Anyone Carry Gear on Lufthansa Air? Bill? Roger? Anyone? :)

Old May 18th, 2006, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Anyone Carry Gear on Lufthansa Air? Bill? Roger? Anyone? :)

Has anyone here dealt with this?
-I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa says
your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going to
be 30 pounds.
It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.

Has anyone flown with heavy carry ons on Lufthansa??
Is there a way around this with them?

Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I would never
see it again.

United Airlines doesn't have a weight spec on carry-ons.
This is specific to my third flight: Frankfort to Kiev, which is not on
United (obviously).

Any experience out there?

Thanks for any info...

Bill? Roger? Anyone?

-Mark˛

Old May 18th, 2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.air

In article fbVag.1400$rS6.894@fed1read11, Mark˛
wrote:

[...]

I often carry two bodies (D2X & D70), a laptop, four lenses, extra
batteries and misc other goodies in a similar backpack. It's at least
25 lbs full, and I regularily fly on UA, LH and SQ. I've never had a
problem with it as a carry-on. The biggest problem I have is when I
take a small turbo-prop, it's sometimes a little too thick to fit into
the overheads.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air

?
[...]

Is "LH" Lufthansa, and are they European flights?
I'm not concerned about UA, as I'm flying with them on my first two flights
and have checked with them.
They don't weight carry-ons...Lufthansa apparently might.
Thanks for your info.

-Mark˛

Old May 19th, 2006, 04:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Mark˛ lowest even number here wrote:

Is "LH" Lufthansa, and are they European flights?
I'm not concerned about UA, as I'm flying with them on my first two flights
and have checked with them.
They don't weight carry-ons...Lufthansa apparently might.
Thanks for your info.

Are you flying on one ticket? If so, I think the regulations of the
first airline you fly count.

I have had a somewhat similar story with a stopover at CDG, where LOT
(Polish Airlines) had some objections to my carry-on which I had
previously brought over the Atlantic with Air France. After a short
discussion we agreed that since AF let me on board with it, it should
be OK with LO.

jrk

-Mark˛

Old May 19th, 2006, 06:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air

In article oBabg.1468$rS6.417@fed1read11, Mark˛
wrote:

€ Alan Street wrote:

€ ?
€ ?

€ I often carry two bodies (D2X & D70), a laptop, four lenses, extra
€ batteries and misc other goodies in a similar backpack. It's at least
€ 25 lbs full, and I regularily fly on UA, LH and SQ. I've never had a
€ problem with it as a carry-on. The biggest problem I have is when I
€ take a small turbo-prop, it's sometimes a little too thick to fit into
€ the overheads.

€ Is "LH" Lufthansa, and are they European flights?

LH is Lufthansa, and I'm referring to both trans-oceanic flights and
flights within Europe.

€ I'm not concerned about UA, as I'm flying with them on my first two flights
€ and have checked with them.
€ They don't weight carry-ons...Lufthansa apparently might.

In my experience, they also don't weigh carry-ons (actually, I've never
had a carry-on bag weighed).

€ Thanks for your info.

De Nada.

€ -Mark˛

Old May 20th, 2006, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Mark˛ schrieb:
Has anyone here dealt with this?
-I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa says
your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going to
be 30 pounds.
It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.

Has anyone flown with heavy carry ons on Lufthansa??
Is there a way around this with them?

The weight limit is for safety reasons. Dropping 30 pounds on someone's
head is not going to improve their health nor their attitude towards
you. The FAs will probably make you put it under the seat in front of
you- if it really is a carryon size, then it fits, ok?

It's not clear from your post whether you are just travelling with a
backpack, or with other checked luggage. Either way, buy one of those
super lightweight nylon folding bags, stuff your photo gear in that for
the flight, and check in the backpack. If you're really carrying 30
pounds of photo gear plus baggage, well- good luck.

Incidentally, you can reckon on a Frankfurt-Kiev flight that everyone
will be trying to drag on as much handluggage as possible, so there
won't be any room in the overheads.

T.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Alan Street schrieb:

In my experience, they also don't weigh carry-ons (actually, I've never
had a carry-on bag weighed).

They do but not every time.

Regards, ULF
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air

"Alan Street" wrote in message
In article oBabg.1468$rS6.417@fed1read11, Mark˛
wrote:

? Alan Street wrote:

? ?
? ?
?
[...]

Either you are lucky or the rules are different where
you live.

Whilst some time ago I could say that my carry on
was never weighed, now it almost always is.

I live/travel in Europe and as well as the weigh-in
at check-in, some airports have started enforcing
the weight rules at the security check (presumably
to stop people leaving their overweight carry on
with a friend whilst going up to the check-in with
nothing and then trying to sneak it on later, which
a lot of people do do).
The girl in front of me at STN last week came
close be being rejected at the security check for
overweight check-in, so they do check.

It is not clear why they are being more strict with
carry-on.

Perhaps:
With the rise of LCC and cheaper fares, airlines
are trying to make more money out of excess
luggage. But if it were this, you would have though
that they would be tolerant of over-weight carry-on
for pax with no check-in and enforce a total weight
rather than a carry on weight, but security gate staff
can't make this assessment. Checked luggage costs
the airline real money and insisting someone check
in a 10Kg bag that the pax would like to carry, is not
economic for the airline (Air Berlin insisted that I did
this on the same trip as above)

Or perhaps it could be a security increase thing
after 9/11 (that has a lot to asnwer for!)

tim

..

Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air

tim (back at home) wrote:
"Alan Street" wrote in message

In article oBabg.1468$rS6.417@fed1read11, Mark˛
wrote:

? Alan Street wrote:

? ?
? ?
?
[...]

.

Security is a silly point to try to regulate carry on items. They can
only enforce the least restrictive policy for any airline and any ticket
that can be reached from that security point. That would make it
uselessly liberal in most cases.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:11 AM posted to rec.travel.air

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

tim (back at home) wrote:
"Alan Street" wrote in message

In article oBabg.1468$rS6.417@fed1read11, Mark˛
wrote:

? Alan Street wrote:

? ?
? ?
?
[...]

The attendent took account of the airline the pax was
using before deciding that her 11kilo bag was OK.

It was overweight but only just.

It would have been valid for some airlines and
completely OTT for others.

At many airports the destination problem doesn't apply
as flights may leave from different terminals with different
security points.

tim