BA carry on

Old May 11th, 2006, 07:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Default BA carry on

I've just booked a longhaul to Asia with BA and was expecting to
find that I got the same luggage allowance as for trips to thr US.

But you don't, you get the same piddly allowance as for European
flights: 23 kg plus a measly 6kg carry on, which is less than
anybody else allows.

I don't usually fly BA, so does anyone know if they strictly
enforce this carry on weight (especially to people who have
maxed out on the checked in luggage), 6kg is a joke, when
travelling for a week in Europe I used to aim to survive on
carry on only and the empty bag is 2kg, so have they reduced
it?

FWIW the ticket costs 450 and the excess luggage is 42 GBP
per kilo, so if I have 11 Kg over it would be cheaper to buy
someone a ticket and use their allowance. Does anyone want
a free holiday with no luggage :-(

tim

Old May 11th, 2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

On Thu, 11 May 2006 19:43:06 +0100, "tim \(back at home\)"
wrote:

But you don't, you get the same piddly allowance as for European
flights: 23 kg plus a measly 6kg carry on, which is less than
anybody else allows.

But miles more than I've ever needed... How much are you taking?

I don't usually fly BA, so does anyone know if they strictly
enforce this carry on weight (especially to people who have
maxed out on the checked in luggage),

I've only ever once seen anyone have their bag weighed, and that was
clearly because the guy was being an idiot, they've never weighed
mine, and it's often over 6kg (but I don't have checked in stuff)

Jim.
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

tim (back at home) wrote:

[...]

I have seen them occasionally question a carry on item. I didn't pay
attention to the question of weight or size.

You had better get some extra pockets put into your coat.

Old May 11th, 2006, 08:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

wrote:

But you don't, you get the same piddly allowance as for European
flights: 23 kg plus a measly 6kg carry on, which is less than
anybody else allows.

But miles more than I've ever needed... How much are you taking?

Enough for a 4 month trip when I'm also having to take
heaps of stuff that that the employer wants me to take.

I still haven't found out if I also need to take formal
work attire in addition to my normal casual clothes.
Usually I just work in the casuals.

tim

Old May 11th, 2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

wrote:

[...]

surely your employer will pay for company stuff

Old May 11th, 2006, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

tim (back at home) writes ...

I've just booked a longhaul to Asia with BA ... you get the
same piddly allowance as for European flights: 23 kg plus
a measly 6kg carry on ... does anyone know if they strictly
enforce this carry on weight

This comes up often among photographers, who need to carry on camera
gear or risk theft or damage in checked bags ... consensus seems to be
that BA agents are inconsistent about this, on many flights they will
check religiously while at some airports (on some days) they do not.
This is the main reason I refuse to fly BA, you never know unless you
are flying first or business class.

My one first-hand experience with this kind of policy was in Australia
.... we flew in on United and had United tix back to LAX from Sydney but
our plane from Cairns was delayed 5 hours so we missed the United
flight and were told to use our ticket on Air New Zealand, which has a
policy similar to BA ... we only had a small soft side bag each (living
on a boat fishing and snorkeling so didn't need many clothes) plus a
small camera bag, all of which was carry-on legal on both United and
Ansett ... but the ANZ agent said we had to check both bags in ... the
camera bag weighed about 18 lbs (she weighed it) and I think their
limit was 7 kilos so we were only 2-3 pounds over ... no way I'd check
in $4,000 worth of cameras and lenses in a soft bag so I told my wife
we'd just stay overnight in Sydney and catch a United flight the next
day ... we had used FF miles to upgrade to Biz class so my wife said "I
hope we can get Business Class seats on short notice" and the ANZ agent
said "Oh, if you're flying Business you can carry-on all your bags" ...
jeez ... at any rate I've avoided all the airlines with the ultra
tight-assed carry-on policies since (including Air Chile, Air New
Zealand and British Air).

Bill

Old May 11th, 2006, 09:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

On Thu, 11 May 2006 20:43:44 +0100, "tim \(back at home\)"
wrote:

But miles more than I've ever needed... How much are you taking?

Enough for a 4 month trip when I'm also having to take
heaps of stuff that that the employer wants me to take.

Then you can ship other stuff out there, there's no need to have it
all in a very short time, you can survive the first weeks no problem
surely?

Jim.
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

wrote:

[...]

One would hope so, but the if theye intended doing that
they would ship it, it will be cheaper.

But it's valuable stuff that they will want me to carry on,
but I have my own valuable stuff that I want the carry on
allowance for.
I'll find out next week what the deal is. I really think
that they haven't thought this through.

tim

Old May 11th, 2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

wrote:

But miles more than I've ever needed... How much are you taking?

Enough for a 4 month trip when I'm also having to take
heaps of stuff that that the employer wants me to take.

Then you can ship other stuff out there, there's no need to have it
all in a very short time, you can survive the first weeks no problem
surely?

I'm only going for 4 months.

What is it that you think that I might need in week 8
that I don't need in week 1?

I confess that I haven't filled my suit case with 15 changes
of clothes (which is about the number I would want to take),
three pairs of shoes plus bed clothes, travel guides,
toiletries etc, their laptop with my 'real' keyboard, extra
disk drive (for my photos) and three months supply of
medicine for my various medical problems (you just don't
want to know), and then weighed it. But last time I travelled
away for an extended period I filled up the same suitcase with
similar (no laptop as they hadn't been invented and no need
then for the medicine) and it recall that it was 25 kg and I
took a second case as well. But that was a Euro flight back
in the days when they cost 600 quid to go anwhere so the
company didn't notice 100 GBP excess.

tim