Bird flu will kill 70million

Old September 17th, 2006, 04:52 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore,rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Default Bird flu will kill 70million

Bird flu poses 'real and substantial' economic threat: WBank
AFP Sunday September 17, 01:19 PM

SINGAPORE (AFP) - A feared bird flu pandemic poses a "real and
substantial" financial threat that could wipe as much as two trillion
dollars off the value of the global economy, a World Bank expert warned
Sunday.

A severe avian influenza outbreak among humans could lop more than
three percent from world gross domestic product because of its impact
on trade and economic activity, said Jim Adams, head of a Bank
taskforce on bird flu.

That scenario assumes that one percent of the population, or about 70
million people, would die during the pandemic, according to Bank
figures.

"We estimate that this could cost, certainly over one trillion dollars
and perhaps as high as two trillion dollars in the worst case scenario.
The economic threat remains real and remains substantial," Adams said.

The World Bank warned that over the past year bird flu had "gone
global", spreading beyond East Asia to South Asia, Europe, the Middle
East and Africa.

The virus, known to pass from infected poultry to humans, has killed
more than 140 people, mostly in Asia.

The World Bank has committed financing of about 150 billion dollars for
projects in 11 countries related to bird flu.

"Our emphasis and our work is on the development challenge," Adams
said.

"We're not trying to deal with the emerging, immediate crisis but to
rebuild veterinary systems, to do the surveillance work that has to be
done and to put in place the strengthening of health systems," he told
a press conference as IMF and World Bank officials gathered for their
annual meeting.

Scientists fear that a significant mutation of the H5N1 strain of bird
flu that would allow the virus to spread easily among humans could lead
to a global flu pandemic with a potentially huge death toll.

Old September 17th, 2006, 08:08 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore,rec.travel.air
Ma-phrao

Comparing to the west(the Farang) where most of their cultures like to
live in a clean and good hygien envrironment will be the less likely
people to die from this bird flu, SARS or other disease. Most of the
govornments in Asia have closed their eyes to the very bad hygien in
their countries and their people will be the one to suffered the most.
eg. the most dirtier place in Thailand is the Bangkok Floating Markaet
where the majority of our Thai don't see it as a dirty place at all
because that is the way we have live for generations. It is normal for
us even the peole who live nearby used it as toilet.
Simply to say that China, Vietrnam, Laos, Cambodia, Burma, Phillipines,
Malaysia and Indonesia will suffered the most because of their cultures
of living blindly to the ugly dirty hygien of their cities and towns.
As a matter of fact to proof my point; SARS and Bird flu had originated
from a country that has the worse hygiene in the world.
To prevent the epidemic of the disease in Asia is to change its culture
first.

Old September 18th, 2006, 06:06 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore,rec.travel.air
Touchestore

It's ok, the world is overpopulated, anyway. And filled with oppressive
people and killers and what-have-you. Let's go for it, God!

ups.com...

Old September 18th, 2006, 10:44 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.malaysia,soc.culture.singapore,rec.travel.air
Sco

They found out that SARS is very week virus. Only ultra violet light can
kill SARS virus. However, scientists have no idea about bird flu. Bird Flu
can change in many forms. Bird Flu originated in the US and Mexico. It was
discovered in a different name. It keeps changing such that it can be
different one. Nevertheless, there were the same Bird Flu virus in many
shape.

ups.com...

Old September 19th, 2006, 04:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected][_1_]

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:06:18 +0800, "Touchestore"
wrote:

It's ok, the world is overpopulated, anyway. And filled with oppressive
people and killers and what-have-you. Let's go for it, God!

I agree with this poast!

oups.com...