Border Crossing

Old February 18th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Richard

Default Border Crossing

"The Commissioner" wrote in message

We're planning a family vacation into the states (we'll be
travelling by car) for later this year and was wondering
what the policy for border crossings is. A co-worker
recently attempted to cross and was given a hard time
because he didn't have his passport. Another co-worker
who heard that was suprised as she crossed with only her
license.

Do we need to get our passports in order? What about
crossing with our 4 year old? Will her birth certificate be fine?

Officially Canadian citizens need proof of identification (driver's license)
and proof of citizenship (birth certificate). Your passport counts as both
and is more readily accepted.

At times the US officials will be more lenient and let someone through with
only a driver's license but it's better to be safe than sorry...

Also, keep in mind that any advice you get on USENET is purely anecdotal. If
you want an authoritative answer, track down a phone number for US
Immigration and Customs (perhaps at the Lacolle crossing) and ask them.

Richard

x-posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Old February 18th, 2005, 09:57 PM
GG

What about crossing with our 4 year old? Will her birth certificate be
fine?

A birth certificate, officially, is sufficient for the 4 year old, but get
him a passport anyway. If the immigration officer has any reason at all to
suspect the boy in the car is not the boy whose name appears on the birth
certificate, be ready for some delays while you (and possibly the kid) get
questioned. Having a passport with a photo will clear up any question on
the kid's identity. Passports for kids his age only cost $37 so it's cheap
insurance.

If any of the three of you (you, the kid and the missus) have a different
last name than anyone else, then make sure to bring along the kid's birth
certificate PLUS the passport. The birth certificate will show you that you
and your missus are the kid's parents or legal guardians.

Old February 19th, 2005, 02:46 PM
BruceB

"GG" wrote in message
[...]

That's very good advice. It's not just terrorism they are checking for.
When my 18 year old daughter was about 2, we took a little trip to
Vancouver. Coming back in, we had to answer a bunch of questions because
she just didn't look like our child -- and we did have her birth certificate
(but no passport). She's adopted and doesn't have our eye and skin color,
so they gave her the onceover just to make sure we weren't smuggling her in.
We were glad they were being careful. Bottom line, get a passport. It
won't hurt.

Old February 21st, 2005, 12:55 AM
Ken Pisichko

WE had similar events with both US and Canadian authorities when we had no
passports for our young kids about 12 to 7 years ago. Our 2 sons are blue eyed
blonds like their mother and myself. I always thanked the border control types
for being vigilant. Now as they have passports the border control folks just ask
me the questions - mind you occasionally one of the boys "pops up" a volunteer
answer.

Bottom line - get a passport for the kids. the money spent is well worth it for
everyone's peace of mind.