Anchorage - [Reykjavik stopover?] - Frankfurt

Old December 9th, 2009, 10:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AES

Default Anchorage - [Reykjavik stopover?] - Frankfurt

I have to make a weird Anchorage to Frankfurt connection next June, with
a couple of days to spare between appointments.

Icelandaire seems to have a pretty good connection from Seattle with a
stop in Iceland, where they allow a stopover.

I'll have already spent several days in Anchorage, which frankly doesn't
look all that interesting; and I'll have adequate time in Germany once I
arrive (though I like spending time there).

So should I spend a day (or two) stopping over in Iceland, where I've
never been?

And if so, should I just make it an overnight stay at one of the little
coastal towns right adjacent to Keflavik Airport? Any attractive
waterfront lodgings there? Or make the slightly longer trip into
Reykjavik?

(I like seeing interesting places -- but would a quick stopover be
interesting enough to compensate for the hassles of checking into and
out of another hotel, and making another airport checkin?)

Thanks for any opinions.
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"AES" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, go via Reykjavik.

The village next to the airport (Keflavik) has a large hotel that Lofleidir
used to use for overnighting passengers but when I was there it had fallen
on slightly hard times and there wasn't much else. Go to Reykjavik would
be my advice. Look at the packages Icelandair offer.

Old December 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim....

"AES" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think that you'll get anything out of an overnight stop even if you
stay in Reykjavik, it makes Brussels look interesting. You will need to
stay two or three nights and book yourself onto one of the many tours that
are available specifically for visitors like yourself.

E.g:
www.grayline.is
www.adventure.is
www.airiceland.is
www.glacierguides.is

tim

Old December 10th, 2009, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John Doe[_2_]

From Anchorage, aren't there bus tours that bring tourists to Wasila
Alaska, where Sarah Palin was mayor ? I hear that from her house, she
could see Russia. That is bound to be some tourist attraction because of
some freak event that lets you see Russia from an inland town so far
away from ocean/russia.

There are also train rides from Anchorage to Wrangel Natl Park.