Perpignan / Pyrenees Oriental / Languedoc Roussillon advice

Old November 1st, 2004, 10:51 AM
John Owens

Hi

We have a place in that area, though not with our own pool. See
www.goodviews.co.uk for some comments on the area. It has plenty of space
and plenty to do so it never feels overcrowded or over touristy.

It is French and Catalan, and full of interest to suit all tastes. Walled
villages, Cathar Castles, hills and mountains, water sports (even inland,
try 'canyoning' and lake swimming/playing ! ).....

Beaches from Argeles nothwards are generally wide and sandy. Further south
(Collioure, Banyuoles etc.) you get combination of beach and rocky bay i.e.
Costa Brava type scenery. We found nice beach north of perpignan which is
not so 'anonymous' as some, St Mary's I think it is called.
Prices for most things probably a bit cheaper than Italy. (My wife and kids
did a few days in Italy this June . Liguria - more vivid colours than
Languedoc and wonderful sea cliffs)

Perpignan and Gerona are good cities. Probably not stay IN Perpignan though
!
Do be careful about choosing your village. Peace and quiet is nice but some
get so sleepy that you must go in a car to get anything (though this gets
worse further north in the canal du midi area).

We are a family of 4 with kids of 11 and 13 , and we are vegetarians who
eat fish.
Feel free to ask more directly.
Good luck

John

--
John Owens

Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk
"blackbat" wrote in message
Hi all,

We are a family of 5 (3 young girls) and big fans of Italian holidays,
and have recently been to Umbria, Le Marche & Tuscany in the last 3
years.

We are considering the Perpignan region or environment (radius up to
75 miles). One of the reasons is we intend to visit some friends on
the Costa Brava in Spain.

We do not like touristy areas or large crowded beaches.

Old November 1st, 2004, 10:35 PM
John Owens

"blackbat" wrote in message
Many thanks for such an in-depth reply.
What do you know of 'Arles Sur Tech' and 'Thuir' ??
Just a couple of places we've seen with decent accomodation.

I know Girona quite well. Never been to Perpignan - if it's as nice as
Girona that would be a good place to be relatively near.

Presumably remove the 'NOT' to email directly if I have a question or
two a bit later on?

Thanks again

Sorry I only know Thuir to drive through. Don't know Arles sur Tech.
My opinion may be shaped by only having limited experiences but Perpignan
is not quite as nice as Gerona - but still ok as a city to visit.
The other poster who said that the whole area is fascinating was correct.
e.g. Public monuments flying the Catalan flag and no French flag - all
without trouble and strife.

Yes, remove the NOT to get me directly.

--
John Owens

Fax 44 1509 89 08 22
www.GoodViews.co.uk

Old November 2nd, 2004, 05:51 PM
Patrick Hernan

I think you Argeles Sur Mer:

http://www.argeles-sur-mer.com/

Argeles is mainly a family vacation place. The beach is beautiful if you
can ignore the campgrounds behind it. The town of Argeles, about a mile
from the beach, is nice and a center of the local wine trade. There is a
train that runs between them.

Collioure, a few miles away, is a better choice. Really beautiful.

http://www.collioure.com/

Both towns are on the main Paris-Barcelona train line and
near the Costa Brava.

blackbat wrote:

Many thanks for such an in-depth reply.
What do you know of 'Arles Sur Tech' and 'Thuir' ??
Just a couple of places we've seen with decent accomodation.

I know Girona quite well. Never been to Perpignan - if it's as nice as
Girona that would be a good place to be relatively near.

Presumably remove the 'NOT' to email directly if I have a question or
two a bit later on?

Thanks again

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:51:00 -0000, "John Owens"
wrote:

[...]

blackbat /\x/\