Request tip and suggestions on how to cruise with Celiac disease

Old April 18th, 2009, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Billy Boy

Default Request tip and suggestions on how to cruise with Celiac disease

Hello,

Thanks for reading. Please looking for tips and suggestions on how to cruise with Celiac
disease.

Will speaking to the Maître de help? Should I tip in advance to get better service with
gluten free meals? Or, am I just on my own and have to be careful with what I eat?

I plan to take gluten free bread with me and have a slice toasted every morning for
breakfast and also take lots of rice crackers to eat as needed. And eat lots of fruit and
meat and vegtables.

I'd appreciate any tips and suggestions.

Thanks.

Bill

Old April 18th, 2009, 05:13 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 11:55:45 -0400, Billy Boy wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for reading. Please looking for tips and suggestions on how to cruise with Celiac
disease.

Will speaking to the Ma?tre de help? Should I tip in advance to get better service with
gluten free meals? Or, am I just on my own and have to be careful with what I eat?

I plan to take gluten free bread with me and have a slice toasted every morning for
breakfast and also take lots of rice crackers to eat as needed. And eat lots of fruit and
meat and vegtables.

I'd appreciate any tips and suggestions.

Why the **** don't you contact the cruise company?

I see no reason why they can give you a gluten free menu.
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Billy Boy wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for reading. Please looking for tips and suggestions on how to cruise with Celiac
disease.

Will speaking to the Maître de help? Should I tip in advance to get better service with
gluten free meals? Or, am I just on my own and have to be careful with what I eat?

I plan to take gluten free bread with me and have a slice toasted every morning for
breakfast and also take lots of rice crackers to eat as needed. And eat lots of fruit and
meat and vegtables.

I'd appreciate any tips and suggestions.

First thing you should do is have your travel agent notify the cruise
line that you need a gluten free diet. When you do your online
registration there should be place you can mark that you need gluten free.

As soon as you board the ship go and check with the MaitreD and make
sure he is aware of your needs. Every night he will bring you the menu
for the next night and you will be able to choose what works for you.
They will also change the way a dish is made if necessary. They made my
husband veal parmigiana without the breading that he can't have because
of his diabetes.

In the dining room you will do fine and they should have gluten free
bread for you. At the buffet you are mostly on your own, sometimes you
can find someone who knows what is what, but not always.

sue
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Billy Boy" wrote in message
Hello,

Thanks for reading. Please looking for tips and suggestions on how to
cruise with Celiac
disease.

Will speaking to the Maître de help? Should I tip in advance to get better
service with
gluten free meals? Or, am I just on my own and have to be careful with
what I eat?

You don't mention what cruise line you are going on but here are some
general pointers.

You should have your TA notate your reservation that you need a gluten free
diet. Most cruise lines will make sure you have gluten-free bread and/or
rolls in the dining room. Usually, the Maitre 'd will bring you the next
day's menu at dinner and you can discuss with him the things you would like
to order... and he can tell you what to watch out for. Some dishes can be
prepared for you without flour... like leaving off the gravy, etc.

The dining room menus are varied enough so that you should be able to find a
number of items to have without special preparation. Of course, at the
buffets you are on your own but the selection is so varied that avoiding
gluten dishes is not a problem.

In my experience, none of the cruise lines I have been on have a special
gluten-free menu. Just be careful, confer with the Maitre 'd and you should
be fine.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

Cruise Specials Weblog http://cruisemaster.typepad.com/my_weblog/

May 10, 2009 ALASKA http://www.cruisemaster.com/moagc4.htm
January 10, 2009 Southern Caribbean
http://www.cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm
October 16, 2010 OASIS http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com

Old April 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Billy Boy :

Hello,

Thanks for reading. Please looking for tips and suggestions on how to cruise with Celiac
disease.

Will speaking to the Maître de help? Should I tip in advance to get better service with
gluten free meals? Or, am I just on my own and have to be careful with what I eat?

I plan to take gluten free bread with me and have a slice toasted every morning for
breakfast and also take lots of rice crackers to eat as needed. And eat lots of fruit and
meat and vegtables.

I'd appreciate any tips and suggestions.

Thanks.

Bill

If you're agent contacts the line, you'll have no problems. But
he/she needs to do it early, typically 2 to 3 weeks in advnace.

--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th. US income taxes
are due on April 15th. Coincidence? I think not.