What happened to the NCL Dawn??

Old November 22nd, 2006, 10:54 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
PETE

Default What happened to the NCL Dawn??

I just seen the NCL Dawn on the news, but I missed the story!!! What
happened??

Old November 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

PETE wrote:
I just seen the NCL Dawn on the news, but I missed the story!!! What
happened??

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1865

Basically, propulsion problem. Full refund for passengers.

Kev

Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
cruisemates

From CruiseMares news:
11-22-06
NCL Dawn Makes Virginia Pit Stop - Update

UPDATE: Wed. Nov. 22: The ship is still in Norfolk, citing continuing
poor weather conditions and mechanical issues. But you cannot fault NCL
for the compensation they have provided. All passengers sitting on that
ship and still about to sail tonight at 5:00 pm are getting a FULL
refund, plus $100 shipboard credit and a discount on a second cruise.
Nothing like getting paid to cruise, is there?

The cruise line also offered passengers wishing to leave the Dawn a
free bus ride back to New York last night. Norfolk tourism officials
say about 38 people took that trip. Some passengers took tours to
Norfolk and Williamsburg, and others went shopping -- some for warmer
clothing.

Update: Below we reported that passengers were upset because there was
no refund offered for the inconvenience. Now we are getting word the
passengers will receive a $100 per cabin on-board credit and 25 percent
discount on a future cruise. Norwegian Dawn was forced to make an
unscheduled stop in Virginia to repair its port-side propulsion pod.
The decision to do the repair now instead of later was forced by
extreme weather on its route which was protracting a problem with the
ship keeping to its scheduled itinerary. NCL has stated there is not a
safety issue, but apparently that wasn't the number one concern for
some passengers.

A local television station in Norfolk Virginia, Channel 3, has reported
receiving a phone call reporting "a very large disturbance" on the ship
by passengers complaining about the unscheduled stop and demanding a
partial refund to compensate for the change in itinerary and the
unscheduled stop. In addition, Norfolk police report that they have
arrested one passenger from the ship because he was wanted in Florida.
The information was passed on to the Norfolk police by another
passenger.

The weather, combined with the technical issue, has prevented Norwegian
Dawn's planned Tuesday morning arrival in Orlando (Port Canaveral).
Weather permitting, the vessel will continue on to Orlando tonight
(Port Canaveral) sailing a revised itinerary.

Old November 25th, 2006, 12:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RichC

"ZombyWoof" wrote in message
According to local reports it left sometime this (Thursday) AM with
all passengers being offered a free cruise sometime next year (07).
http://www.wtkr.com/Global/story.asp?S=5721873

This seems to be the trend these days- if enough people bitch loud enough,
the cruise lines respond with a larger compensation. It's a wonder that the
cruise lines can continue to make a profit with the things they have to
contend with.....missing people, viruses, equipment failure, weather,
increases in fuel costs, etc.