It sounds like you are spoiled now Jean, you will evermore have to book
fancy cruise lines :-)

Ha Ha, Charles! ;-) We took five cruises this year and I am looking at
cutting back on the number and taking Oceania by giving up two of the others
instead. We talked with a couple who had taken Crystal several times and
once they took Oceania, they completely switched over to Oceania. There
were many repeat passengers on the Regatta....so they know when they have
found a good thing!

Oceania and VOTS are not in the same category by price or market; plus
the Regatta itinerary was to exotic ports while the VOTS was ho hum
Caribbean; and with different demographics, Regatta filled with world
travelers, while VOTS was Texans on holiday. It is hardy surprising
that there was a contrast between the two cruises.

Regatta was much more refined, no doubt about it...but a nice comfortable
refined. Very relaxing.
I'm afraid that what you said about Texans on a holiday on the VOTS was
true....there were some real" YEEE HASS"
onboard that settled down by the second day, thank heavens...the first
evening, there was a real rowdy loud bunch at a table near us, but they
quieted down by the next night...I could understand their fun and excitement
but they were way over the top. I overheard something about being the first
cruise from that table, so that explained their behavior.. The people that
used the concierge lounge were a very nice and friendly group who interacted
very well with others... But then they were frequent cruisers and not in
their 20's!

So, did you take the Vikings Cruise this year? Which ship and where did you
go? I hope Suz and Terry get on the ball and plan the one for next year as
we'd like to go and maybe even bring Ermalee with us! ;-)

--Jean

Charles

Old December 29th, 2008, 02:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Jean O'Boyle
wrote:

So, did you take the Vikings Cruise this year? Which ship and where did you
go? I hope Suz and Terry get on the ball and plan the one for next year as
we'd like to go and maybe even bring Ermalee with us! ;-)

Of course I did the Viking cruise this year. It was on Freedom of the
Seas. I will send you a link to my pics.

--
Charles
Old December 29th, 2008, 02:49 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message

So, did you take the Vikings Cruise this year? Which ship and where did
you go? I hope Suz and Terry get on the ball and plan the one for next
year as we'd like to go and maybe even bring Ermalee with us! ;-)

--Jean

Charles

We were on Freedom this year.... and hope to do Oasis (or her new sister
ship) in 2 years. Nothing is set for this coming year. RCI's group policy
is supposed to be changing in January, so I think we're waiting for that.
Since we expect Oasis to be a bit more expensive, some are thinking that
they'd like something a bit more "cost effective" this year - to save money
for Oasis.

--Tom

Old December 29th, 2008, 02:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "Jean O'Boyle"
:

Answered inline:
"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
.. .
[Default] Thus spake "Jean O'Boyle"
:

The cruise on the Regatta is rated at the top of the list of our 45
cruises!

snip

Taking the Voyager of the Seas so soon afterwards was a mistake as the
general service and food was a big disappointment.

snip

Jeez, Jean. I would think the difference in price would be a key.

I know Dillon....we took the VOTS because it was out of Galveston and the
only time that family could join us and because all three of the ports were
scuba diving ports and Michael, our son, was in 7th heaven diving every
day...Another thing, I figured the ship would be nicely decorated for
Christmas (which it was) and since we were missing out on the week at home
before Christmas, what better way than to do it on a cruise!

How is Galveston? I've got clients sailing on the 11th on the VotS
and I haven't been down there since Ike did his magic. EZ Park says
they are fully operational and told me that they had wind and debris
damage, but no flood damage. How ever, someone here reported cars
being flooded. But both RCI and Carnival reported water damage due
wind blown.

Old December 29th, 2008, 02:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"Tom K" wrote in message ...

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Jean O'Boyle
wrote:

[...]

Nope, I did not say anything like that...since there was no ice show to attend on the Regatta! But they certainly had tons of every kind of fruit that you could think of! It was fruit heaven...You name it and they had it whenever you wanted it! They also made their own ice cream and every day they would have several different flavors...soooo good!
The concierge and the concierge lounge along with the Grand Suite helped getting over what VOTS did not offer...so I guess with the pluses and minuses it was a trade-off! ;-) Circumstances just didn't permit it to be timed better!

--Jean

--Tom