Cruise Critic Censorship

Old March 13th, 2009, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

Default Cruise Critic Censorship

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:25:19 -0700, Nonnymus wrote:

George Leppla wrote:

A little "something" I enjoy doing on a cruise is to sit in a lounge
area reading a book. Eventually, my lips get tired and I need to take a
break from reading. I've found a very enjoyable alternative is visiting
with people about how much they paid for their cabin. I've found that
by letting them talk first, I can then tell them about the great cabin
my TA got for us with a big balcony for about 75% of the price they
paid. Reducing it by more than 25% creates a credibility problem. I
usually also tell them about how the TA called us just a couple months
before the cruise, rather than us booking a year in advance. Tossing in
that we'd never cruised on the line before is also fun when the person
you're talking to is a frequent cruiser on the line.

Other fun things to discuss is how much the TA gave you on the cruise,
such as the basket of fruit, 3 bottles of Scotch, warm appetizers
delivered to the cabin before each dinner, a ship's tour of the engine
room or bridge, dinner with the Captain, butler service and other perks.

Something that's fun is to tell a fellow passenger that you found your
cabin to be a bit too small, so you went to the Purser's desk and they
moved you for free to a larger one with full balcony. Tossing in a
comment about free bottles of Scotch as an apology is great. The trick
is to just not lay it on too heavy, and this all works best with first
time cruisers.

You can also tell newbies that by sending a very hurt, disappointed and
"never again" letter to their TA or the cruise line after they return,
that it can frequently result in a free cruise.

Nonny, that's some good stuff there.

Chrissy printing and scanning
--
http://tinyurl.com/5gt7
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:11:11 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

Another FWIW - In my opinion, anonymous posts like these are little more
than cyber-graffiti. I never did understand why people are afraid to sign
their posts... unless they are ashamed or embarrassed about something.
There is defiantly a lack of social skills involved.

Some people post to draw attention to the fact they are TAs. Kinda
nonsensical to do so as Nomen Nescio, right?

Ever get any business from RTC, George, posting as a TA?
--
http://tinyurl.com/5gt7
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:57:32 -0700 (PDT), NWLB wrote:

On Mar 11, 12:26*pm, NomenNeisco wrote:

Look in the mirror.

Also, while I'm at it, how is it your profile says: This account has
been banned because it violated the Google Groups Terms Of Use.

And why does bring up so many fascinating google
results?

Just curious, I mean, I know you'd fully disclose anything we might
need to know to be objective here. Not meaning to sound snide, I know
folks put phantom address' in to dodge spam bots, or to avoid people
knowing who they are.

Just curious.....

You're reply to a troll (probably TomK)...
--
http://tinyurl.com/5gt7
Old March 13th, 2009, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

Chrissy,

While you are one of the few who truly understands what's really going on
here, let me add an observation based on this original post. Admittedly, I
have not been following this word for word, for it seems to be all over the
board anyway. Yet, basically I come away with the impression that some
cruise lines find it beneficial to basically influence good reviews from
some with extra incentives.

Would this be considered a possible conflict of interest? In my personal
opinion, it could be if a travel agency/agent was involved in this, and any
client decisions were not made subjectively, but possibly only with this
ulterior motive.

In fact, would this also include an agent who owns stock in a select cruise
line(s). Is recommendations, even group sailings, based more on their stock
holdings, than the best deals for their clients? It would be interesting to
check back to see just what lines are always recommended in relation to the
stock they own. This is far cry to just preferred suppliers and override
commissions.

John

Old March 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:53:47 -0700, John Sisker wrote:

Chrissy,

While you are one of the few who truly understands what's really going on
here, let me add an observation based on this original post. Admittedly, I
have not been following this word for word, for it seems to be all over the
board anyway. Yet, basically I come away with the impression that some
cruise lines find it beneficial to basically influence good reviews from
some with extra incentives.

And they would be correct too.

Would this be considered a possible conflict of interest? In my personal
opinion, it could be if a travel agency/agent was involved in this, and any
client decisions were not made subjectively, but possibly only with this
ulterior motive.

It's an obvious conflict of interest and this COI has been going on for
decades with TAs. It is soooooo commonplace that TAs don't disclose
their freebies, imo, for both honest (but misguided) and dishonest
(purposefully) reasons.

Many of those TAS, btw, post here.

In fact, would this also include an agent who owns stock in a select cruise
line(s).

To a lesser degree, yes.

Is recommendations, even group sailings, based more on their stock
holdings, than the best deals for their clients? It would be interesting to
check back to see just what lines are always recommended in relation to the
stock they own. This is far cry to just preferred suppliers and override
commissions.

Except that one TAs bookings in the overall scheme of how it affects
stock pricing is negligible.

Back to TAs and influence. We spent two years as TAs, Hubby and I, it
was a perfect fit to an associated business. We sold the business and
the agency was part of it. (Sorry Ray, to bust your lies wide open but,
hey, you and honesty have never been soulmates, have ya', you
SPAMADVERTISING prick).

During that two years, we were courted by Carnival especially since we
were booking large groups (up to and exceeding 100) and that was a
mainstay of the Carnival business at the time.

We took free stuff, reductions, perks and free cabins. We also disclosed
that to every one of our clients. This included several pre-cruise
meetings where we stood in front of hundreds of potential cruisers and
answered questions. We were daily in contact with our clients out at the
ballfields. Full, complete, continuous disclosure.

We were often asked if we were partial to Carnival because of our
relationships and the answer was "Yes". But we also said that, IOO,
Carnival made group cruising the best product we could offer. That was
true.

--
http://tinyurl.com/5gt7
Old March 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:12:56 +0100, peter wrote:

On 3/13/09 6:53 PM, in article
, "John Sisker"
wrote:

I come away with the impression that some
cruise lines find it beneficial to basically influence good reviews from
some with extra incentives.

Would this be considered a possible conflict of interest?

On the part of the reviewer? Obviously.

In my personal
opinion, it could be if a travel agency/agent was involved in this, and any
client decisions were not made subjectively, but possibly only with this
ulterior motive.

Agents paid on the basis of commissions already are conflicted for that very
reason.

The cruise buyer knows the TA is getting a commission. No conflict
there. The cruise buyer does not know the variance in commission. If the
TA pushes one cruise line over another because of a higher rate, he's
conflicted.

In fact, would this also include an agent who owns stock in a select cruise
line(s). Is recommendations, even group sailings, based more on their stock
holdings, than the best deals for their clients?

Sisker is trying to fight his little war by suggesting Leppla might be
conflicted. Does Sisker understand how much stock Leppla would have to own
for any booking by Leppla steered to one of the three listed cruise
conglomerates to have any impact?

Lep is conflicted albeit to a much lesser degree than if he was
conflicted by a higher commission rate. That is a simple, mathematical
reality borne from corporate accounting practices.
--
http://tinyurl.com/5gt7
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"John Sisker" wrote in message
m...

Chrissy,

While you are one of the few who truly understands what's really going on
here, snip

If that doesn't say it all... John Sisker and Chrissy... trolls walking hand
in hand...

LOL.

Old March 13th, 2009, 08:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:20:53 -0400, Tom K wrote:

"John Sisker" wrote in message
m...

Chrissy,

While you are one of the few who truly understands what's really going on
here, snip

If that doesn't say it all... John Sisker and Chrissy... trolls walking hand
in hand...

LOL.

Off topic post there, Tommie.

Speaking of trolling....

Are you posting from work? Second time I asked.
--
http://tinyurl.com/5gt7