Suggestions about trip to Kandersteg with kids

Old February 27th, 2006, 11:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Suggestions about trip to Kandersteg with kids

Hi, we are a family from India and planning to travel to Kandersteg
with our 2 young children. We basically want to stay at a
not-so-touristy place with beautiful scenery, mountains and greenery
all around. We chose Kandersteg over Interlaken or Grindelwald/Murren
is because we found it easy to commute from Zurich Airport(only 1
change and 2 hrs) plus easy to commute for day-trips to
Grindelwald,Scilthorn and rest of Bernese Oberland, plus less touristy.
I need to know from any of you, whether Kandersteg will be a nice sunny
place in the beginning of May ( I heard that it might be much more
chilly compared to the other choices) and a good place to travel to
with kids. Whether there are plenty of restaurants or eating options
there. And whether there is any other suitable place better than
Kandersteg like Meiringen etc in the Bernese Oberland which is also
easily accessible by train from Zurich or Interlaken. Also suggestions
for very good family friendly hotels are welcome.

Old February 27th, 2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Kandersteg is an excellent choice.
Plenty of resturants.
The weather in Switzerland is at best changeable , especially in the
mountains.

Top tip is to buy on of the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland.
You can get one at Kandersteg station
http://www.regiopass-berneroberland.ch/
Enjoy!

Old March 1st, 2006, 12:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Am 27 Feb 2006 03:08:43 -0800 schrieb :

Hi, we are a family from India and planning to travel to Kandersteg
with our 2 young children.

Kandersteg is a nice place, lots of things to do around the area. And not
too busy/touristy.

I need to know from any of you, whether Kandersteg will be a nice sunny
place in the beginning of May

Itrs hard to forecast the weather in the mountains, you can even have snow
in May ;-)

But normally it should be fine and rather warm (not hot).

Whether there are plenty of restaurants or eating options
there.

Yes, there's plenty.

Take you kids to Lake Blausee nearby, where the breed trouts (you can eat
them right there, a bit pricy but very scenic). The also have a nice little
zoo there called "Rigel" (near Blausee), where you can see mountain
animals.

And if you are interested in trains and technic-stuff, go see the
NEAT-tunnel-museum, where they are drilling the Lötschberg-Basistunnel.
Very impressive!

Some more fun things to do in the area with kids:
- Boat trip on lake Thun
- "Männlichen"-mountain in Interlaken (big playground on top)
- Jungfraujoch (take warm winter clothes!)
- Ballenberg-Museum (allow at least a full day, the kids will love it, lots
of animals there and old farm-houses)

Regards,

Frank
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Am Wed, 1 Mar 2006 13:28:51 +0100 schrieb Frank Hucklenbroich:

- "Männlichen"-mountain in Interlaken (big playground on top)

Sorry, of course its not the "Männlichen" (thats near Grindelwald), its
called "Heinwehfluh":
http://www.heimwehfluh.ch/

Regards,

Frank