Passport debate "what if"

Old July 30th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Cruising Chrissy

Default Passport debate "what if"

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:18:34 GMT, Dillon Pyron

From: Charles lid

I am not sure if you don't understand what I posted or you don't want
to understand. But I will repeat. I am using SSL email. SSL (secure
socket layer) encrypts the entire e-mail transmission.

http://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_20030219.txt

There are holes ...
The better the encryption the smaller number of people capable of breaking it
... but it never goes to zero ...
I doubt any of those capable would care about either your or my emails though

The people capable of cracking a good (DH 2048 bit, for instance)
encryption algorthm already have more information on you than you do.

Bet on it.
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:01 AM
Mason Barge

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:51:28 -0700, Jim wrote:

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:26:00 -0600, "LES!" wrote:

I decided to post a separate thread instead of jumbling up the other thread
lol.

Anyway, I'm really more curious and the other thread made me wonder.

If Me, Jarrod and Alegra were on a cruise that went to Belize, Honduras,
Panama and Costa Rica, and say in one of these 4 countries, we missed the
boat.

Would we need to have a passport to get airfare from that port city to the
next port city (For arguments sake, Costa Rica to Belize)? This would about
99.9999% guarantee a visit to the Embassy I assume? Since most of us would
have left such information on the ship.

Has this happened? How would it be handled? Would just telling the airport
(or whomever) that you were on X ship suffice?

Thanx for humoring me ;-)

LES!

One cannot stress it enough: TAKE YOUR PASSPORT WITH YOU WHEN YOU
LEAVE THE SHIP!!

Sorry for shouting but really. People, it's a foreign country, you're
a foreigner to them and a strangerin a world growing increasingly
hostile to anything perceived as suspicious. Think how folks in the
U.S. react to aliens with no identification or ability to show they
are in the country legally.

Your passport is proof you are an American citizen or legeal resident
and in some places, being a foreigner without one can get you days or
weeks in lock-up, they don't even have to notify the embassy as you
cannot prove you are entitled to that.

Mexico is pretty cool if you have good I.D. and probably most popular
tour spots for cruising,but this is a "You only have to be wrong once"
sort of situation.

Country "A" may not let you leave and country "B" probably won't let
you in without one. Some places, it's a major crominal offense to not
have a passport as a foreigner.

Finally...without a passport, you may be stuck on *our* end of the
line for a long time as the inspector may nor may not take your word
and may hold you pending further examination. *Lots* of examination.

Airlines aren't even supposed to let you board a flight to the U.S.
without proof you have a legal permit to enter, such as a passport.

Carry a certified copy of your birth certificate too and keep it and
your passport number or phtocopy of the front page with the data
someplace separate, an embassy or consulate can issue a replacement
passport almost on the spot if you have those. If you don't, it may
take several days as there's a lot of back and forth to the States and
the Passport office is both overworked and underfunded and they have
to do a lot of scrutinizing to verify your claim. Not to mention in
some countries it may take oyu hours of standing in line just to see
the right person, a *lot* of people want to get intot he U.S.

Remember, you're not going to Disneyland, you are visiting a sovereign
foreign nation, event he really friendly ones like it a lot better if
you don't act like your own laws apply there.

Jim P.

That's a bit overstated. Any place that might jail you for not
having a passport won't let you in without one in the first place. I
mean, people do have their passports stolen, or destroyed, or lost.

But I do agree, you're a newbie with a hard lesson to learn if you
don't carry your passport in a foreign country. It's really just
silly not to.

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Old July 31st, 2004, 12:05 AM
Mason Barge

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:48:51 GMT, "
wrote:

Technical question: It's it Consulates, not Embassies?

An Embassy is an official delegation to a foreign government. A
consulate is more a working shop to deal with practical matters, and
is the place where issues concerning passports and visas are taken
care of. There are, in fact, embassies without consuls that cannot
help with passport or visa matters.