New Zealand Guidebook recommendations?

Old October 22nd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Dan Stephenson

Default New Zealand Guidebook recommendations?

I'm looking to take a "road trip" to New Zealand some time next year,
and would like your opinions on which one guidebook I should get. My
first take would be Lonely Planet since I've used them before with some
success. But they put in a lot about accomodation and restaurants,
which I really don't care much about. I am looking for something that
focuses on all the natural beauty of the place. My mode of vacationing
would be to drive 10 hours a day, stopping all along the way to take
photos and short hikes. I've wanted to visit New Zealand ever since I
learned those old Hercules and Xena shows were filmed there, and now
that the Lord of the Rings DVDs have extensive maps of where they made
their shoots, I'm totally hooked. So I'd look for something with good
maps and details for interesting side-detours.

I also wondered if there was a Motoring Atlas I should prefer.

RSVP, please post,

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos and movies from US Parks and all over Europe:
Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:17 AM
Fred

There is a good AA book with road maps of Nth and Sth Island. N.Z. Tourist
centres and information centres will give you all the maps you will ever
need, or cheap ones can be bought in any gas station. It's easy going;
touring in NZ. Just get here and take off.

Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:21 AM
Fred

[...]

P.S. You might find something worthwhile on this site:

http://www.newzealand.com/travel/hom...ination-nz.cfm

Old October 23rd, 2005, 03:12 PM
JohnM

In article , Dan Stephenson
writes
I'm looking to take a "road trip" to New Zealand some time next year,
and would like your opinions on which one guidebook I should get. My
first take would be Lonely Planet since I've used them before with some
success. But they put in a lot about accomodation and restaurants,
which I really don't care much about.

I'd still buy the LP if only to organise your trip beforehand - and
quite useful for the city maps, too. Regarding AA touring maps, they are
free in every tourist office in NZ.

--
JohnM
Old October 24th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Manicmedic

Dan Stephenson wrote:
[...]

I used YHA .... it was great, not my pre-concieved idea and lots of NZ
families used them too. Good, affordable and booking usually a few hours
before by phone.

Colin
Old October 24th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Manicmedic

Dan Stephenson wrote:
[...]

wizes.co.nz and their maps are very good. I used them when I was there
in January. A word of advise ..... Don't drive 10 hrs a day! Stop and
see the sights. Don't speed .... the Police are pretty hot on this ... I
got booked. Don't plan rigidly, be flexible.

Colin
Old October 25th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Dan Stephenson

In article , Manicmedic
wrote:

wizes.co.nz and their maps are very good. I used them when I was there
in January. A word of advise ..... Don't drive 10 hrs a day! Stop and
see the sights. Don't speed .... the Police are pretty hot on this ... I
got booked. Don't plan rigidly, be flexible.

Colin

I'm totally flexible, that 10 hours is sightseeing, not mere
travelling. It just winding your way around all day and stop whenever
you see something cool. The only 'plan' will be "cover" as much of the
two islands as I can in about two weeks.

I'll learn more once I get a guidebook, but should I plan a 50/50 split
in time between the two islands?

What guidebook can you all recommend, other than Lonely Planet?

Old October 25th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Fred

wrote:

wizes.co.nz and their maps are very good. I used them when I was there
in January. A word of advise ..... Don't drive 10 hrs a day! Stop and
see the sights. Don't speed .... the Police are pretty hot on this ... I
got booked. Don't plan rigidly, be flexible.

Colin

I'm totally flexible, that 10 hours is sightseeing, not mere
travelling. It just winding your way around all day and stop whenever
you see something cool. The only 'plan' will be "cover" as much of the
two islands as I can in about two weeks.

I'll learn more once I get a guidebook, but should I plan a 50/50 split
in time between the two islands?

If it's scenery you're after I'd recommend a longer time in the Sth. Island
than the North.

Old October 25th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Dan Stephenson wrote:
[...]

Rough Guide (now at fourth edition for NZ) without a doubt; lots more
background and info than LP and a little less on the 'I'm a traveller,
you're a tourist' attitude. As always not 100% accurate but pretty
good.

you also need a road atlas, easily available. The NZ AA have an
excellent set of maps covering both islands free to members, if you
belong to a motoring organisation in your own country take your card
and they may let you have the maps, otherwise NZD 3.50 each and there
are about 25 of them!

top tips after two NZ road trips (and planning a third)
- there's never enough time! Our total is five months so far and we
haven't seen it all!
- getting round always takes longer than you think ; roads are twisty
and only ever two lane except around Auckland and Wellington.
- ask the Department of Conservation (DOC) - they know EVERYTHING about
their locality and the next place, do lots of really good free or cheap
information and aren't trying to sell anything. Trust their time
estimates.
- one example of the trip you might like is glaciers to Wanaka or
Queenstown; about five hours in the car but with lots of little walks
to do off the roadside, mostly of 30 mins to one hour to see
waterfalls, views etc. DoC at either end will sell you the guide for
this for an NZ dollar.
- Lord of the Rings - don't go location hunting as a) all the south
island looks that good b) there was lots of digital jiggery pokery done
and c) there are no sets left. Just absorb the atmosphere of places
such as the shores of Lake Wakatipu (Wizards Vale) and Tongariro
National Park (Mordor)
- take a raincoat.. :-)
- get out the car whenever you can.
- take a good digital camera and a couple of big memory chips!

enjoy - you will
Helen