Hong Kong to Chongqing; air or train?

Old April 10th, 2007, 08:10 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Larry Mehl

Default Hong Kong to Chongqing; air or train?

Hello --

My destination is Chongqing on 1 Aug 07, flying from San Francisco.

United's seats allocated to mileage users are not available for arrival on
that date, or during a week prior.
I used miles to book a flight to Hong Kong, planning to buy a ticket from HK
to CKG.

Can anyone suggest the best strategy for doing this ... discount carriers,
etc.?

Is train travel a reasonable alternative?

Thanks for any help.

Larry Mehl

Old April 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Spehro Pefhany

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 00:10:13 -0700, the renowned "Larry Mehl"
wrote:

Hello --

My destination is Chongqing on 1 Aug 07, flying from San Francisco.

United's seats allocated to mileage users are not available for arrival on
that date, or during a week prior.
I used miles to book a flight to Hong Kong, planning to buy a ticket from HK
to CKG.

Can anyone suggest the best strategy for doing this ... discount carriers,
etc.?

Is train travel a reasonable alternative?

Thanks for any help.

Larry Mehl

Lots of flights from Shenzhen and Guangzhou to Chongqing. Regular fare
about Y1200-1300 one way, but you may be able to get some discount (as
much as 50%).

It's a long way by train (I think more than 30 hours), but it's
certainly feasible if you want to experience train travel in China.
Soft sleeper would be about the same cost as airfare.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Apr 10, 12:10 am, "Larry Mehl" wrote:
Hello --

My destination is Chongqing on 1 Aug 07, flying from San Francisco.

United's seats allocated to mileage users are not available for arrival on
that date, or during a week prior.
I used miles to book a flight to Hong Kong, planning to buy a ticket from HK
to CKG.

Can anyone suggest the best strategy for doing this ... discount carriers,
etc.?

Much cheaper to fly from Shenzhen airport. Take a speed boat from HK
to Shenzhen, bus to airport. Book your ticket from a travel agent in
HK.

Is train travel a reasonable alternative?

Long and slow.

Thanks for any help.

Larry Mehl

Old April 11th, 2007, 06:41 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Larry Mehl

Spehro and Peter --

Thank you for the information and suggestions.

My itinerary has changed so that I will enter China at Beijing, and need to
find a cheap flight from PEK to CKG.

I will post another message about this.

Larry

Old April 11th, 2007, 03:59 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

"Larry Mehl" wrote in message

Hello --

My destination is Chongqing on 1 Aug 07, flying from San Francisco.

United's seats allocated to mileage users are not available for arrival on
that date, or during a week prior.
I used miles to book a flight to Hong Kong, planning to buy a ticket from
HK to CKG.

Can anyone suggest the best strategy for doing this ... discount carriers,
etc.?

Is train travel a reasonable alternative?

Thanks for any help.

Larry Mehl- Hide quoted text -

If you have some time in Beijing, it's best to buy you ticket when you
get to Beijing.

Old April 11th, 2007, 11:55 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Larry Mehl

Peter --

Thanks for this and your response to my later message.

Larry

ups.com...