First time cruiser needs guidance:)

Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default First time cruiser needs guidance:)

We want to do a Caribbean cruise in late April for about
7 days, leaving from Miami or even Ft. Lauderdale.
Should I just go to a local travel agent to arrange this
and learn the basics of a cruise vacation, or do
you vets recommend a particular Web site?
Many many thanks!

--
Flores

Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

We have always used a travel agent. Currently we use one in our area, which
is suburban Philadelphia, but for years we used and cruised with a lady who
lives in Ventura, CA.

There are a bunch of travel agents who regularly post here and I don't
recall reading much negativity recently.

You seem to know what you want, so why not pick an agent and let them go to
work for you.

One word of warning, cruising is "addictive" and you will not stop at one
cruise.

Good cruising.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

oups.com...

Old February 2nd, 2006, 04:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message
oups.com...
We want to do a Caribbean cruise in late April for about
7 days, leaving from Miami or even Ft. Lauderdale.
Should I just go to a local travel agent to arrange this
and learn the basics of a cruise vacation, or do
you vets recommend a particular Web site?
Many many thanks!

--
Flores

DEFINITELY a knowledgeable travel agent. A good TA will ask questions to
find out what you're like... what kind of experience you're looking for...
the things that are important to you. And it doesn't have to be a local TA.
There are many good ones who post here that you can talk to on the phone.

The success of a cruise is making sure you're on the right ship. Like with
cars, no point putting you in a min-van if a Corvette is what fits your
needs. Same with ships. Gotta find the right ship for you.

--Tom

Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi, Flores,

Don't know where you live, but you can easily fly into Miami and cruise out
of FLL and vice versa. Often, folks find less expensive flights in/out of
FLL. Point is, consider both ports & figure out air later.

More ships cruise out of those ports than anywhere else in the US. You have
lots of choices! The island ports reached from Florida are generally what
will be termed "Eastern Caribbean." You will see the itineraries are very
similar. Note, don't ever get too wed to visiting a particular port, as if
there is a storm, mechanical problem, passenger emergency or other situation
that causes the captain to decide he must miss a port, you as passenger have
no recourse--you are buying a vacation on a ship, you are not buying a
destination vacation. The most expensive cruises will be on the "latest,
greatest" megaships, right now, Royal Caribbean usually commands the top
dollar in that segment. Their Voyager-class ships are, indeed, incredible
and have the best "Wow!" factor on the seas. I think everyone who has ever
done one would agree, hands down, they are worth every penny! But, there is
no bad cruise, and you may not even be interested in what those ships offer.
The less expensive cruises are usually on 'older' ships, but age is
relative, right?! A ship can be thought of as a Grand Dame at the ripe old
age of 10! That is really only because each new generation features more
bells and whistles than the one before it. There is nothing wrong with most
older ships--the cruise lines maintain them so lovingly, they will look
gorgeous, offer everything you've dreamed about a cruise vacation and take
your breath away no matter what!

I like the advanced cruise finder at Travelocity. It is very user friendly.
You can target dates, departure ports, cruise lines, etc. This would be a
great place to start to begin identifying your choices.

For all sorts of cruise lines reviews & other helpful information to get you
started, you might want to look at http://www.cruisecritic.com and
http://www.cruisemates.com Once you begin formulating ideas, go study the
discussion forums at Cruise Critic--look specifically at the cruise line you
are considering, then search for threads about the ship you are
contemplating. You will learn a lot of current info, tips and tricks! Post
questions...you'll get a lot of help.

I agree, a TA who specializes in cruises will be very helpful to you.

Your first cruise is like your first kiss or car. Sweet. And then, you're
addicted, LOL.

Have a fun time researching & planning.

Diana Ball
near Houston, TX

Old February 2nd, 2006, 05:37 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

D Ball wrote:

I like the advanced cruise finder at Travelocity. It is very user friendly.
You can target dates, departure ports, cruise lines, etc. This would be a
great place to start to begin identifying your choices.

I agree with using Travelocity.com. It is very easy to us and it will
give you an idea of what ships go where, what the different ports are
and also give you an idea of what any particular cruise should cost.
Other then when we go on a group cruise, I find Travelocity prices are
right about on target. I use them for research only and think you
should find a good, cruise only travel agent to book with.

Diana, I have to tell you that I always love your posts!!

sue
Old February 2nd, 2006, 01:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

D Ball wrote:
I like the advanced cruise finder at Travelocity. It is very user friendly.
You can target dates, departure ports, cruise lines, etc. This would be a
great place to start to begin identifying your choices.

I use travelocity to research cruises, but I always go through an agent. I
and others have had problems getting in touch with, and satisfaction from,
travelocity when I have a question or when others have had a problem. It's
only a good place to book if everything goes well

I can't stress this enough.

Using a brick and mortar agency should not cost you more for a cruise (it
may for airfare - be warned, I do my own) and since first time cruisers have
a lot of questions, it would be good to have someone you can talk to.

If you have friends who have used agents, get a recommendation. There can be
shysters out there, though IMHO not too many - and a good one is golden.

Others have made most of the other advice I would give, and I won't futher
bore folks by repeating it.

--
Julie
**********
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

D Ball wrote:
The island ports reached from Florida are generally what
will be termed "Eastern Caribbean." You will see the itineraries are very
similar.

?????

Whaddya mean? I've taken six cruises out of south Florida (Ft.
Lauderdale or Miami). Five of those have been termed "Western
Caribbean" itineraries. Some ships alternate. I know that this past
Summer, the HAL Zuiderdam was doing one week eastern, one week western.
Not sure if that's still the case.

Lee

Old February 3rd, 2006, 01:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

D Ball wrote:

snipped for space

Thanks for the **great** response Diana (and I
appreciate everyone's input, I really do!).

I think I'll follow your advice and shop on Travelocity,
then go with a local TA. This whole thing
is very new for us, with lots of unknowns.

--
Flores

Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:04 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message
oups.com...

D Ball wrote:

snipped for space

Thanks for the **great** response Diana (and I
appreciate everyone's input, I really do!).

I think I'll follow your advice and shop on Travelocity,
then go with a local TA. This whole thing
is very new for us, with lots of unknowns.

--

Flores,

Here's an interesting 4 question test to help pick a cruise line.

Let us know what comes up as an answer.

http://www.02cruise.com/LineSearch/index.asp

It will be interesting to validate what the Travel Agent tells you vs. what
the test give you.

--Tom