cancellations and grounding airlines

Old December 6th, 2003, 06:24 PM
thomasjojo

Default cancellations and grounding airlines

hi

I have recogniced through the telly and news, that lines like EasyJet and
other cheap airlines have a high frequency of cancellations and delay (even
grounding) compared to the other bigger as Thaiair, Quantas, Scandinavian,
BA etc.

Is that a fact? I have never used any of the low-price airlines my self,
thou, because I gladly pay a bit more for the convenience, and to go from
the bigger and easy connected airports.

If this is a fact, why do ppl dare about the cheap flight, and have to deal
with the cancellations, delay in a day or 5 hours etc??

I wouldnt!

..t

Old December 6th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Miguel Cruz

thomasjojo wrote:
If this is a fact, why do ppl dare about the cheap flight, and have to deal
with the cancellations, delay in a day or 5 hours etc??

I wouldnt!

Yeah, and why does anyone drink coffee, when I don't like the way it tastes?

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 6th, 2003, 07:43 PM
JohnT

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
thomasjojo wrote:
If this is a fact, why do ppl dare about the cheap flight, and have to deal
with the cancellations, delay in a day or 5 hours etc??

I wouldnt!

Yeah, and why does anyone drink coffee, when I don't like the way it tastes?

miguel
--

If you are referring to coffee as purveyed in the USA then, typically, it
doesn't taste of anything!

JohnT

Old December 6th, 2003, 09:51 PM
nobody

thomasjojo wrote:
I have recogniced through the telly and news, that lines like EasyJet and
other cheap airlines have a high frequency of cancellations and delay (even
grounding) compared to the other bigger as Thaiair, Quantas, Scandinavian,
BA etc.

One shouldn't compare a high frequency short haul airline with one that has
very long haul flights with fewer frequencies.

However, when an airline, in order to make maximum use of its equipment,
builds a tight schedule and uses every available aircraft, then any small
disruption on one flight will cause ripple effects on all the other flights
that particular plane had been supposed to fly that day.

The old airlines used to pad their domestic schedules with lots of time at the
airport, so if one aircraft arrived 20 minutes late, it still had one hour 40
minutes "spare time" instead of 2 hours. But this is where low cost carriers
save a lot of money by turning the plane around very fast.

Also, the old airlines had plenty of planes to play with. So if one broke
down, it was easy to replace it with a "spare" that was available at a big hub
airport, so that would stop the disruptions from trickling down to other
flights.

On the other hand, the old airlines have a tendency to hub not only their
airports, but also their flights. Get a whole bunch of flights to land at the
same time, stay on ground for 2 hours to let people connect, and then get all
thsoe planes back into the air at the same time. However, this causes havok
whenever weather or other problems reduce the number of planes that can land
or take off per hour, which means that the whole group of planes gets delayed.

So one has to look not only at aircraft turn around and availability of spare
aircraft, but also at the overall schedule and local weather patterns.

Note that since 2001, the old airlines have significantly reduced their
schedules, thus reducing the strain at hubs when weather goes bad.

After saying all that, Southwest built a lot of its client base because they
were judged to be very reliable even if they were low cost. So being low cost
doesn't necessarily equate to unreliable.
Old December 6th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Jeffrey Hacker

You're right, but the public, time and time again, has shown itself stupid
enough to do anything to save a minimal amount.

Old December 6th, 2003, 10:15 PM
thomasjojo

yes, my reason for this 'opinion chat' is because I see on the telly that
program from airports, that when people that buy cheap tickets like this,
(a lot of them) start crying, get very angry etc, when their flights is
delayed, grounded etc...

thats why its cheap!

the oposite example is my own experience, last time I went to London, few
weeks ago:

my flight was full, overbooked (as they always do), a few ppl tomuch. then
they asked us, if somebody could go via Stockholm?
2 more hours but.. I would be given £100,- or the double in tickets. nice
for me..

I said yes. arrived London, Got the money, the result was this time that
this flight was even cheap as the low-budget airlines.
he he

And I even got more bonus points! pluss dont have to pay for the food or
drinks..

I really dont understand why they dear....

m...

Old December 7th, 2003, 01:05 AM
George Orwell

JF Mezei, hiding behind his nobody trolling alias trolled:

thomasjojo wrote:
I have recogniced through the telly and news, that lines like EasyJet and
other cheap airlines have a high frequency of cancellations and delay (even
grounding) compared to the other bigger as Thaiair, Quantas, Scandinavian,
BA etc.

One shouldn't compare a high frequency short haul airline with one that has
very long haul flights with fewer frequencies.

One shouldn't spend a decade trolling usenet newsgroups and using trolling
aliases such as these:

Jean-Francois Mezei
86 Harwood Gate
Beaconsfield, QC H9W3A3