NZ weather in November--what to pack?

Old October 22nd, 2003, 03:00 AM
Sarah

Default NZ weather in November--what to pack?

All,

Thanks to the people on this group, I have my final itinerary for New
Zealand. I'll be there the third week of November.

So my question is--what type of clothing should I pack?

I'm going to be on the South Island the whole time, doing a circle from
Christchurch, to Te Anau/Milford Sound, then up the west coast (to the
glaciers), through Arthur's Pass to return to Christchurch.

All the books I have say that November is summer, but I realize that some of
these areas are quite mountainous. And the fact that the glaciers are there
year-round tells me that it shouldn't be too hot.

I'm trying to pack light, but I don't want to do laundry. What sorts of
clothes should I pack? If I wear a sweatshirt and have a fleece, should
that be enough? What about at night?

Thanks so much! I am getting excited....

Sarah

Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:30 AM

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:00:13 -0400, "Sarah"
wrote:

All,

Thanks to the people on this group, I have my final itinerary for New
Zealand. I'll be there the third week of November.

So my question is--what type of clothing should I pack?

I'm going to be on the South Island the whole time, doing a circle from
Christchurch, to Te Anau/Milford Sound, then up the west coast (to the
glaciers), through Arthur's Pass to return to Christchurch.

All the books I have say that November is summer, but I realize that some of
these areas are quite mountainous. And the fact that the glaciers are there
year-round tells me that it shouldn't be too hot.

I'm trying to pack light, but I don't want to do laundry. What sorts of
clothes should I pack? If I wear a sweatshirt and have a fleece, should
that be enough? What about at night?

Thanks so much! I am getting excited....

Sarah

Watch out when your in Canterbury/Christchurch for the nor-westers!
These are very hot dry winds!

Consider items that you can layer.
If you don't want to take a raincoat, it may be handy to take some
disposable raincoats or ponchos and perhaps a foldup umbrella 'just in
case'. I've always managed to get two or three wears out of a
disposable raincoat but remember, take a ziplock back with you to pop
it into [wet] if you want to save it for 'another rainy day'.

"Recommended Clothing

Dress is informal and relaxed on most occasions. Smart casual clothes
are acceptable at most restaurants and night-spots. Men are generally
not expected to wear suits and ties, except in a few of the top formal
bars and restaurants in major cities.

In summer a light jacket or sweater should be included in your luggage
should the weather turn cooler or you visit higher altitudes. You can
expect some rain, so include a light rainproof jacket or coat. If
visiting between May and September, pack warm winter garments and
layer your clothing."
http://www.newzealand.com/index.cfm/...6892A5EAF.html

Have a great trip!
Post an update upon your return!

Cath
Old October 22nd, 2003, 07:34 AM
Mike

Hello Sarah,

Like most places, NZ gets its best, settled summer weather in late summer.
Being a maritime climate, we gets lots of short rainy spells blowing across
the Tasman Sea, but it never gets cold and rainy for very long in spring and
don't forget that fiordland is one of the rainiest places outside the
tropics.
I guess I'm saying you need to prepare for a mix of conditions. You need to
think layers, light stuff you can combine for when it gets cool, but the
south island - especially inland can turn on some scorchers! I don't know
where you are travelling from, but I can certainly say from experience (I am
English, but 25 yrs in NZ) that it never gets as bad as the chilly
easterlies we used to get blowing in from Europe. Also NZ is very casual
regarding dress standards. Only the snobbiest restaraunts expect
dress/shirt & tie. jeans & sweat shirts/T shirts are fine. If you are
planning any bush walking, the layered stuff is essential - as is a
waterproof outer. Make sure you get at least a little of the bush
scenery -even after 25 years it takes my breath away!
Enjoy what I am sure will be a great experience.

MIKE

Old October 23rd, 2003, 03:42 AM
Geoff Rait

In , "Sarah" wrote:

I'm trying to pack light, but I don't want to do laundry. What sorts of
clothes should I pack? If I wear a sweatshirt and have a fleece, should
that be enough? What about at night?

You'll be fine with a single midweight or heavier fleece. There's no need
for insulated pants or jacket - although the south of the South Island *can*
get cool in November, it's not the Rockies; for most of your journey, you'll
be close to sea level. If you really want to be on the safe side, take a
wool hat and some polypro gloves as well, or buy the hat in Chch, Queenstown
or Te Anau (you should be able to find a nice tacky one with kiwis or sheep
all over it).

Essential on the route you're doing - especially if you plan to do even a
short hike off the Te Anau-Milford road - is a good waterproof/breathable
raincoat.

Geoff

--
Actually, I do have spots.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 10:03 AM
alfred

Sarah wrote:

All,

Thanks to the people on this group, I have my final itinerary for New
Zealand. I'll be there the third week of November.

Hey, Sarah, glad to hear you have things sorted. No Dunedin leg - shame.

So my question is--what type of clothing should I pack?

I'm going to be on the South Island the whole time, doing a circle from
Christchurch, to Te Anau/Milford Sound, then up the west coast (to the
glaciers), through Arthur's Pass to return to Christchurch...
I'm trying to pack light, but I don't want to do laundry. What sorts of
clothes should I pack? If I wear a sweatshirt and have a fleece, should
that be enough? What about at night?

At the moment in Dunedin, we have had quite a few t-shirt days so I'd
count on that being the norm: putting on a sweatshirt and then fleece as
you head to the glaciers should see you right. If you're going walking,
think about rainwear, however. You were doing the B&B thing for
accomodation, weren't you? Unless you're wanting to dress up, then a
sweatshirt should be fine in terms of keeping warm.

Old October 24th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Geoff McCaughan

Sarah wrote:

What about at night?

Commando

Old October 24th, 2003, 04:16 AM

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:00:13 -0400, "Sarah"
wrote:
[msge snipped]
What about at night?

Thanks so much! I am getting excited....

Sarah

Where are you staying?
Hotel, hostel etc?
Generally, these places are heated.
I would only pack a lightweight nightie or pj's.
If for some reason you get cold, you could always pop on a sweater,
sox etc.

Cath