Using round-trip ticket to go one way - what happens?

Old September 24th, 2003, 05:06 PM
bluecalx

Default Using round-trip ticket to go one way - what happens?

What happens if you buy a round-trip ticket and only use it one way?
Does the airline have some recourse or do they just hassle you next
time you fly with them?

And, come to think of it, what's the airline's motivation for charging
less for roundtrip tickets than they charge for one-way? I've never
really understood that..
Old September 24th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
bluecalx wrote:

What happens if you buy a round-trip ticket and only use it one way?
Does the airline have some recourse or do they just hassle you next
time you fly with them?

not likely. If you are concerned, cancel your credit card after you
complete the trip. Also, make sure you ditch just the return segement.
If you don't fly on any segment, all the subsequent ones usually get
cancelled.

And, come to think of it, what's the airline's motivation for charging
less for roundtrip tickets than they charge for one-way? I've never
really understood that..

OWs are generally unrestricted as far as changes go, cheap RTs are
often/usually very restricted.
Old September 24th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Mike Cordelli

It depends on how you purchased your tickets, if they have the necessary
information to charge you the difference, or you used a travel agency they
could go after it may make a difference. Not really sure they ever have
gone after a person for doing so, but some travel agents have said they have
gotten debit memos when caught.

Old September 24th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Peter L

"bluecalx" wrote in message
What happens if you buy a round-trip ticket and only use it one way?
Does the airline have some recourse or do they just hassle you next
time you fly with them?

And, come to think of it, what's the airline's motivation for charging
less for roundtrip tickets than they charge for one-way? I've never
really understood that..

This has been discussed very recently. If you use the first leg of a rt,
and just throw away the return, nothing happens. You can't use just the
return leg of a rt, because if you don't check in for the 1st leg, your
ticket is cancelled.

Also, rt is not less expensive than one way. Unrestricted, refundable rt is
more expensive than one way.

Old September 24th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article ,
bluecalx wrote:
And, come to think of it, what's the airline's motivation for charging
less for roundtrip tickets than they charge for one-way? I've never
really understood that..

Round trip tickets can be restricted in ways that one way tickets cannot
(e.g. saturday night stay). Some airlines discount restricted tickets
so much that they offer round trip restricted tickets for less than their
least expensive one way tickets (that have fewer restrictions).

Timothy J. Lee
Old September 24th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Mike Cordelli

Yes it is. If I fly from A to B and back to A for $189 and fly from A to B
for $500, no matter what the class of service is, round trip is less then
one way. They don't sell a one way for under $500, so class of service is
totally moot. Don't care what a unrestricted ticket costs, I want the least
expensive way from A to B, and in many cases it's by purchasing a round trip
ticket.

Old September 24th, 2003, 06:29 PM
mrtravel

Mike Cordelli wrote:
Yes it is. If I fly from A to B and back to A for $189 and fly from A to B
for $500, no matter what the class of service is, round trip is less then
one way. They don't sell a one way for under $500, so class of service is
totally moot. Don't care what a unrestricted ticket costs, I want the least
expensive way from A to B, and in many cases it's by purchasing a round trip
ticket.

In some markets you can get restricted One Way tickets.

Old September 24th, 2003, 07:37 PM
DALing

impossible to collect - while it was necessary to GO, it ISN'T REQUIRED to
RETURN (and they have NO recourse unless they can show that there was INTENT
not to return - and that takes more effort than it's worth)

news

Old September 24th, 2003, 07:39 PM
DALing

the obvious question, though, is why anyone would buy a NON-RESTRICTED RT if
they intended to only use it 1-way?