deducting cost of cruise for tax purposes?

Old December 29th, 2010, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ohioguy

Default deducting cost of cruise for tax purposes?

10 full days left and counting until I leave for my first cruise -
Caribbean Princess for a full week out of San Juan.

As an afterthought, I found myself wondering if anyone has ever
successfully deducted the cost of taking a cruise on their income taxes?
I've heard that some people do things like that - take a vacation, and
figure out a way to deduct the cost of the trip from their annual
income, or something like that. I've never tried, so it is almost a
foreign concept to me.

The only reason I ask is that I do freelance writing, and my editor
just asked me to do a couple of stories with a short deadline. (for a
magazine) It looks like I may end up doing the bulk of the writing on
the cruise - when I can finally get some time away from changing
diapers, and taking care of kids.

Is that sort of thing enough - having an article, and proof of
payment, along with a deadline that is shortly after the cruise date?

If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!
Old December 29th, 2010, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A.

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:19:01 -0500, Ohioguy wrote:

[...]

Sure...if you want to flag an audit.
--
Ari Silverstein, C.T.A; C.T.A.S, FREE Cruise Travel Advisory Services
I never have nor ever will solicit or accept a booking.
Old December 29th, 2010, 07:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 12/29/2010 11:19 AM, Ohioguy wrote:
[...]

If you are filing your tax return and claiming business income as well
as paying income tax and FICA on what you are earning, I suppose you
could give it a try, but the editor did not send you on the trip. You
were going for pleasure and the editor asked you for an article after
the fact.

If I were you, I'd contact my tax preparer and ask a professional.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Ohioguy wrote:
[...]

I would almost think you are trolling with this question. In case you are
not I have an answer that might be the truth or might be a joke on my part.
You can decide truth or fiction.

Here is my answer which is based on no question ever being asked the first
time, having seen it elsewhere, not on checking with the IRS.

You can might be able to make a deduction with supporting documentation if
the cruise is on a US registered ship and all the ports are US registered.
Otherwise you can't. And since Caribbean Princess is not US registered and
goes to foreign ports you can not.

--
Charles
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Charles wrote:

the cruise is on a US registered ship and all the ports are US registered.

Slight typo correction. All the ports have to be US.

--
Charles
Old December 29th, 2010, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Gettamulla Tupya[_2_]

[...]

Only if the articles are on cruising.

Old December 29th, 2010, 09:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bert Hyman

In Ohioguy
wrote:

As an afterthought, I found myself wondering if anyone has ever
successfully deducted the cost of taking a cruise on their income
taxes?

http://www.cpa-connecticut.com/cruis...deduction.html

Roll the dice or talk to your own tax attorney.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old December 29th, 2010, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Carol Eskra

When I made my crossing on the QE2 my waiter talked about the owner of
Jose Cuervo booking 4 suites for the world cruise. He was bringing his
secretary, (right) as it was going to be a working vacation as well as
friends. I would think in this case if he could prove he did some work,
then he might be able to write off a portion of the expense.

Old December 30th, 2010, 04:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 12/29/2010 12:19 PM, Ohioguy wrote:

The only reason I ask is that I do freelance writing, and my editor just
asked me to do a couple of stories with a short deadline. (for a
magazine) It looks like I may end up doing the bulk of the writing on
the cruise - when I can finally get some time away from changing
diapers, and taking care of kids.

Is that sort of thing enough - having an article, and proof of payment,
along with a deadline that is shortly after the cruise date?

Unless your editor called and asked you to write articles about
cruising, there is no way that you're going to be able to justify this.
If there was even a remote chance that it would work, seeing that you
booked and paid for your cruise before you even had the assignments
would be a clear sign of tax fraud.
Old December 30th, 2010, 12:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Thumper

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:51:46 -0500, Bill
wrote:

On 12/29/2010 12:19 PM, Ohioguy wrote:

The only reason I ask is that I do freelance writing, and my editor just
asked me to do a couple of stories with a short deadline. (for a
magazine) It looks like I may end up doing the bulk of the writing on
the cruise - when I can finally get some time away from changing
diapers, and taking care of kids.

Is that sort of thing enough - having an article, and proof of payment,
along with a deadline that is shortly after the cruise date?

Unless your editor called and asked you to write articles about
cruising, there is no way that you're going to be able to justify this.
If there was even a remote chance that it would work, seeing that you
booked and paid for your cruise before you even had the assignments
would be a clear sign of tax fraud.

Baloney. It's not as simple as that.
Thumper