More on the Aurora, a P&O sailing disaster?

Old April 13th, 2009, 10:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RsH

Default More on the Aurora, a P&O sailing disaster?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...ed-cruise.html

Aurora limps back to Britain after 'ruined' cruise

The stricken cruise ship Aurora has arrived back in Britain amid the
threat of legal action from passengers.

Last Updated: 8:14PM BST 13 Apr 2009
Aurora cruise ship: Curse of the Aurora as passengers revolt
Angry passengers staged a revolt on a luxury Southampton cruise ship
after the vessel visited just two ports in 22 days.

Engine trouble forced the ship to miss out three ports in New Zealand
and two in the Pacific Islands on the £16,000 per passenger
round-the-world trip. It meant passengers for 22 days of the 93-day
trip, passengers visited just two ports.

P&O said passengers will receive compensation including £500 and a
refund of the cost of four days' cruising.

But the protest group - dubbed the Aurora Committee - is threatening
to sue the company for compensation.

It is just the latest in a history of failings and bad luck for the
ship after the naming ceremony bottle failed to smash.

Speaking after disembarking in Southampton, Hants, committee member
Jennifer Dunthorne, 63, said: "I have just retired and this cruise is
not something that I could afford to do again - it was a once in a
lifetime chance to see some amazing places.

"We paid a lot of money for this cruise - some people even said they
had saved for 20 years.

"There were people spending wedding anniversaries onboard and their
cruise was ruined."

Problems on the 76,000-tonne Aurora began within hours of leaving
Sydney Harbour last month when it developed engine problems.

The ship limped to Auckland, New Zealand, where the 1,736 passengers
were told each day for six days that the ship could not leave port.

This meant missing out on stops at Wellington, Napier, Bay of Islands,
and Moorea and Tahiti in French Polynesia.

A spokeswoman for P&O said: "In recognition of this we have since
offered a compensation package which we believe to be a fair
reflection of the disruption to the cruise."

On her maiden voyage, passengers were compensated a total of £6
million after the ship broke down in the Bay of Biscay and had to
return to port. In 2003 the norovirus bug affected a high number of
passengers.

And in January 2005 P&O cancelled a much-delayed world cruise because
of propulsion system problems on the 200 million pounds ship.

Last year hundreds of passengers had to undergo tests on board Aurora
to see whether they had contracted a deadly strain of hepatitis.
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake RsH :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...ed-cruise.html

Aurora limps back to Britain after 'ruined' cruise

The stricken cruise ship Aurora has arrived back in Britain amid the
threat of legal action from passengers.

Last Updated: 8:14PM BST 13 Apr 2009
Aurora cruise ship: Curse of the Aurora as passengers revolt
Angry passengers staged a revolt on a luxury Southampton cruise ship
after the vessel visited just two ports in 22 days.

snip

On her maiden voyage, passengers were compensated a total of £6
million after the ship broke down in the Bay of Biscay and had to
return to port. In 2003 the norovirus bug affected a high number of
passengers.

And in January 2005 P&O cancelled a much-delayed world cruise because
of propulsion system problems on the 200 million pounds ship.

Last year hundreds of passengers had to undergo tests on board Aurora
to see whether they had contracted a deadly strain of hepatitis.

Um, I think the owners might benefit from another sea trial. One in
which a seacock is accidentally opened. All aboard would be saved,
but the ship, tragically, would be lost in at least 6000 feet of
water.

As the H&R Block commercial says "I have people".
--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th. US income taxes
are due on April 15th. Coincidence? I think not.

Old April 21st, 2009, 12:59 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 4/17/2009 9:02 PM Dillon Pyron "tweaked" on too much Starbucks said:
[Default] Thus spake RsH :

[...]

Put it on auto-pilot and sail it off the Somalia coast. Then when the
pirates take her, remote control open all the seacocks. I think
"Mythbusters Adam and Jaime would know how to make this happen. O:-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera