What is the latest possible boarding time?

Old October 10th, 2006, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
bc

Default What is the latest possible boarding time?

Hi,
We are scheduled for a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise out of Miami on Dec.
23 on the Royal Caribbean line.
We had originally planned to leave on the 22nd and stay in Miami one night,
but due to
my Daughter's college exam schedule, we may be forced to leave on the
morning of the 23rd.
Because of weather issues and delays, I am really hesitant to arrive the day
the ship is scheduled to leave, but we may not have a choice. We will be
leaving from Toronto.
So my question is, if we arrive in Miami at noon on the 23rd, will we still
have time to get from the airport to the ship and board?
This is our very first cruise, so any suggestion or advice from the group
would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
BC

Old October 10th, 2006, 05:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article , "bc" .@.
wrote:

Hi,
We are scheduled for a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise out of Miami on Dec.
23 on the Royal Caribbean line.
We had originally planned to leave on the 22nd and stay in Miami one night,
but due to
my Daughter's college exam schedule, we may be forced to leave on the
morning of the 23rd.
Because of weather issues and delays, I am really hesitant to arrive the day
the ship is scheduled to leave, but we may not have a choice. We will be
leaving from Toronto.
So my question is, if we arrive in Miami at noon on the 23rd, will we still
have time to get from the airport to the ship and board?
This is our very first cruise, so any suggestion or advice from the group
would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
BC

We have gotten into the airport as late as 2:00 and it was still
pretty much impossible to swing a dead cat around the terminal without
hitting multiple people from the cruiselines. You shouldn't have any
problem getting in at noon.
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article , "bc" .@.
wrote:

[...]

I agree that arriving at noon time should not be a problem, that is
assuming your flight gets in on time. I would suggest since you can't
fly down the day before, get the earliest possible flight on cruise day.

sue
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dick G[_1_]

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

We have gotten into the airport as late as 2:00 and it was still
pretty much impossible to swing a dead cat around the terminal without
hitting multiple people from the cruiselines. You shouldn't have any
problem getting in at noon.

I agree that arriving at noon time should not be a problem, that is
assuming your flight gets in on time. I would suggest since you can't fly
down the day before, get the earliest possible flight on cruise day.

sue

The OP should also keep in mind that December 23rd is the Saturday before
Christmas.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old October 10th, 2006, 07:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
bc

Believe me, I do realize that it is probably one of the busiest travel days
of the year.
That combined with weather issues has me really really nervous about making
it to the ship on time.
Any idea how long it takes to get through customs and then to the ship
terminal on a busy day?
Thanks again.
BC

. ..

Old October 10th, 2006, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chris Hall

bc wrote:
Believe me, I do realize that it is probably one of the busiest travel days
of the year.
That combined with weather issues has me really really nervous about making
it to the ship on time.
Any idea how long it takes to get through customs and then to the ship
terminal on a busy day?
Thanks again.
BC

If you're traveling from Toronto, you clear customs and immigration at
Pearson before you board the plane.

Chris

Old October 10th, 2006, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

bc wrote:
This is our very first cruise, so any suggestion or advice from the group
would be greatly appreciated.

1. Check in online as soon as possible and print / sign the docs you
get from their website. Makes it go faster when you get to the port.

2. Carry a change of clothing in your carry-on in case your luggage
gets delayed. Nothing worse than arriving at the ship with only the
winter clothing on your back :-)

3. Don't worry, you'll have a great time! We've gotten onboard with
minutes to spare at times... most ships leave at 5 pm, although they
want you aboard one hour early.

Kev

Old October 10th, 2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
bc

Arranging air transportation through the cruiseline probally would have been
a good thing to do, but this trip was arranged by other family members, and
we haven't had a lot of say in the process.
To everyone who replied, thanks very much. Sounds like with a bit of luck
and good wether, we just might make it.
BC

Which brings up another interesting question.
Would this be a situation where you might want to get air from the
cruiseline? Since they tend to know who is coming in on what flight,
would that make it more likely they would have someone hang around to
get you (and probably quite a few others on the plane) to the ship if
delayed?

Old October 10th, 2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
WRD

Has anyone, in this group, ever missed a cruise departure? If so, did you
attempt to join the cruise at a subsequent port stop. Do the cruise lines
have on site personnel to help facilitate this?

Ron