We have chosen our cruise

Old January 16th, 2011, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MAS

Default We have chosen our cruise

We have selected a group cruise on Freedom of the Seas, leaving 5/15/11
out of Port Canaveral, cabin 8354, visiting Labadee, Falmouth
(hopefully), Georgetown and Cozumel. We will be flying down to Orlando
the day before and probably take a shuttle to the port. Now we have to
iron out all the little the details....is it May yet?

Marsha
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , MAS wrote:

We have selected a group cruise on Freedom of the Seas, leaving 5/15/11
out of Port Canaveral, cabin 8354, visiting Labadee, Falmouth
(hopefully), Georgetown and Cozumel. We will be flying down to Orlando
the day before and probably take a shuttle to the port. Now we have to
iron out all the little the details....is it May yet?

That was fast! I have been on Freedom of the Seas, liked it, and I
think it will fit the list you posted.

--
Charles
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:29 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MAS

On 1/16/2011 5:59 PM, Charles wrote:
In , wrote:

We have selected a group cruise on Freedom of the Seas, leaving 5/15/11
out of Port Canaveral, cabin 8354, visiting Labadee, Falmouth
(hopefully), Georgetown and Cozumel. We will be flying down to Orlando
the day before and probably take a shuttle to the port. Now we have to
iron out all the little the details....is it May yet?

That was fast! I have been on Freedom of the Seas, liked it, and I
think it will fit the list you posted.

Seems like it was fast, doesn't it? But, after reading this group for
years, I was pretty sure of what we wanted. We have been wanting to do
this for quite some time and it has finally come to fruition. It will be
fun! I am looking for a site that will tell me what kind of shows we can
look forward to seeing on board.

Marsha
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , MAS wrote:

Seems like it was fast, doesn't it? But, after reading this group for
years, I was pretty sure of what we wanted. We have been wanting to do
this for quite some time and it has finally come to fruition. It will be
fun! I am looking for a site that will tell me what kind of shows we can
look forward to seeing on board.

The show you don't want to miss on that ship is the ice show.

--
Charles
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 1/16/11 7:27 PM, Charles wrote:
In , wrote:

Seems like it was fast, doesn't it? But, after reading this group for
years, I was pretty sure of what we wanted. We have been wanting to do
this for quite some time and it has finally come to fruition. It will be
fun! I am looking for a site that will tell me what kind of shows we can
look forward to seeing on board.

The show you don't want to miss on that ship is the ice show.

And in Grand Cayman, Stingray City. Which I think is one of the very
best excursions there is.

--Tom
Old January 17th, 2011, 01:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
MAS

In , wrote:

Seems like it was fast, doesn't it? But, after reading this group for
years, I was pretty sure of what we wanted. We have been wanting to do
this for quite some time and it has finally come to fruition. It will be
fun! I am looking for a site that will tell me what kind of shows we can
look forward to seeing on board.

The show you don't want to miss on that ship is the ice show.

And in Grand Cayman, Stingray City. Which I think is one of the very
best excursions there is.

--Tom

Oh yes, we have also started looking at excursions. Mostly we want to
compare the ship's excursions versus a private way to see what we want,
and which might be better. RC's web site is very helpful in describing
the amount of physical activity required for a particular tour.

Marsha
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

In , wrote:

[...]

Stingray City is about a 30-40 boat ride out to a waist deep sandbar on
the calm side of Grand Cayman. The boats anchor in slightly deeper
water, and you need to get to the sand bar. Once on the sand bar, the
water is only waist deep. I think it's a wonderful experience.

There are several stingrays that are so gentle that the excursion people
lift them to the surface of the water where you can tough them. They
will also give squid to people who'd like to feed the stingrays.

You can either do a ship excursion, or some here may recommend a private
excursion (I think Charles knows several). Either way, I think it's
something not to be missed.

--Tom
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Tom K
wrote:

Stingray City is about a 30-40 boat ride out to a waist deep sandbar on
the calm side of Grand Cayman. The boats anchor in slightly deeper
water, and you need to get to the sand bar. Once on the sand bar, the
water is only waist deep. I think it's a wonderful experience.

There are several stingrays that are so gentle that the excursion people
lift them to the surface of the water where you can tough them. They
will also give squid to people who'd like to feed the stingrays.

You can either do a ship excursion, or some here may recommend a private
excursion (I think Charles knows several). Either way, I think it's
something not to be missed.

I also recommend Stingray City. If one just wants to do the Stingray
City sand bar then a ships excursion. The independent excursions that I
know of add one or two reefs to snorkel at in addition to the sand bar.

Some don't want to be anywhere near a Stingray. In that case there is
Seven Mile beach by taxi. Calico Jacks at Sea Grape is where I would
recommend being let off. Bar and Restaurant and beach chairs for rent.

--
Charles
Old January 17th, 2011, 02:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle[_3_]

"Tom K" wrote in message
In , wrote:

[...]

When we went on the stingray excursion we booked it online with
http://www.captainmarvins.com/index.html
Captain Marvin is 90 years old but I understand he still goes out on the
boat himself occasionally... They are reputable and very good and you can
get the times of their excursions online so that you can book one that is
safely in bounds with the ship's stay in the Caymans.

You made a good choice booking the Freedom of the Seas! Have a great time!

--Jean

Old January 17th, 2011, 02:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 1/16/11 9:44 PM, Jean O'Boyle wrote:
"Tom wrote in message
In , wrote:

[...]

And for shopping, Cozumel has the jewelry shop in the pier terminal that
Leslie likes. Good stuff, good prices and good reputation. Suzy, or
Charles, do you remember the name?

--Tom