Carnival

Old September 17th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Christy Bennington

Default Carnival

I'm asking for subjective opinions. We are as follows so you understand our
mindset:

Dad, Mom, 3 girls ages 11, 8 and 2. Dh and I cruised RCCL Song of America
Western Caribbean 7 nights for our honeymoon in 1991. We LOVED it! (Basic
inside cabin). For a Christmas gift 2001 we took our then 9 and 6yo girls
on Carnival Fantasy for a 4 day Bahamas cruise. (Basic Oceanview cabin) It
was fine and the Dolphin Encounter shore excursion was fabulous, but I was
disappointed. I felt like I was staying in a Holiday Inn and eating at TGI
Fridays. Nothing to ruin a vacation, but just not 'special' like our RCCL
cruise. Mind you, at home we eat at chain joints and stay in mid range
hotels so I'm no snob. We just expected more. Staff was ok with a few
wonderfuls but many exhibited the more recent American trait of 'whatever'.
Ship was fairly clean but not shiny and definitely showing wear. The kids
loved their program but the lack of daylight in their room and the fact that
it seemed to be afterthought bothered me. Almost all of the kid counselors
loved their job (or faked it well). Sadly, there were a LOT of unsupervised
children who made things tense not to mention the beer swigging, cigarette
smoking trailer trash by the swimming pool the first night. WHAT are some
people thinking?

Given the above, and the fact that Carnival was off my short list following
the cruise, am I missing something? I keep seeing your comments on
Carnival's newer ships and longer itineraries and am wondering if we should
try one. We know we like the Western itinerary for interest and I'm
wondering if the new ships are better equipped for the kids? Or, do I stick
with RCCL and my comfort zone?

Also, I see mention of different classes of ships within the same line. Can
someone explain?

Thank you so much!!!

--
Christy Bennington
Phil 4:13

Old September 17th, 2003, 06:21 PM
DaFlaBear

This is just my opinion, first of all RCI just has an overall range of
quality than Carnival.
I have traveled on Carnival back in the late 70's and as recently as two
years ago (business meeting cruise), I find them to be the low end of
the food chain of cruise lines.
RCI is always clean, has decent food and entertainment, and has VERY
friendly service.
Also, your port has a little to do with it also.
You have a higher class of people leaving out of Port Canaveral (and
even Ft. Lauderdale) than you do Miami.

Old September 17th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Howard Garland

A lot has changed since 1991. And a four-day Bahmas cruise in 2001
cannot be compared with a 7-day Caribbean cruise in 2003. Take one of
the newer ships on Carnival (Victory, Conquest, Miracle, Spirit, Pride,
or Legend). Your kids will have a blast, and if you like good food, nice
accomodations, and enjoyalbe entertainment, so will you.

Howard

Old September 17th, 2003, 06:56 PM
HDawson228

Jim, I couldn't have said it better. Was surprised at the quality of dining
room food on Fantasy though. Very good and sometimes better than Royal
Caribbean and of course the cabins are larger.
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:04 PM
villa deauville

You have a higher class of people
leaving out of Port Canaveral (and even Ft. Lauderdale)

than you do in
Miami

I have sailed from Ft. Lauderdale, Miami and Port Canaveral. I did not
change hats to cruise out of these ports. I wore the same one sailing
out of all three ports. So, where does that put me? Low, middle or high
class?

SUNNY..........finds it personally insulting
for the poster to have made such a sweeping remark

S'nd I

Old September 17th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Gayle A Kortright

Default just booked

Yippee! We just booked our dream cruise (Alaska) for May 22, 04 on the
Diamond Princess. This has been our dream for many years and it's finally
coming true. Of course, mom is going too (there's no way she'd let me out
of the house without her!) and so is a former co-worker of mine. Can't
wait.

Gayle -------jumping up and down for joy!!

Old September 17th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Jim

Christy,
Any ship that is doing the short 3/4 day cruises will show wear and
tear and the passengers will be different than on the weekly cruises. I can
say that 'generally' RCI has ships that are a bit classier, and better
personal service or at least more formal service. Carnival 'generally' has
better entertainment and food and a more relaxed atmosphere. This is also
subject to the ship, date of cruise, and itinerary as well so none of this
is hard and fast rules. The Voyager Class from RCI is very family orientated
with great shows and lots of entertainment and things to do but not much for
someone that wants to 'feel' like they are on a ship. The CCL Spirit Class
ships are much nicer than the Fantasy Class and have lots of energy but at a
'classier' level than the "megaships". I think you would do well on either
brand but you may appreciate one brand over the other when it comes to
itinerary and ships as well as what you are wanting to do on any particular
vacation.
Jim

Old September 17th, 2003, 08:24 PM
sheree

Gayle:
we just booked for aug 04 alaska! Alaska is amazing.

are you doing a cruisetour, on your own?

--
Sheree

Old September 17th, 2003, 08:59 PM
DaFlaBear

Sunny,
I sail out of all three, it's just my opinion and observation.
Clearly Port Canaveral is a nicer venue (other than the gambling ships),
aside from any "passenger" considerations.
The Disney influence is obvious.

Old September 17th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Gayle A Kortright

can't afford the cruisetour, just doing the cruise itself. Hopefully,
one of these days I'll win the Powerball Lottery and then will be able
to do the cruisetour FIRSTCLASS. Till then, peon ville!!

Gayle