Roatan

Old January 4th, 2004, 03:52 AM
ErinP

Default Roatan

Originally posted by Donna

I have recently discovered Roatan. Can anyone give me an idea of
what the

Island is like. I've read the recent posting re this island but
would like

more detail. From what I've seen on the internet there seems to be
a budding

tourist industry.

Thanks

I've been going to Roatan off and on for ten years and after visiting
many other places in Central America and Mexico, it keeps drawing me
back. I've found the locals and expats to be very friendly after a
short time and it feels like a second home to me around West End. I
haven't noticed some of the negative things posted here about it. The
only problem I've found is occasional petty theft, but of course a
person shouldn't be walking in the dark, drunk, at midnight, or they may
have other problems.

A couple websites that I've found useful are
http://www.roatanet.com and ]http://www.travel-to-
honduras.com[/url] (check the articles and news section for diving
guides and eating guides at Travel to Honduras).

Diving is great of course, but the big draw for me is the snorkeling off
the far dock in West Bay. I've seen more rays and turtles there than
when I've dove. When snorkeling, stay out of the boat traffic lanes,
thus the recommendation of the far dock.

Regards to all.