Carnival companies auto-tipping Question

Old April 17th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Dick Goldhaber

Default Carnival companies auto-tipping Question -To CHARLES

No, Warren. I am looking for common courtesy in response to my "thank you".

But since I have never received it, I guess that I am wrong.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"Warren H. Davis" wrote in message
m...
"Dick Goldhaber" wrote
How much trouble would it be for them to take
a piece of paper and write "Thank you"?
--

So, in other words you're looking for a thank-you from the steward,
for your thank-you to the steward.

That's genuine gratitude?

Warren

Old April 17th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Tom & Linda

Maybe it's the way you leave the tip that doesn't seem to solicit a reply.

Like I said, if you handed the envelope to the steward like we do, shake
his/her hand, (sometimes our kids (at least when they were younger) would
give him/her a hug)... maybe you get a nice "thank you" in response. We
always do. But then we make it our business to walk and find the cabin
steward to hand it personally... not just leave it for them.

In all the cruises we've taken, I don't think I've ever just left it. Linda
or I always go and find the person, or one of the kids wants to.

I know it doesn't always suit "the schedule"... but we make the effort to do
it. And there are always multiple "thank-yous" and "you're welcomes". Lots
of times we even take a photo of the cabin steward with the kids.

Plus, it's most likely the last time you'll ever see the person. Handing
the envelope seems more "personal" than just leaving it on the bed.

Next time consider doing it in person. You might find it's worth the
effort.

--Tom

news

Old April 17th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Charles

In article , Tom &
Linda wrote:

.. maybe you get a nice "thank you" in response. We
always do. But then we make it our business to walk and find the cabin
steward to hand it personally... not just leave it for them.

Next time consider doing it in person. You might find it's worth the
effort.

We think alike on this Tom. I always find them. And I have gotten
thank you, and also hope to see you again on a future cruise, etc.

Plus, it's most likely the last time you'll ever see the person.
Handing the envelope seems more "personal" than just leaving it on
the bed.

I agree, but I get the feeling that you do what I do. You have talked
to the person from the start of the cruise, found out something about
them, where they are from, etc. Not everyone is comfortable doing that.

--
Charles
Old April 17th, 2004, 06:49 PM
RTCReferee

Tom & Linda" wrote:

[...]

You sound just like us, Tom. I can't imagine not personally thanking the folks
who have made our stay so pleasant and having a snapshot made with and/or of
them. Very often we'll have something nice to give them, too, on top of a tip,
like a bottle of wine and something made impromptu and personalized for them.

Before we finally left our cabin on the Mercury, after all our goodbyes,
thank-yous, etc. we found that one of our cabin attendants had snuck back in
and left a towel animal he made for us. Yes, our one and only towel animal
was from a Celebrity cruise. :-)
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Audrey Besserman

Dear Dick:

I usually hide in lurk mode, but tonight,
I'm coming our of lurk mode for you.

You are assuming that the cabin stewards know how to write.

Audrey