Why Defend RCCL

Old April 2nd, 2009, 02:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
G&V[_8_]

Default Why Defend RCCL

It is hard to understand why RCL is being defended on here by some for
taking away benefits.
Cruisers worked long and hard to get to Diamond only to have the goal post
moved further away.
One reason for some many Diamond members is that the program is a success.
The very program that brought RCL success is being changed and thousands of
Diamond members are being alienated.
We have asked Princess if they will credit us for our RCL points for our
switching our loyalty to Princess for our future cruises.
When big business takes something away from you, don't agree with it, and
don't lay down and take it.
We have written RCL and told them that we have backed off on purchases
onboard, purchase nothing at Labadee and Coco Cay, and whenever possible
are making our own arrangements in port for tours.
A 4 hours port tour that RCL charges close to $100 for, is being offered to
hotel
guests in port for much less for the entire day.
In the past we have accepted the increases in future purchases, however,
taking away Diamond benefits is something we already had.
It is disloyal of RCCL.
G&V
Port Saint Lucie Florida

Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On Apr 2, 9:35�am, "G&V" wrote:
[...]

Get used to things being taken away!
RCCL was overcrowded in the CLub lounge its amazing how many will do
for a free drink! I think that 3 to 5 night cruises should only get
1/2 a point cause there is those that take these just tog et to 10 and
paid like $149 for their cruise. I also think that those that are
there should be grandfathered... but the small ships can not handle
it. to many people

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
mike

Talk with your wallet - we did! Last year after our 4th consecutive RCL
cruise I began looking for this years cruise only to find that in order
to cruise 7 days out of Florida (Miami and FLL specifically) it was
impossible to avoid the larger Freedom class ships with their larger
than life price tags and in most cases 3 days at sea. We booked and just
came back a month ago from Princess.

This year once again I ran into the same problem. We booked Carnival
Valor instead for next year at $1000 cheaper than any 7 day cruise out
of FLL or Miami on RCL. Loyalty programs are not really designed to keep
you loyal by giving you great perks. They are designed to make you
*think* like you're getting great perks while all the time hooking you.
Shop around and leave RCL in your dust. Forget their loyalty program
because in a year or two I will be very surprised if there even is a RCL
around.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article ,
Mike wrote:

Talk with your wallet - we did! Last year after our 4th consecutive RCL
cruise I began looking for this years cruise only to find that in order
to cruise 7 days out of Florida (Miami and FLL specifically) it was
impossible to avoid the larger Freedom class ships with their larger
than life price tags and in most cases 3 days at sea. We booked and just
came back a month ago from Princess.

I never have understood the obsession of the frequent cruiser stuff
anyway. I book based on the boat and the itinerary. If I get a couple
free drinks, a meal at Johnny Rockets, or a few minutes of free Internet
time, that is gravy. Hardly a deal breaker.

--
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
-Unknown

Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On Apr 2, 9:35*am, "G&V" wrote:

Cruisers worked long and hard to get to Diamond

I see this as the real problem. The notion of "working long and hard"
when thinking about cruises just doesn't compute.

Warren
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
RayC

Warren wrote:

I see this as the real problem. The notion of "working long and hard"
when thinking about cruises just doesn't compute.

Warren

ROFLMAO!!

Hey .... It's hard work sitting by the pool, hitting the buffet and
sitting through those shows!!

--
Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On Apr 3, 12:05*am, Warren wrote:
On Apr 2, 9:35*am, "G&V" wrote:

Cruisers worked long and hard to get to Diamond

I see this as the real problem. The notion of "working long and hard"
when thinking about cruises just doesn't compute.

Warren

Exactly ... I did a double take when I read that ...

Also,
If missing a perk is a reason for dumping the cruise ... The cruise
wasn't worth it to begin with ...

With my status with NCL I get a couple of extra snacks in my room at
times ... and an invitation to a sales pitch with a couple of free
drinks ... and some other things tha are so important I don't even
recall what they are...
Whoopee Doo ...
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

"number6" wrote in message

Also,
If missing a perk is a reason for dumping the cruise ... The cruise
wasn't worth it to begin with ...

With my status with NCL I get a couple of extra snacks in my room at
times ... and an invitation to a sales pitch with a couple of free
drinks ... and some other things tha are so important I don't even
recall what they are...
Whoopee Doo ...

But what if the Concierge was the person who had access to booking golf Tee
Times at the Private Courses in Bermdua? If I lose that... not sure if the
regular registration desk can do the same thing... While it may not be a
reason to dump a cruise, it was a significant perk that made me happy on an
ininerary that sucked (2 days at the Wharf) because it enabled me to make
the best use of my time in Bermuda.

--Tom

Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Apr 3, 12:04*pm, number6 wrote:
On Apr 3, 12:05*am, Warren wrote:

On Apr 2, 9:35*am, "G&V" wrote:

Cruisers worked long and hard to get to Diamond

I see this as the real problem. The notion of "working long and hard"
when thinking about cruises just doesn't compute.

Warren

Exactly ... I did a double take when I read that ...

Also,
If missing a perk is a reason for dumping the cruise ... The cruise
wasn't worth it to begin with ...

With my status with NCL I get a couple of extra snacks in my room at
times ... and an invitation to a sales pitch with a couple of free
drinks ... and some other things tha are so important I don't even
recall what they are...
Whoopee Doo ...

You kind of make the point on behalf of Diamond and frequent cruisers
of any line really. Almost every good customer PERK is BULL. Coupons
books that require large purchases for minimal perk etc. The concierge
lounge was the exception. Provided a nice place to meet other frequent
cruisers and have a nice complimentary cocktail. The fact that they
are now over burdened with GOOD customers should lead them to expend
the program not curtail it. They have eliminated me from lounge I have
eliminated them from cruise selection process. I would rather sale
Carnival and know that all is pretty much as is no matter customer
frequentcy or cabin/suite selection. Instead better rate is fine.
Their Princess product actually gives frequent cruisers real bennies
useful and money saving such as free internet and free laundry
service.

I stopped sailing RCL after their customer service concierge request
( allow traveling friends ONE cruise shy of diamond in during our
cruise or Mariner ) turn down. Turned this frequent cruiser away. Now
it appears they want to get rid of a bunch more frequent cruisers.
They must know something we don't just like all the high paid
financial bank guys that were so smart.

George in NY
Sailing Sapphire Princess May 2 - last cruise 2008 Carnival Miracle -
final RCL cruise 2008 RCL Mariner.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

I stopped sailing RCL after their customer service concierge request
( allow traveling friends ONE cruise shy of diamond in during our
cruise or Mariner ) turn down. Turned this frequent cruiser away.

George in NY

But that example is a prime example of the root of the problem,
George. Overtaxing the concierge lounge by granting access to those
who haven't earned the privilege diminishes the value the cruise line
can convey in granting concierge lounge privileges to those who have
earned them. It's not reasonable for "almost Diamond" or "almost
Platinum" frequent cruisers to expect to receive perks they haven't
yet earned.

I don't really get the fuss. If you are a frequent flier, you know the
rules, and they are strictly enforced. There are crazy people who fly
a bunch a trips in late December just to bridge the final gap between
one level and the next. We actually did it one year because the
benefits of the next level (which we had enjoyed that calendar year)
were so great, we were motivated to go to the trouble and expense to
maintain them for a successive calendar year.

Diana Ball
Austin, TX