Cruise Critic Censorship

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Cruise Critic Censorship

wrote in message
On Mar 10, 3:57 pm, "Tom K" wrote:
"Warren" wrote in message

It's on CC now. The moderator was asked for the emails of certain
posters but refused due to privacy rules. She was then asked to email
the posters and get their OK for release of their information. The
ones that said OK were given, hence CC played their part in helping a
cruiseline, which doesn't surprise me, they are part of a business
afterall and it's no shock to me that they, as other businesses i.e,
PR firms, TAs, the media, etc may be offered perks from the lines once
in a while, thats pretty much common knowledge but, for people who are
just 'regular' posters to be offered perks because of this RC thing
AND not disclose them association with a PR program is wrong. RCI did
hire a PR firm to start and oversee this program and while RCers for
the most part don't think they have or would ever be influenced to
change their opinion and they may not, this program is pretty much
basic Psych 101. While RCers really have nothing to be sorry about,
who wouldn't mind being a part of a program where you MAY be offered a
perk once in a while, RCI does for not being open about this right
from the start, even to RCers who say they had no idea what it was or
what was involved, but it doesn't surprise me that a business would
try to do something under the cloak of darkness snip.

There was no cloak of darkness. They e-mailed me and asked me if I'd be
interested. I had to call back to say I was. Where is the darkness?

It sounds like you're jealous.

--Tom

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Have always had a problem loggig into cruise critic,seems they always
misplace my sign in information,so i do not even try any more

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Was wondering why celebrity does not give you credit for cruises you
have taken on rccl

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Old March 10th, 2009, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Borked Psuedo Mailed

Tom K wrote:

There was no cloak of darkness. They e-mailed me and asked me if I'd be
interested. I had to call back to say I was. Where is the darkness?

It sounds like you're jealous.

--Tom

Spoken just like a have, to a have not.
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
NomenNeisco

wrote:

[...]
try to do something under the cloak of darkness. Any other businesses
that were involved in this PR ploy and tried to hide it and/or their
part in it, before or after the fact should be sorry also but at least
one seems to want to deny, deny, deny still instead of just saying we
could have and possibly should have handled it differently.

Isn't it interesting that RTC has 5 of these "RC'ers", and not a single
one of them disclosed that they had been *CHOSEN* until after this whole
underhanded episode made the press. And it looks like every one is in
the travel sales business.

Free stuff for a good review. By *paid professionals*
Shameful.
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kate

On Mar 10, 5:36*pm, NomenNeisco wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Shameful.- Hide quoted text -

I am a Royal Champion. I was sent an e-mail back in May from Royal
Caribbean and they asked for my information on where to send a snail
mail letter. In about 2 weeks I got the invitation to New York to the
Reveal of the Oasis of the Seas. (I'm retired so I decided to go).
Had a good time.

About 6 weeks later I received an e-mail asking me a question,
(something about my dream vacation) and I wote about 30 words about my
dream vacation and it was printed in the fall issue of the Crown and
Anchor Mag. I also was asked to send in a vacation photo but don't
take photos so didn't have one and wrote back that I was sorry that I
didn't have any.

About a year ago I got an e-mail from USAToday newspaper. I subscribe
to their daily travel section said that there was a contest to name
two Royal Caribbean ships I entered with the Oasis of the Seas and
the Allure of the Seas. I wasn't the first one to get my entry in, so
didn't win.

When I went to New York for the Reveal I inquired about how I got
chosen for this trip. (I paid for all of my expenses). I was told
that i was chosen because I had entered the contest and that's where
they got my informaion from.

I am no longer a Travel Agent, haven't been for 30 years, so it's not
that they chose "Professionals"

So that's what happened in my case. I just got an e-mail asking me to
update my mailing info and I did. And I did post last year that I was
a Royal Champion and informed everyone what I did.

Kate

Old March 11th, 2009, 06:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

Hi, D.Wagner,

Just wanted to say, welcome to RTC! Seems you are new to this
discussion forum. Why don't you tell us about your cruises? And any
Royal Caribbean cruises you've taken?

I've been posting here since shortly before we took our very first
cruise Christmas week 1999. Pretty scary thought--nearly 10 years!
Anyway, that first cruise was an NCL cruise in the days before NCL
adopted their Freestyle cruise concept. We loved it and were hooked on
cruising as a great family holiday. (Later, we tried an NCL Freestyle
cruise--it really didn't suit our style. We figured out we seem to
prefer the more traditional seated dinners and dress codes.) Our
second cruise was on a Royal Caribbean ship--the sixth or eighth
(can't remember!) voyage of the Explorer of the Seas. It was pretty
magical, particularly considering we always cruise with our kids, and
they were then 9 and 7. I think Royal Caribbean's Voyager-class ships
were revolutionary in terms of inspired and amazingly creative
features that truly transform the ship into the destination,
particularly for the young and young at heart. We had been Disney
theme park fans--the Voyager-class ship was a perfect fit with our
fondness for that type of hospitality model. (We would love to try a
Disney cruise some day, but their pricing has always been too dear for
us.)

Over the years, we've had fun trying every mass market cruise line
(except Disney), and we've taken two non-mass market cruises, as well.
We are water people--have a home on the water and lots of boats, so
cruising is a good fit for us that way, too. We do a lot of land
travel in addition to cruising--there are some pros and cons to each
mode of travel.

All in all, the two mass market cruise lines our family tends to like
best are Princess and Royal Caribbean. (And in the interest of full
disclosure, that's what I've always said, long before this Royal
Champions thing came up.) Princess is a favorite because of the
Italian food and professionalism of the dining staff. And there is
something I find hard to articulate about Princess that I like--it is
sort of boringly predictable, but in a good way, so it's appealing,
like comfort food. Royal Caribbean is a favorite because of the
entertainment (we think, overall, it's the best on the seas--Carnival
has the best classical music and silly stuff like pub crawls, and
Celebrity's roving a cappella groups are phenomenal) and friendliness
of all of the staff...and on their newer ships, the wow factor. Ya
gotta love those skating rinks! And climbing walls (yes, I'm mumble-
something years old, and I rang the bell while out in the middle of
the Atlantic Ocean, how cool is that?!). And the promenades, which
might be my favorite shipboard concept, especially when they are put
to such innovative uses, like a Disney-esque parade venue. I can't
wait to see what Royal Caribbean does with the Oasis, which promises
to be revolutionary in entirely new and different ways.

But we're pretty happy campers as long as we're on a cruise. Each
line, and each ship, really, has pluses and minuses. We've never had a
bad cruise. (Well, I could tell a funny story about our "blue cruise"
in Turkey a couple of summers ago. We were on the most pitiful boat
you can imagine, the food was terrible and the captain was surly...but
all four of us would say it was one of the best experiences of our
lives!)

The last cruise we took (#20) was this past Christmas week on the
Carnival Conquest. I wish we had a cruise reserved for 2009, but we
tend to be last-minute bookers, so who knows?

Looking forward to hearing about your cruise experiences.

Diana Ball
Austin, TX
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:31 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 3/10/2009 5:36 PM, NomenNeisco wrote:
Isn't it interesting that RTC has 5 of these "RC'ers", and not a single
one of them disclosed that they had been *CHOSEN* until after this whole
underhanded episode made the press. And it looks like every one is in
the travel sales business.

Free stuff for a good review. By *paid professionals*
Shameful.

I've stayed quiet in this whole mess but your post has forced me
to speak up. You haven't a clue what you are talking about. When
they had the Liberty pre-inaugural, several of the people who
were invited (including me, and I am not in the travel business)
discussed it here. People in the "travel sales business" got
invited on the cruise because they are in the business, but
that's completely different -- the cruise for was mainly for
them, but there were also some Diamond+ members, and the whole
audience from the first Rosie O'Donnell episode of The View,
they had been given the cruise as a prize.

I don't think any of us feel an obligation to tell you or anyone
else what we do in our private lives. Do you?

And if I post a good review, it's because it's a good product.

Bill
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:35 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 3/10/2009 5:52 PM, peter wrote:

RCI should fire that PR firm as the PR firm should have warned RCI this was
liable to backfire. Next time you compare a review on CruiseCritic of, say,
NCL and RCI, you discount the RCL review because it might have been written
by a paid cheerleader.

Oh, please. I wouldn't have written a good review of my NCL
America cruise a couple of years ago if they'd paid me to go on
it. And I doubt anyone else who has panned NCL (and there are
many) did so because of any allegiance to another cruise line.

Bill