San Juan hotel suggestions

Old October 26th, 2007, 05:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Babie

Default San Juan hotel suggestions

I've never been to San Juan. I've read that the Empress may or may not be
docked near the airport and not in the main cruise ship dock area.

First, do any of you know which pier the ship will be docked at? (I can call
RCI if I can't find out on my own)

If the ship's docked near the airport, do you have any hotel suggestions
near there? I'd like to keep my hotel price as near $100 as possible, and
not over $150 if I can help it.

I'm kinda ticked that I can't find any over night flights so I can avoid
hotel altogether, but there seem to be none available from Albuquerque.
Still looking, though

Thanx!

LES!

--
To email me privately,
please remove YOUR CLOTHES

If you experience....
.... lasting more than 4 hours...
.... ALERT THE MEDIA!!!!

Old October 26th, 2007, 03:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Oct 26, 12:23 am, "Babie"
wrote:
[...]

Hi she dosen"t dock by the main pier"s in old san juan .The one by the
airport .
Ken G...........

Old October 26th, 2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Les... first off...

The "real" San Juan airport is about 8-10 miles from the Old San Juan area,
where the ships dock. And there is another dock across the harbor by the
OLD airport, that is used for private planes. But that's not the real
airport.

So... there is no dock near the "International" airport, which the airlines
use. From the real airport, all ships are about 5-15 minutes away
(depending on traffic).

Second... San Juan has a HUGE jump from the hotels that most people would
stay in vs. those below the minimum acceptible level.

On the acceptible list:
El San Juan
Caribe Hilton
Condado Plaza
Embassy Suites (probably the cheapest since it's not on the ocean)
Ritz Carleton
Marriott
I've stayed at all of these.
The boutique size Water Club is supposed to be very nice as well.

That's IT. Say No to anything else. Anything not on this list is an asthma
attack waiting to happen. The Radisson Normandie is a dump. The Ramada is
a dump too. Stick with that list, then compare prices. Most hotels on that
list go for about $100 more in the winter than they do in the summer.

--Tom

. ..

Old October 26th, 2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Peri

Tom K wrote:

On the acceptible list:
El San Juan
Caribe Hilton
Condado Plaza
Embassy Suites (probably the cheapest since it's not on the ocean)
Ritz Carleton
Marriott
I've stayed at all of these.
The boutique size Water Club is supposed to be very nice as well.

That's IT. Say No to anything else. Anything not on this list is an asthma
attack waiting to happen.

I'd add the Intercontinental, which we got on Priceline at a great price
a couple of years ago. It was undergoing refurbishment at the time
(although it already looked pretty good) and was a good deal.

Since you're not particular, I'd check biddingfortravel.com and go for a
San Juan resort property. Looks like you can get something quite nice
for $100 or less.

~ Peri
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:07 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On Oct 26, 3:57 pm, Peri wrote:
Tom K wrote:
[...]

A friend who travels often to San Juan gave us a great tip - El
Consulado.
It's a small hotel across the street from the Mariott in the Condado
area. The rooms are large, with heavy walls, tile floors and a
bathroom larger than some cruise ship cabins. The people who run it
are very nice. Don't know what would cause an asthma attack - but the
room was impeccably clean.

I just googled it and the first link was from Fodors which says: "One
of the loveliest buildings in Condado, this small hotel once served as
the Spanish consulate. Today the colonial-style structure, complete
with stucco walls and a barrel-tile roof, is more about affairs of the
heart than affairs of state. The comfortable guest quarters have dark-
wood furnishings that subtly evoke a bygone era. Continental breakfast
is served on a flower-filled brick patio beside the hotel, and
numerous restaurants are within walking distance."

Mark

Old October 27th, 2007, 03:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

On Oct 26, 7:07 pm, "Mark (SF)" wrote:
On Oct 26, 3:57 pm, Peri wrote:

Tom K wrote:
[...]

....oh and I just realized the original poster with the question...
Les, It's also right across the street from the all-gay Atlantic Beach
Hotel which is a real dump (DON'T stay there!) - but which has the
most popular (and fun) bar in the area - and also beach access.