Australia travel tips

Old August 19th, 2004, 12:07 PM
A Mate

Alessandro - some replies are unkind!! It is possible (and fairly easy too)
to drive from Alice Springs to Cairns (the Savannah Way!!); but it would
take 4 days at least. Cape York is actually near (relatively speaking)
Cairns - nowhere near Darwin or Alice Springs!! Do some real research - and
use a website which shows distances and driving times. Try:
http://www.auinfo.com/

Have Fun!!!

"Alessandro Cannarsi" wrote in message
m...
Hi everybody,

I'm off on a 20 days trip to Australia in October. I am going to spend
3 days in Sydney and I am trying to plan a 2-week itinerary.

What I was thinking about is: flying from Sydney to Alice Springs, see
Uluru, visit the Kakadu National Park and/or the Northern Peninsula
(Cape York) and spend some days diving in the northern part of the
reef.

Since the distances are huge I must choose what segments to drive and
what segments to fly based on the experience I will get -

Do you think Kakadu is more interesting than cape york or the
opposite?

Would you suggest to drive from Sydney to Alice and fly from there to
Darwin-Kakadu or viceversa? Is the panorama from Alice to Kakadu
interesting?

Or would you suggest driving from Alice to Cairns and the great
barrier?

Thanks

Alessandro

Old August 19th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Alessandro Cannarsi

What about these two:

1)flying Sydney-Uluru, driving Uluru-Kakadu-Darwin, Flying Darwin-Cairns,
diving 3/4 days on the reef and then fly back to Sydney.

2) flying Sydney-Uluru, driving about, Flying Alice-Cairns, driving up to Cape
York (how many days?), diving 3/4 days on the reef and then fly back to Sydney.

Thanks

Alex

Old August 19th, 2004, 01:45 PM
A Mate

Alessandro,

Hmmmm!!

Both itineraries are possible; but desirable when you have a total of 20
days in Australia???

How many days do you want in Sydney?? It's basically just a city; but an
Australian city - so quite different from any Italian city. Say 3 days!!

Fly to Uluru - tour about; drive to Alice Springs - tour about - 4 days!!
Cumulative total - 7 days.

Fly to Cairns - dive GBR; fly to Cooktown - drive back (with tour company
along 'creb' track) - 4 days.
Cumulative total 11 days.

Fly Cairns - Thursday Island - tour about - 3 days.
Cumulative total - 14 days.

Fly Thursday island - Hamilton Island - relax 4 days.

Return to Sydney (Cairns is a significant International Airport - you could
fly out of there!!). - Home.

Just suggestions!!

Google about!

Have Fun!

Paul

Old August 19th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Bego Mario Garde

Alessandro Cannarsi wrote:
2) flying Sydney-Uluru, driving about, Flying Alice-Cairns, driving up
to Cape York (how many days?), diving 3/4 days on the reef and then fly
back to Sydney.

Best way to plan your journey is to open a spreadshet and fill in the
days of your journey.

First, you fill in the days you need for travel. i.e. 1st, 2nd and
probably third day to get to Australia, 19th, 20th day to get back.

Now you have to consider a "relaxing day": As you arrive, you'll be
totaly exhausted due to jet lag and long time on the plane. Forget about
your first day in Australia (third day of your journey). You'll be too
tired to drive or do some sightseeing.

This means, your time left over is from 4th to 18th day, roughly 2 weeks
all together.

Now, /I/ would spend day 4 and 5 in Sydney. Walk through the CBD and to
the harbour, take a ferry to Darling Harbour, ...

On day 6 pick a flight to Brisbane, where you hire a rental car. Drive
all way up to Cairns and enjoy Fraser Island, Great Barrier Reef and
Whitsundays. Calculate a week for that. Drop of your car in Cairns.

On day 14 take a flight to Ayers Rock. (Don't fly to Alice Springs. The
road to Ayers Rock is rather booring and will take lots of your precious
time.) Plan at least 2 days (day 15 and 16) to do some buch walking at
Kings Canyon, see Uluru and don't miss the Olgas (we found them even
more exciting then Ayers Rock). Fly back to Sydney on day 17 and have a
little rest at Darling Harbour.

I missed Cape York? Well, you'll come back to Australia anyway. Maybe,
you'll make it to Cape York next time ...

People tend to pack their holiday. Consider to travel a little longer
then 20 days. And remember that you don't travel to make airlines happy,
but to see and enjoy things.

Flights mean: Get to the airport in time, stand in lines, get cramped
into an airoplane, pcik up another rental car and find your way out of
the airport region to your destination. Not to forget, flying is
expensive, too. This procedure is for every time you fly.

I have to admit, that rental car's aren't cheap and of course it takes
you longer to get to your destinations. But you can stop anytime and
exit at every place you like. (Don't do this while travelling by plane!
;-) )

Hey, I should open a travel agency! :-)

Good planning,

Bego

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm
our country and our people, and neither do we."

- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004
Old August 19th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Peter

In article ,
says...
Alessandro Cannarsi wrote:
2) flying Sydney-Uluru, driving about, Flying Alice-Cairns, driving up
to Cape York (how many days?), diving 3/4 days on the reef and then fly
back to Sydney.

Best way to plan your journey is to open a spreadshet and fill in the
days of your journey.

I'd also get a driving map with the distances shown
http://www.australianexplorer.com/driving_distances.htm has a rough
guide and links to more detailed sites. Most of the distances are two or
three *thousand* kilometres.

First, you fill in the days you need for travel. i.e. 1st, 2nd and
probably third day to get to Australia, 19th, 20th day to get back.

Now you have to consider a "relaxing day": As you arrive, you'll be
totaly exhausted due to jet lag and long time on the plane. Forget about
your first day in Australia (third day of your journey). You'll be too
tired to drive or do some sightseeing.

Totally forget about getting off a longhaul flight and hiring a car at
the airport. Especially if you normally drive on the right side of the
road. Besides which, traffic around Sydney Airport gives me the ****s
and I'm used to it. Take a day off to recover before driving, or better
yet take public transport around Sydney. The ferries will get you to
most tourist destinations. Darling Harbour is good, Manly is a great
harbour cruise and a superb ocean beach just a short stroll away down
the Corso.

This means, your time left over is from 4th to 18th day, roughly 2 weeks
all together.

Now, /I/ would spend day 4 and 5 in Sydney. Walk through the CBD and to
the harbour, take a ferry to Darling Harbour, ...

On day 6 pick a flight to Brisbane, where you hire a rental car. Drive
all way up to Cairns and enjoy Fraser Island, Great Barrier Reef and
Whitsundays. Calculate a week for that. Drop of your car in Cairns.

Fraser Island is great, but you can't take a 2WD rental car over.
There's maybe two kilometres of decent paved road on the whole island.
Go to Hervey Bay, take a ferry over to the resort at Kingfisher Bay and
book a tour on one of their 4WD buses to check out some of the
envirosites. Tides will determine how far you can get up the beach,
which doubles as the main highway. Two days is probably a better bet
with a night at KB.