Who Will Stand Up for the Kids

Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:36 PM
Howard Garland

Default Who Will Stand Up for the Kids

Jean O'Boyle wrote:

Me too, Howard~~you'd think they were all born adults!!

--Jean

Sadly Jean, I think they have lost touch with the "child" in all of us.

Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:38 PM
TBird

I was thinking that same thing. Kids are our future so why is everyone
bashing them?

There are people on the Internet who go from Usenet place to Usenet home
bashing kids. (shrug)

I just ignore 'em.

I'm not for population growth at rapid rates, because I'm not sure the planet
can handle it, but I'm not going to go around bashing the future adults who
will be paying my social security. ;-) And I have two "brats" myself, anyway.

That said, I don't think people should be prohibited from cruising because they
have kids. Under most circumstances I don't have a choice; either I don't get
to travel or I travel with my boys.

TBird ---- has found a boarding kennel for cats, but none for children at this
time... :-)

~~~~~~~
One of the Four Horsewomen of the ATH Gutter
Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:45 PM
TBird

Some people seem to be unusually disturbed by anything that doesn't fit
into their neat little definition of propriety. I'm so happy that I am
not one of them. Having taken 41 cruises on 9 different lines, I can
honestly not recall a single instance of being bothered more than
momentarily by the behavior of a child or teen.

Howard

One morning in Quaker Meeting, a child was busting in and out of the double
doors to the Meeting House. (For those unfamiliar with Quakers, "church" = an
hour of meditation, broken only by those who feel moved -or quake- to stand and
share a message.) The child had a superman cape on, and it was impossible to
ignore him. Moment by moment, the room was filling with tension. Finally the
time came for the kids to go to the Quaker equivalent of Sunday school and he
and his mother left. (His mother being the teacher.)

After a few moments of mildly tense silence, someone stood up and simply said,
"Wouldn't it be wonderful if the biggest problem we had to face in this world
was children making noise in Meeting?"

The entire room exhaled, and the tension was completely gone....

TBird ----- will never forget it
~~~~~~~
One of the Four Horsewomen of the ATH Gutter

Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:15 PM
Bare Nookey

At various times, numerous people on this board have
bitched about drinkers, smokers, children, the working class, those who
are overweight, etc. Although I love reading about ships and enjoy
being able to get useful information from many of the experienced
cruisers on the board, I wish the "perfect" people would find another
medium for their complaints and advice.

Howard

Obviously I got your goat enough for you to start an off topic thread on this.
Obviously you are a troll trying to get me to bite on this one and obviously I
fell for it (shame on me) since I am replying. I have 2 children, one who is 5
years old and one who is a teen. They have both been on cruises, although we
never went on a cruise with them until they were old enough so that we could
(and they could) enjoy the cruise. We take some cruises with them and some
without. On the cruises that they go on with us, they are very well behaved (we
obvioulsy did something right as parents) and they never cause upset to us and
more importantly to others. We have avoided Disney Lines for reasons beyond the
scope of this discussion if you will and have had a problem with people of
various ages under 18 on every cruise line we go on. The problem is not so much
kids, but "brats". Those who have parents that have obvioulsy done things in
the upbringing of children that has caused the said chidren to become a problem
when it comes to behavior that hinders others in a public setting. The other
problem is people bringing infants on a cruise. If you feel your kids can be
out of control in a confined public setting such as a cruise ship where people
are paying good money to vacation, relax, unwind and that said actions of you
and your chidren are not rude, obnoxious and annoying, surely you won't mind if
I share a cruise with you and return the favor by instructing my teen to blow
smoke right next to you, bring a boom box on deck next to you and play loud
profane rap music while my five year old runs wild and steals your towel,
spills food and drink on you and screams, laughs and yells continually until
you have a headache and are ready to kill them and me and then jump overboard.
My kids would never do this, but you get the picture...I hope. As for people
finding another medium for complaints and advice, you should practice what you
preach and take your own "advice". I am reminded of a great quote I saw once in
another world wide internet usenet newsgroup: "Welcome to this Newsgroup, nice
to have you here. Feel free to speak your mind, have a nice day and go climb
your thumb".

Bare it all
-Nookey (Who thinks Howard eats too much tofu and trail mix, likes sailboats
too much and should be out driving his green electric car instead of trolling
the internet)
Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:07 PM
E.k.R.

Interesting,
Just because many of us (probably the majority of cruisers) don't want to
take a vacation with tons of screaming, misbehaved children, suddenly we
have "lost the child in us", or think we were "born adults". I don't
understand that rationale? The bottom line is many of us have to deal with
children day in and day out. Don't come down on me or anyone else because
we don't want to be surrounded by other peoples misbehaved kids on vacation.

There are plenty of cruise lines that cater to children (Disney, Carnival,
Royal Caribbean), and in fact almost all have some type of children's
program. There is nothing wrong with a few cruise lines that don't cater to
kids and families, but to adults that like to be surrounded by like-minded
adults while on vacation. Sorry if I like stimulating adult conversation
while at dinner on vacation, not baby talk throughout the meal while the
attention of everyone has no choice but to be focused on little baby Jane.
I also like to go for a swim without being knocked over and splashed by
hordes of screaming kids. Call me old fashioned I guess. It's not that I
hate kids, I just don't want to deal with them on my hard earned vacation.

Get a grip people! The way you tell it we are all children haters just
because we don't want to cruise with them! What a joke.

Ernie

Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:08 PM
Helen

HUH? My argument is the ADULTS are blaming the KIDS for being unruly and
loud
but it is the ADULTS themselves who I saw being unruly and loud instead of
the kids.
I did not see any kids acting like those drunken adults who have to go on a
cruise and sit by the bar and drink drink drink. It just ****es me off when
adults blame the kids and they need to look at themselves once in awhile.

--
Helen
http://home.comcast.net/~hkolln66
From: "Helen"

I can remember in Feb on our anniversary cruise seeing alot of ADULTS who
were drunk and loud.

bad argument ... does not excuse anyone's behavior ...because someone else

may
be worse ...

Be seeing you
In the Village
Number 6

Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:17 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"E.k.R." wrote:

[...]

my personal favorite at an all inclusive mostly adults resort was when
parents would dine in town or in the fancy restaurant and leave their
kids to dine in the main dining rooms --- I had paid for my kids to be
cared for during our adult vacation and was not that wild about being
called on to supervise and entertain someone else's unsupervised kids --
no matter how well behaved they are, this is an imposition
Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:17 PM
E.k.R.

Touché Helen!
No argument from me. I've also seen adults acting far worse than kids.
It's amazing what a little alcohol will do.

Good point..... but I still don't want to cruise with a ship loaded with
kids.

Ernie

et...

Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:24 PM
Joan Smith

I don't care if there are kids when I am on a cruise, in a restaurant, going
to a movie, etc. But no way should I have to put up with them disturbing my
experience. I don't run to playgrounds and tell them to quiet down; nor
would I be caught dead on a Disney cruise. Why should I be negatively
affected by boisterous, rowdy behavior? I don't want to listen to drunks
making a racket, why should I have to listen to kids doing the same thing?

There are places for kids to be kids, and places for adults to not have to
listen to kids. There are also places for families and adults to share -
cruises are one of these kinds of places. REASONABLE behavior by kids is
ok. But continuing obnoxiousness, with no parental intervention is NOT.
And I have seen PLENTY of this on cruises, among other places.

It is obvious to me that a large portion of the current generation of
American parents are teaching their kids to be as self-centered as they are.
Guess what? NO, I don't think your kids are cute when they are just
obnoxious. How about some MANNERS?

Don't bother to flame me - it isn't going to change my mind.