Australia travel tips

Old August 24th, 2004, 02:31 AM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:13:39 GMT, Peter wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:16:28 GMT, Peter wrote:

In article ,
says...
Ayers Rock is not a place to be driving to or from. Or Darwin, for that
matter. Long days of boring dusty roads.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
************************************************** *************************************
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^
SEE
ABOVE............................................. ............................

Just when was the "Last" time you went up that way, not too many dusty
roads around January/February when we went through there.

Point taken, it's not dusty if it's raining. Still not the sort of thing
we should be wishing on tourists who want to maximise their time spent
doing interesting things.

Not too many drops of rain fell out htat way at that time of the year.
I think you're getting your information confused with further up in
the Territory towards Darwin.

That's cos I mentioned Darwin to start with. Dead giveaway.

SEE ABOVE............................................. .......

"Alice Springs is in the heart of the Northern Territory and it's here
the sting in the tail of the event starts. This is the famed Red Centre
of Australia where the dusty roads are bright red and stretch as far you
can see. It's tough unforgiving country."
http://www.twerally.co.uk/lsm_04/route.html

"The Rock is sacred to the Aboriginal people of Australia and they have
requested that people stay off of it. I am a conscientious person and
normally respect such requests but I just couldn't stay off it after
driving 3000 dusty km to get to it, hearing of the supposed danger in
climbing it and what I was imagining the view to be like at the top."
http://www.canoe.ca/Travel/MyTravels...31/403445.html

"After Ayers Rock it’s another day’s ride along a dusty track to Kings
Canyon, which is a rarely visited National Park."
http://www.bikeroundoz.com/TourDetai...acker_tour.htm

Oh Dear oh dear oh dear !!!

Darling. Calm down. Take it slow. It's better that way.

It seems you get all your information from tarted up tourist stories.

The road up to "the Alice" and also from there down to "the Rock" is
ALL sealed road.

The original poster wasn't talking about driving Adelaide/Alice Springs.
Perhaps it would help gather your scattered wits if you reviewed what he
said:

You should learn to read what YOU posted.....

"What I was thinking about is: flying from Sydney to Alice Springs, see
Uluru, visit the Kakadu National Park and/or the Northern Peninsula
(Cape York) and spend some days diving in the northern part of the
reef. Since the distances are huge I must choose what segments to drive
and what segments to fly based on the experience I will get -"
http://tinyurl.com/5mbrn

I think you'll agree that driving from Alice to Darwin or Darwin to
Cairns is going to involve a fair amount of travel on unsealed roads.

Don't you think?

Peter

As I said Oh Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear.....

Apart from possible road works.....

Alice to Darwin==================== SEALED ROAD

Darwin to Cairns=================== SEALED ROAD

Unless of course you take the back ways and not the main highways.

Happy Trails
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:54 AM
A Mate

NO!!! Peter.

Sealed ALL the way!!

Unless you deliberately choose unsealed minor routes!

Old August 30th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Alessandro Cannarsi

Hello

Thank you for the tips.
Do you know if it is possible to camp around Uluru?
Thanks

Alessanro

Old August 31st, 2004, 03:38 AM
Freda

There is a camping area (for tents etc) at the caravan park .
You are not allowed to camp in non authorised areas.
Nothing is el cheapo around Uluru regarding
accomodation...grin and bear it.
Freda

--
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake

Old August 31st, 2004, 04:09 AM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:16:47 +0200, Alessandro Cannarsi
wrote:

Hello

Thank you for the tips.
Do you know if it is possible to camp around Uluru?
Thanks

Alessanro

There are good camping facilities at Yulara, which is the resort area
closest to "The Rock" (Uluru).

We camped there in February of this year

Not sure of exact distance, but around 5 ~ 10klms away. You can see it
from the resort area, but is better veiwed from close up.

Not sure but I think there would be some transport out to the rock or
if you have your own vehicle as we did, no problem.

When you go to look close up, you enter a reserve area and you have to
apy a permit price per person, (from memory around AU$16) this permit
lasts for three days and as many entries as you wish.

Hope this helps, Regards

Tony

Big Snips.....