Balcony safety?

Old March 28th, 2007, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Madx

Default Balcony safety?

I guess I'm glad I prefer the inside cabins. But how easy is it to fall off
a balcony? I know on the deck the railings are very high. How high is the
railing on a balcony cabin? Would you have to climb up on it to go over? I
guess each balcony should have an attached net?

To many of these in the news!

Old March 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LVTravel[_3_]

Balcony rails are the same height as the ones on deck on all the cruise
ships I have been on. It is rather hard to "fall" over the rails. IMHO
someone who goes over the rail has to either be trying to commit suicide,
there is a murder taking place or the jerk has simply imbibed too much booze
and is trying to show off for others. Some ships that have balcony cabins
had signs saying "NO SITTING OR CLIMBING ON RAILINGS" posted frequently on
deck and at the cabin railings.

m...

Old March 28th, 2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
J Carnaghie

Madx wrote:
I guess I'm glad I prefer the inside cabins. But how easy is it to fall off
a balcony? I know on the deck the railings are very high. How high is the
railing on a balcony cabin? Would you have to climb up on it to go over? I
guess each balcony should have an attached net?

To many of these in the news!

Balcony railings are high enough to prevent anyone falling overboard
if they are standing on the deck.
If a passenger is sitting or standing on the railing, then it is very
possible to "take a swim" from a balcony. Regardless of the design,
if you want "unobstructed views" you will have a balcony that can be
jumped off of into the water. I supposed if one were to stand on the
little table, one could fall off.
If one were "doing it" against the railing, and one party was taller
than the other, once again "ker-splash" would be possible.
Small children could, in theory, climb up on the chair, then onto the
balcony rail, and then "ker-splash" would also be possible.
Time for some "Darwin Awards!" Unfortunately the shark population does
not appear to be up to the challenge.
Cheers,
John in LALALand (On the Left Coast)
Old March 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
clint

I believe any one who drinks to "excess" should be required to have an
inside cabin(+ its cheaper!)

Old March 29th, 2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

On all the 43 cruises we have taken,we find it hard to believe someone
could just fall overboard,when we were on the costa cruise line,a man &
his wife had an argument about him making passes at some young girls,He
in no uncertain terms told her to go to hell,and leave him alone or she
would be shark food.

cruise lover

Old March 29th, 2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Have not heard about any children going overboard.

cruise lover

Old March 29th, 2007, 03:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
NWLB

Drunks will overcome all common sense and safety measures.

NWLB
**************
http://www.RoyalCaribbeanFan.com

Old March 29th, 2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian[_1_]

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:42:36 -0400, "LVTravel"
wrote:

Balcony rails are the same height as the ones on deck on all the cruise
ships I have been on. It is rather hard to "fall" over the rails. IMHO
someone who goes over the rail has to either be trying to commit suicide,
there is a murder taking place or the jerk has simply imbibed too much booze
and is trying to show off for others. Some ships that have balcony cabins
had signs saying "NO SITTING OR CLIMBING ON RAILINGS" posted frequently on
deck and at the cabin railings.

I'm 6'3" and don't remember them being so high that it would have
impossible to go over without the circumstances you describe.
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Frank F. Matthews

wrote:

Balcony rails are the same height as the ones on deck on all the cruise
ships I have been on. It is rather hard to "fall" over the rails. IMHO
someone who goes over the rail has to either be trying to commit suicide,
there is a murder taking place or the jerk has simply imbibed too much booze
and is trying to show off for others. Some ships that have balcony cabins
had signs saying "NO SITTING OR CLIMBING ON RAILINGS" posted frequently on
deck and at the cabin railings.

I'm 6'3" and don't remember them being so high that it would have
impossible to go over without the circumstances you describe.

It isn't impossible but they are not easy to slip over. As I remember
the wooden rail was just at an inconvenient point so that when I was
sitting it blocked the view of the horizon. I would guess about 4 feet
or a bit more.

One interesting speculation in the current situation was that one of the
pair was doing something dumb and started slipping. The other party
then grabbed them to try hold them and was pulled over. I suspect that
it was close enough that you could be pulled by the extra weight.

They are pretty safe but it is possible to imagine circumstances where
there could be trouble. One that bothered me was the potential for 2
side by side cabins for a group with someone locked out and trying to
crawl around instead of finding a steward. A slip and you could be in
trouble without drinking or murder. Dumb yes but not as drastic as what
LV estimated.